Author Topic: How Old Is Too Old Regarding Handloads??  (Read 2335 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
How Old Is Too Old Regarding Handloads??
« on: October 27, 2009, 05:28:07 AM »
I thought I would post this because so many people at one time or another ask how long reloads will last. Yesterday I took my new Savage Model 110 FCP-K out to the range to wring it out. I gathered up a lot of different .300 Win. Mag. ammo I had laying around. I found a yellow plastic box of handloads I had loaded up way back in 1975! These rounds were loaded in a Lee Loader because I didn't have a press until I bought my first house in 1976. They were loaded with 220 grain Hornady round nose soft points that, if I remember correctly, I loaded up in anticipation of an upcoming bear hunt that never materialized. So the rounds just continued to gather dust until I found them yesterday.

After all of the serious shooting and grouping went well I decided to get rid of this old ammo. My club range has steel plates set out at 200 yards. I loaded up the Savage with the old handloads and went to work. Every single one went bang, and accurately too I might add. These rounds were stored in a 20 MM G.I. issue ammo can for literally decades, (34 years to be exact). They got no special treatment such as sealer on the primers or case mouths. I loaded the powder, then tapped in the bullet with a plastic mallet, per Lee's instructions.

This should lay to rest any worry about handloads "going bad" with age. At least from my perspective it does. If stored in a dry environment the shelf life of most any kind of modern ammo is all but indefinite.  Bill T.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: How Old Is Too Old Regarding Handloads??
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 06:33:56 AM »
You got me beat Bill.  The oldest handloads I had were 25 years old, and those performed well for me, too.

Making them with clean components helps, I'm sure.   One reason why I prime separately from the press is to insure I don't get the primers contaminated with grease.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 07:32:43 AM »
I learned reloading while in Pensacola in 96 but didn't have my own equipment after I left, until last Christmas.  Just before I left I had a bunch of brass that had been cleaned and primed plus all the extra primers I had in an old first aid kit (that luckily had a good seal and fasteners).  When I finally got my own press I opened it and took a couple out to load.  They shot fine so I loaded some more and they did just as good.  Mind you, that brass is shot and not recovered, but they have all gone bang.

Now the reloads my wife's uncle gave me a few years ago on the other hand...
Is a 38 SWC supposed to be green? What about nickel and black cases? :o
Needless to say those were quickly disposed of.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 10:32:16 AM »
 If properly stored there is no reason for reloads to be any more effected by age than any other ammo.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 04:37:04 PM »
The green color that "grows" on brass is verdigris. That's what copper does instead of rusting. A little bit won't hurt anything IMO but maybe a lot of it could cause a thin spot in the brass. I don't know for sure.

The main reason they started making nickel plated cases was so cops could carry ammo in their leather belt loops without it turning green. I think black cases are the same except they're more tactical.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:33:00 AM »

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 04:45:21 PM »
I've never been able to store my handloads for more than about 6 months. I get to trigger happy and go shoot it all! ;D
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 04:52:30 PM »
Weather or not you crimp the bullets, what type of crimp you use, and how much you crimp all play a factor as well.  Some bench rest shooters use no crimp.  Most use a very light one.  And hunters, action shooters, or those just handling the gun much should really be using something very close to a "factory crimp".

Type of powder has a lot to do with it as well.  Larger grain powders are more resistant, and the shape of the grain comes into play as well.  I can't remember which is more moisture resistant off the top of my head.  But this is all moot if your keeping the stuff stored properly.  ;D  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk