Author Topic: Interesting take on Sniping  (Read 18072 times)

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Interesting take on Sniping
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 12:12:29 PM »
Another point to understand is why is 300-460m considered the range for assualt riifle cartridges?  Because that is as far as most people can see and determine that a individual is armed and a threat with the unaided eye.  DMR guns with optics allow the marksman to engage key targets and particle targets with greater effect to longer ranges generally 600m.  The higher skilled sniper will engage out to 800m (7.62mm), 1200m (.300 WM) or greater.  These are generally limited to the quality of the ammo, weapon and shooter.

CD
Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
Re: Interesting take on Sniping
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »
10-4 on the 225 grain and M4ergry.  I saw a 50 million U.S. Gov't. award for the 300 Win Mag ammunition which tells me there is a shift for some large portion of forces to go that way.  I want this to punch paper, pop coyotes at long range and hopefully for really long range steel targets (if I can find some...400 yards is the longest steel range aournd me).  I live at the sourthern edge of the prarie here in Oklahoma....and there is a lot of wind and the need for heavy and fast to minimize wind drift. 

I've got the RRA LAR-8 in varmint 24" bbl on order for the above purposes.  I thought especially for the song dogs...hence I went with it over the 300 Win Mag Savage I had planned for.  I figured the next niche will be that 416 Barrett in single shot in an AR upper...Tactilite claims 0.5 MOA with the right ammo....that oughta' be real fun to scope out coyotes with live staked chickens as bait from long range....especially just before the calves start dropping.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk