Author Topic: UPS vs. USPS  (Read 33366 times)

Timothy

Re: UPS vs. USPS
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2018, 06:51:30 PM »
How much you think a USPS delivery schmuck is making on Sunday?

At least mine is stacked and quite fetching!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2018, 07:17:24 PM »
I hate UPS / USPS combined deliveries. You involve 2 outfits that doubles the chance something is going to get screwed up. It used to be called "UPS Basic". Now it's called something else. It's the slowest and the cheapest. I'm waiting on some O-Rings for mounting 1911 grips. They aren't in Phoenix yet, but the USPS Tracking Number say's they'll be here today. I'm not holding my breath.

In theory, it makes good business sense (make one local stop and get multiple packages into the hands of folks who are going door to door anyway) but in practical application it plainly sucks for the customer because of the weak link: aka the USPS.
What also sucks is more and more online retailers don't offer an option for delivery and we get stuck with UPS and FedEx playing middleman.

As much as I hate the USPS package delivery (especially since they closed the sorting hub in our region and everything goes through Tallahassee, FL) I hate FedEx in our region even more.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1110
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2018, 10:27:09 PM »
I'm not a FEDEX fan either. I guess it was a couple of years ago that I found out they have a shipping location near me. Google maps says it's a 9 minute drive, the same as the UPS distribution center. But when I bought my Mech-Tech CCU and wanted to get it before I left for a vacation, I had to drive 35 miles to another city to get it. It was over an hour round trip because I couldn't wait for it to go from city to city to city. UPS would have already delivered it before then. And some things I get now go from DHL to the post office to get here. I don't know why a German postal service is involved with it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2018, 11:02:06 PM »
From Wednesday, 10/31 to Saturday, 11/03 my pair of scope rings made it from Missouri to Ohio, almost an 8 hour drive. If it takes until Thursday, 11/08, the estimated delivery date, to get from Ohio to my house in Michigan, nearly a 4 hour drive away, something is seriously wrong. If it gets here Tuesday the postal service can claim they're so good they got it to me 2 days early. But 6 days instead of 8 to cover a distance I could drive in less than 12 hours is nothing to be proud of.

Another thing I don't like about the post office is what happens to my mail when I go on vacation. I put my mail on hold from the day I leave until the day I get back and they deliver it all at once. Or at least they deliver some of it. They must toss a lot of what they consider to be junk mail, because I get half as much mail as when I'm home the while time. And once this summer, when I got my mail it wasn't just wrapped with a big rubber band as usual. They folded my issue of American Rifleman in half and must have run their hand over it several times to get a crease that bad in it. I folded it back the other way and tried to de-crease it, I don't know how many times. I couldn't fold it exactly down the middle of the crease but kept trying. It's readable but has ripples like the surface of a pond running right down the middle of every page. Any other time I've gotten magazines and catalogs while I was gone they were curled into a "U" shape with the rest of the mail inside, all surrounded by a rubber band. Not folded completely flat and stacked up with the rest of the mail before they put a rubber band on. If I threw away my magazines right after I read them instead of keeping them for reference it wouldn't be so bad. I have 6 magazine cases on a shelf that each hold 2 years' issues. Every 2 years I throw away the oldest 24 issues and start filling that case with new issues, so I have 10-12 years' magazines at any given time.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2018, 11:35:46 PM »
My package was here early in the afternoon. Man they're good. They got it to me 2 days early. ::)

Sponsor

« Reply #95 on: Today at 01:21:34 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2018, 10:25:17 PM »
They sent me a confirmation email tonight saying my package has been delivered. Yeah, I know it was. It got here yesterday afternoon, not tonight. ::) Even their email is snail mail.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2019, 10:27:04 PM »
My opinion of FedEx hasn't changed, they still suck. My package was accepted at their L.A. facility last Friday and they just left it sitting there until Tuesday before finally shipping it. When they did, they said I would get it today. Then yesterday, when it was already within 72 miles of my house they said I wouldn't get it until tomorrow. 2 more days to go the last 1 hour, 5 minute drive. WHY??? But this morning the post office got it and they delivered it today. It took 7 days to get here when I know UPS would only take 3 or 4 days. If I wasn't sitting in silence within spitting distance of my front door I never would have heard the gentle tap tap tap on the wall next to the doorbell. Such a delicate touch.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2019, 05:13:19 PM »
I learned something a couple months ago:  Many FedEx trucks you see running around are private contractors.  The vehicles do not belong to FedEx, the drivers are not FedEx employees, and the managers are private businessmen that are not employees of FedEx.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2019, 12:44:22 PM »
I learned something a couple months ago:  Many FedEx trucks you see running around are private contractors.  The vehicles do not belong to FedEx, the drivers are not FedEx employees, and the managers are private businessmen that are not employees of FedEx.

Yep.

A guy I know lives a couple miles away and he contracts out to FedEx. He either bought or leases one of the smaller style box-trucks and put FedEx decals on the sides. He doesn't do door-to-door deliveries. If I remember correctly from the last time I talked to him he delivers from the area hub to area hub and sometimes picks up from drop-boxes that are scattered around the area.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2019, 10:25:53 PM »
No matter who owns the trucks or who drives the trucks, a package shouldn't just sit there from Friday until Tuesday before they put it on one. UPS has never done that to me. When they shipped packages to me from Washington, not far from Vancouver, they covered a greater distance faster. It was an extra 3 hours from here if you drove it, but it only took half a week instead of a whole week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk