Author Topic: Personal Protection Revolver Ammo Choices  (Read 9202 times)

bestseller92

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Personal Protection Revolver Ammo Choices
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 07:29:18 AM »
I use either Federal or Remington 125 grain Magnum JHPs in all three of my .357s (a 6" Taurus 669, 4" Ruger GP100 and 3 1/16" Ruger SP101).

Can't beat the proven track record of this particular load.
"In self-defense and in defense of the innocent, killing is not murder, hesitation is not moral, and cowardice is the only sin". -- page 306, "The Darkest Evening of the Year", Dean R. Koontz.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 08:58:08 AM »
S&W loaded a round a while back called the "Chief's Special".  It was loaded with a Nyclad (polymer coated) bullet and made specifically for short barrel revos before they were factory rated for +P ammo.  Federal bought the rights for this ammo from S&W and produced it for a while and then dropped it.  They are making it again.  I have all 3 generations of this ammo for use in my 642.  If you or someone who might need to shoot your revo and might be recoil sensitive should give this a try.

FWIW

Richard

PS:  You can also fall back on one of MB's favorites WW Silvertips!
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 11:23:41 AM »
S&W loaded a round a while back called the "Chief's Special".  It was loaded with a Nyclad (polymer coated) bullet and made specifically for short barrel revos before they were factory rated for +P ammo.  Federal bought the rights for this ammo from S&W and produced it for a while and then dropped it.  They are making it again.  I have all 3 generations of this ammo for use in my 642.  If you or someone who might need to shoot your revo and might be recoil sensitive should give this a try.

FWIW

Richard

PS:  You can also fall back on one of MB's favorites WW Silvertips!

Ellis, it might be worth your while to save 1 full box of each generation of those rounds, same with any of you who have other "Odd" cartridges and calibers, such as "Black Talons". There are people who collect cartridges, heck, even ammo BOXES if the printing is legible.

SigShooter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »
After a little research, I've decided that Speer Gold Dot 135 gn. +P are my choice for my 642. They are very punchy, but the end results are worth it. Plus, it was designed for short barrels and it's been out a long time.

From my cold dead hands...to my next of kin to further our rights.

Never to the government. They can buy their own.

kmbrman

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 02:25:24 PM »
My Taurus 605 seems to have the sights set for 125+P 38Sp. JHP when bought as new in the box.  When going to the specialty loads such as 110 JHP Hornady Critical Defense be sure to target your gun to see where they hit ,if that is going to be your carry load! From the 605, mine shoots about 2" to the right at 20 ft. and about 2" low as well. Just to let you know . BTW if you care about the service life of these J framed sized guns ,it's best to limit the 357mags to the larger framed guns, regardless of what manufacturers say.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:46:22 AM »

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 01:08:23 PM »
I use 147 gr Winchester silvertips in my .357. Have carried cheap brand 158 grain hollowpoints. I have a friend who carries Federal Hydra- Shoks in his 640. I wouldn't feel undergunned with either load, as long as my gun shot it accurately. My 357 Seems to shoot 147 and 158 grain bullets to the same point of aim out to 25 yards or so.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 05:14:47 PM »
When I had a short barreled .357, Winchester made 110gr. JHP's (they probably still do I just haven't seen them in a while),

The recoil and follow up shots were not too bad.

The 4" Ruger Police Service Six, I had felt really good with anything, but the 158gr Federal Hydra Shocks are tried and true.

Now my Interarms Amadeo Rossi which has a 6 inch barrel, the "bump in the night" pistol, has a rotation of Federal, Hornady, Corbon, or Speer.

For home SD, I like a heavier bullet as distance is usually not going to be factor.

If I leave town, I leave it with the wife with Speer 125 gr JHP LE .38's.

Plenty of good name brand ammo for SD out there.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

ROBSTER

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 06:21:49 PM »
Does not make a difference if you shoot 110 grain or up to 200 grain the best ammo is what ever you can shoot accurate and still be able to remain on target for follow up shots.The size of the mushroom won`t make a difference if you don`t hit your target!!

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 03:13:02 PM »
As long as you carry quality, US made, major manufacturer self defense ammo, you are ok.  They all make claims to be the best, but you can carry any with confidence.  Speer makes some Gold Dot ammo for short barrel guns to compensate for the pressure lost by shooting a snubby. 

To those who recommend Brand A as "the best," how do you know?  I mean, other than your pistol will function with it, what do you know about the terminal performance of the bullets?  Shooting a blob of Jell-O?  Have you shot anyone with them? 
Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 06:40:22 PM »
 Sticking with Pioneers criteria the only thing you need to find out is which ones feed reliably in YOUR pistol.
Other wise they are all working with the same science.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk