Poll

How do you grip your handgun when firing?

2.)  Tighter grip on supporting hand and looser on the shooting hand for better trigger control?
10 (24.4%)
3.)  Push with your right hand and pull back with your left hand (for right handed shooters) to stabilize?
17 (41.5%)
4.)  Squeeze fingers around the bottom of the shooting hand with equal pressure with no pulling or pushing?
11 (26.8%)
1.)  Squeeze shooting hand as tightly as possible to tremble point and use other hand for some support?
0 (0%)
5.)  Shoot one-handed with a very tight grip?..................like Don.
3 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Shooting Grip Technique Poll  (Read 17631 times)

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shooting Grip Technique Poll
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »
I'm more of a #4 kind of guy. That's how I voted.

Me too.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 03:49:02 AM »
The push pull system seams to work best for me.
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

ponyexpress

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 11:08:44 AM »
For two handed shooting I've always been taught to use a 60/40 split on your grip, with 60% of the grip being with your support hand.

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 11:14:58 AM »
For two handed shooting I've always been taught to use a 60/40 split on your grip, with 60% of the grip being with your support hand.

I think this makes a lot of sense.  I heard someone say 70/30 once, I guess as long as the thought is there, the realization that you need to lighten up the grip pressure on the shooting hand is all that matters.  It certainly does help relax the trigger finger for a straight back and gentler press of the trigger.  That's why I never understood those who preach squeezing the gun as hard as you can until you reach a tremble point and then let off just a bit on the grip.  I think this has the opposite and negative effect on proper trigger pull.

I'm wondering if the 60/40 or 70/30 concept coupled with a push/pull would be the most effective grip technique?  It seems possible to be able to pull back with your left hand (for right handed shooters) while relaxing your trigger finger on the pushing hand since the majority of the pushing force can be provided by your arm.  The left hand stabilizes the hand lock while requiring less grip pressure with your shooting hand.  This could be the best of both worlds.  Does anyone use this method or have any thoughts?
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 05:51:10 PM »
When on the square range, trying different techniques is recommended. But when facing the elephant, I want what works, I can't imagine presenting my pistol, and gripping to the point of trembling and relaxing a bit while the 400 lb. gorilla has other ideas. I've been shooting competition for 20 years, and have found that there is no one great technique for all situations. Shooting silhouette out to 200 meters and using the creedmore ( lying on your back with the pistol supported on your strong hand leg ) position is proper and gives you good support and sight radius. I don't think that is good on the street, but if presented with a long range shot, and enough time it might be proper. Hand gun shooting is a lot like golf, every pistol or techniqe is proper for a particular shot, just like golf clubs. You could shoot a complete round of golf with a putter, or a baseball bat, why would we do that, just like on the street, because thats what we have. Street skills means, efficiency, including running away.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:29:33 PM »

D.R. Middlebrooks

• Active Forum Member
    • Tactical Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 08:09:56 AM »
I teach #2 and we've have had great results in competition with it...

Here's a photo of me coaching an 8 yr. old. Notice how his left arm is higher than the right:

That's a .40 caliber SVI he's shooting, notice the recoil control:

Cheers,  :)

D.R.

www.TacticalShooting.com

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 09:02:40 AM »

Here's a photo of me coaching an 8 yr. old. Notice how his left arm is higher than the right:

D.R.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Thanks D.R. 

Question.....do you think the method you teach (number 2 in the poll) can be combined with a push/pull technique (number 3 in the poll) to take advantage of the best of both worlds?  Seems that it would work as you can push with your shooting arm and relax the grip on your shooting hand somewhat as you are simultaneously pulling with your support hand to create the lockup.  As the shooting hand is more relaxed, and therefore the trigger finger as well, this would allow for a gentle press of the trigger while taking advantage of the push/pull method of stability.

Thanks

Shawn Knight

• Forum Member
    • Eastern Nebraska Practical Shooters
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 11:02:43 AM »

D.R.

www.TacticalShooting.com

I have been noticing that when I draw for dry fire for USPSA and IDPA practice i am moving my left arm higher than my right. I just noticed this recently. Could this be a natural progression to the Fist Fire technique? It feels more comfortable and I notice a higher hit factor with it.
No Matter Where You Go,
There You Are!

D.R. Middlebrooks

• Active Forum Member
    • Tactical Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »
We're seeing more and more Top Shooters using the "Reverse Weaver" as shown below...

Notice that the left arm/elbow/shoulder is higher than the right in this photo:

Fist-Fire Instructor & Grand Master Shooter
Rick Simes in "Reverse Weaver" Shooting Position

It's not REALLY a "Push-Pull" isometric like the Weaver, but there is a little bit of tension on the of left arm bicep as we push the strong hand into the "Roll Over" wrist lock. This allows the strong hand grip to be more relaxed and thus capable of operating the trigger finger much faster and with much more dexterity.  8)

Looks like we need a "Technique" forum, eh?

DR
www.TacticalShooting.com

Snake45

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 02:12:46 PM »
I asked Mas Ayoob in '88 or '89 if you were supposed to get a push-pull tension going in isocoles, because I was very used to Weaver and the push-pull felt natural.

"Yeah, you can do that," he said, and that was the ONLY time I've ever heard or read of that dynamic being mentioned until this thread.

As for why shoot one-handed? It's fun, mainly, and good to know, for another thing. Two years ago I came down with a very mysterious case of tennis elbow. It didn't hurt all the time, but certain positions I'd put my arm in hurt like a bee-yotch. Shaking hands with anyone was excrutiating, and there was one particular doorknob at work that could almost make me cry (but only that one doorknob, for some odd reason). I had no problem shooting rifles from any position, or handguns from a bench, but shooting a pistol either right-handed or two-handed strong hand was impossible. Any pistol I wanted to shoot that year had to be left-hand only. It was a blast! I was soon keeping all shots on a sheet of typing paper at 50 feet, with a good 80% or more of them in a 4" square on the paper. I canted the gun over to use my master (right) eye and this put the shots a little high and right, which I learned to hold off for. Being able to run the gun left-handed is a good skill to have in my hip pocket just in case I ever really NEED it.  ;)
And he's dreaming about an intruder or two
And the promise of burglar blood,
And he's yearning to chew on a gangster tattoo
And to hear the proverbial sickening thud...

--Warren Zevon, "Rottweiler Blues," Mutineer c1995

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk