Author Topic: Remington 7400?  (Read 5873 times)

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Remington 7400?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 04:02:43 PM »
make sure the chamber is where 90% of your cleaning is spent and you should be good to go
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 04:28:17 AM »
I bought one brand new back in 1985. I mounted a nice 3.5-10X Leupold Vari-X III on it and headed for the range. After one box of Winchester Silver Tip ammo the bolt became increasingly difficult to lock up. After about 23 rounds, (all single loaded), I noticed the rim of the cases were being deformed. I had the head space checked, and it was fine. I took it home, cleaned and oiled the hell out of it, and it's been in the back of the safe ever since. I came very close to buying a Browning BAR instead that day. Now I wish I had.  Bill T.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 09:29:09 AM »
I was with one of my buddies over the summer when he was shooting his. Reliability didn't seem to be an issue. Wasn't really thrilled with the pie plate sized groups at 100yds, though.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 09:39:42 AM »
These type of problems are probably why people flock to military style actions, (AR's, AK's, etc. ) "Civilian" style "hunting" actions tend to be made up of lots of little parts, held together with JC clips, and be somewhat finicky, needing specialized tools and knowledge. Where as Military style actions are held together with relatively large push pins, are intended to be easily learned and maintained and are designed with an expectation of abuse.

r_boyette

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 01:01:01 AM »
I bought one brand new back in 1985. I mounted a nice 3.5-10X Leupold Vari-X III on it and headed for the range. After one box of Winchester Silver Tip ammo the bolt became increasingly difficult to lock up. After about 23 rounds, (all single loaded), I noticed the rim of the cases were being deformed. I had the head space checked, and it was fine. I took it home, cleaned and oiled the hell out of it, and it's been in the back of the safe ever since. I came very close to buying a Browning BAR instead that day. Now I wish I had.  Bill T.
The Md 740,742,7400 and all its incarnations were probably the most popular deer rifle in this part of the country for years, especially among doghunters. 9 out of 10 owners of these rifles in these parts will attest to the fact that it is probably the least reliable rifle they ever owned. It was junk when Remmy called it the 742, was still junk when it evolved into the 7400, and is most likely still junk now that the Mdl # has been changed again. Most 'smiths around here will not even work on one. And being their current trade-in value is in the $150-200 range it would be best to just stick it back in the gun cabinet.  The only reliable solution to the problems of the Remington semi-auto is the purchase of a Browning BAR

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:29:45 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk