Author Topic: ar with interchangeable barrels correction multi caliber AR  (Read 8304 times)

silverback

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ar with interchangeable barrels correction multi caliber AR
« on: October 09, 2009, 04:58:10 PM »
Help!!!!!!

tired of searching web and getting no results.  i remember seeing on one of the cable shows that one manufacture had developed an AR that the barrels could be swapped out with ease to allow operator to go from .223 to 7.62 no fuss no muss.   i just wanted to check it out in detail.

I know you guys will steer me in the right direction.

thanks in advance

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: ar with interchangeable barrels?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:46:32 PM »
A new upper will do it. Its easy to swap out, no tools required (in theory), But I've never heard of just interchangable barrels.

FQ13

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 05:52:55 PM »
A new upper will do it. Its easy to swap out, no tools required (in theory), But I've never heard of just interchangable barrels.

FQ13

They may be around, but I've never seen or heard of one.  If you went from .223 to 7.62 you would need more than a barrel right?  You'd need a new bolt assembly too.  In fact MBs recent blog entry is the only AR quick change barrel I've ever seen.

silverback

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:34:34 PM »
i knew i would find it.   wrong search terms.  used multi caliber this time  found two good resources:

this was the one i had seen on recent programs:
http://www.robarm.com/

their model XCR

Now this one is a whole new beast!!!!!

http://www.mgimilitary.com/company.htm

check out the products and online store.    Man if i only had a gazillion bucks!

http://www.defensereview.com/mgi-hydra-qcb-modularmulti-caliber-ar-weapons-system-for-specops/

http://www.allbusiness.com/government/government-bodies-offices/8892539-1.html
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: ar with interchangeable barrels correction multi caliber AR
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 06:57:20 PM »
Future weapons on the Military channel had a segment on the XCR, and went through a "conversion" exercise that was about as no muss no fuss as one can get.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:02:41 PM »

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 07:36:03 PM »
The barrel on the XCR can be changed just by loosening the barrel bolt. You would have to replace the bolt, barrel and magazine, thet can also be change to 6.8 spc and they are working on 6.5 grendel.  I have one in 5.56, wonderful gun. They are currently taking about 6 months if you order one.  they have also come out with a pistol version and if you want SBR if you go to the trouble of getting a tax stamp. I blame the members of the forum for making me by mine. If you get one you won"t be sorry. The first time you fire it and there is no sproing in your ear from the ar recoil buffer will make it worth every cent you pay. Go to XCRFORUM.COM or robarms.com.

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 03:26:20 PM »
Remember that the XCR isn't an AR.
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »
LMT makes an AR where you take 1 screw out and loosen another screw to change barrels. I don't know what calibers are available besides 5.56.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 456
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 03:23:51 AM »
LMT makes an AR where you take 1 screw out and loosen another screw to change barrels. I don't know what calibers are available besides 5.56.

I have a buddy that has an LMT in 6.8 SPC. I believe the barrels swap out between that and the 5.56 MM.  Bill T.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 04:09:29 PM »
I have a buddy that has an LMT in 6.8 SPC. I believe the barrels swap out between that and the 5.56 MM.  Bill T.
Does that work in terms of accuracy etc? I haven't seen the two rounds side by side, but we're talking over a millimeter's difference. .38 vs .357 or .44 mag vs .44 special, its pretty much the same bullet and brass, just different lenghths. I would be curious as to how this actually works.
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk