Author Topic: Is there membership or a club affiliation required?  (Read 26135 times)

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Is there membership or a club affiliation required?
« on: November 24, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »
Hi all,

I was kinda pokin' around the Ruger website here:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/micros/rugerRimfire/contact.html

I did also kinda browse the rulebook.

Anywhooo... I am wondering does one have to be a member to shoot these matches, especially the bigger regional championships.

Does a club have to join or affiliate themselves with this Ruger Rimfire competition to be able to host matches?

Thanks!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Is there membership or a club affiliation required?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 08:57:16 PM »
Tyler, there are a couple of threads about Ruger Rimfire matches here on DRTV.   Michael Bane just did a promotional piece with Ruger, which you'll find on Ruger's web site.

There's no club or membership requirements.  Also, you can shoot any make of .22lr nor just Ruger firearms either, though most people do.  I would too out of respect to the sponsor.....also, if you ever hope for any "air time" with the shooting shows, I betcha they do too.

HERE'S the RUB.

There's not a published match schedule.   Ruger would like to have 9 regionals and the nationals, but so far their web site only list the 2009 matches.   They may not have all the sponsors/ranges lined up yet, but you think they'd at least take down the old schedule and post some match results.

If one is close by and it works out with my schedule, I'm going to try to make one.   Unfortunately, Ruger really seems to like the California range they used in 2009 for the nationals.  That will limit participation by east coast people.   I recommend they move it on a 3 or 4 year schedule.   East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, Texas.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 12:22:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

Depending on a prize table, yeah, it might be worthwhile for me to travel to a regional match.

I do NOT have a semi-auto .22LR rifle.  At least, not yet.

Here in the St. Louis area, I shoot a Steel Challenge type of match the first and third Saturday every month. 

Pardon my shameless, gratuitous plug, but my hat-cam footage can be found here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-870601232976768260&ei=o8wMS6P_FqGqqwLo4eirCA&q=posercam#

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Posercam

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 12:29:51 AM »
I am a member of a club/range where we are working towards putting on a steel challenge type of match.  The berms just have to be built up some more to make it safer.

The other club/range I am a member of, the one that puts on these outlaw speed plates/steel challenge-ish matches twice a month...well... I reckon they decided not to join steel challenge because...well... they didn't see a benefit in doing so.  They already had the steel targets all set up.  They already had the computer software/program figured out to do the scoring... long before USPSA bought the steel challenge.

To me, it would only be worthwhile for a club to join the Steel Challenge if they could get steel targets (AR500 ... armor plate steel) at a reduced cost.

The Ruger rimfire thing is more do-able because they are going to be shot at with .22's.  A club could get by with plain ol' scrap A36 steel.

lv2shoot101

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 09:38:09 PM »
I am in ohio and want.to.shoot a.rimfire match but cant find one.  Any suggestions

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:21:07 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »
lv2shoot101,

Contact Ruger and ask them for help in locating a match.  This is a company initiated and promoted shoot, and I feel it has taken a backseat in their marketing.  We need to push them to promote it more, and this is sad.  This is something that can take off in promoting shooting sports, but clubs need guidance.  USPSA, SASS, and all the rest did not just take off.  These all grew out of the leadership of the organizations.  If Ruger does not grow it, or arrange for someone to grow it it will never grow  :'(

Meanwhile, back at the ranch - Contact Ruger and ask them.  Do it often, and make sure they know we want it.  This goes for all of us that would like an inexpensive game to play - Call Ruger and tell them we want to play their game!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:35:18 AM »
I am in ohio and want.to.shoot a.rimfire match but cant find one.  Any suggestions

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rugerRimfire/learnMore.html

Get this to your local clubs.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 08:03:30 PM »
I am a member of a club/range where we are working towards putting on a steel challenge type of match.  The berms just have to be built up some more to make it safer.

The other club/range I am a member of, the one that puts on these outlaw speed plates/steel challenge-ish matches twice a month...well... I reckon they decided not to join steel challenge because...well... they didn't see a benefit in doing so.  They already had the steel targets all set up.  They already had the computer software/program figured out to do the scoring... long before USPSA bought the steel challenge.

To me, it would only be worthwhile for a club to join the Steel Challenge if they could get steel targets (AR500 ... armor plate steel) at a reduced cost.

The Ruger rimfire thing is more do-able because they are going to be shot at with .22's.  A club could get by with plain ol' scrap A36 steel.

So did you guys ever spin one up????
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk