Author Topic: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?  (Read 189410 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1119
Re: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?
« Reply #540 on: February 24, 2019, 02:18:25 PM »
I reached blindly into the freezer and pulled out a package of mashed potatoes. I put beef gravy from a jar on them. I need to actually cook something later.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #541 on: February 26, 2019, 12:31:51 AM »
PLANTERS Peanut Butter Chocolate Trail Mix.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1061
« Reply #542 on: February 26, 2019, 12:24:53 PM »
A pancake and buttercream frosting burrito.  ;D ;D ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #543 on: February 26, 2019, 01:07:22 PM »
last night I made a hug pot of caldo verde.

its a Portuguese keal and potato soup.   

https://youtu.be/MB5LAU5z9gk

its too die fore.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #544 on: February 26, 2019, 09:18:18 PM »
Herr's Jalapeno Poppers flavor Cheese Curls from TSC. These are a lot better than plain Cheetos. Herr's also makes Cheese Curls With Genuine Old Bay seasoning. That sounds good even to an old Midwestern landlubber like me. I may end up ordering a box full of snacks.

http://www.herrs.com/product.php?id=57

Sponsor

« Reply #545 on: Today at 09:19:27 AM »

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #545 on: February 27, 2019, 02:28:48 PM »
Salisbury steak, mashed taters, and green beans.
The Salisbury steak was store-bought (didn't have time to make from scratch) and as Rainman said about K-Mart, "It sucked."
It was a brand called On-Cor (not the usual brand we buy, when we buy it) and definitely had a soy-burgerish aftertaste.

ETA:

I went to their website and checked the nutrition info since the packaging we had was already in the trash.

Ingredients:
Gravy:
Water, food starch-modified, contains less than 2% of the following: bleached wheat flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour), toasted onion powder, salt, hydrolyzed soy protein, sugar, autolyzed yeast extract, garlic powder, spice, caramel color.

Salisbury Steaks:
Mechanically separated chicken, pork, water, beef, soy protein concentrate, wheat flour, dehydrated onion, contains less than 2% of the following: salt, sodium phosphate, lactose reduced whey, hydrolyzed soy and corn protein, caramel color, dextrose, sugar, dehydrated peppers, pepper, flavoring.

Contains:
SOY, WHEAT, MILK

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 patty with 1/3 cup gravy (about 132g)

Servings Per Container 6

Amount Per Serving
Calories 190   
Calories from Fat 120
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14g  22%
Saturated Fat 5g  25%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 55mg  18%
Sodium 720mg  30%
Total Carbohydrate 8g  3%
Dietary Fiber 2g  8%
Sugars 1g
Protein 10g
Iron 1mg  8%
Vitamin A 0%   
Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 8%

[img]http://Ingredients:
Gravy: Water, food starch-modified, contains less than 2% of the following: bleached wheat flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour), toasted onion powder, salt, hydrolyzed soy protein, sugar, autolyzed yeast extract, garlic powder, spice, caramel color.

Salisbury Steaks: Mechanically separated chicken, pork, water, beef, soy protein concentrate, wheat flour, dehydrated onion, contains less than 2% of the following: salt, sodium phosphate, lactose reduced whey, hydrolyzed soy and corn protein, caramel color, dextrose, sugar, dehydrated peppers, pepper, flavoring.

Contains:
SOY, WHEAT, MILK

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #546 on: February 27, 2019, 07:33:52 PM »
Notice how it says Gravy & 6 Salisbury Steaks on the box, with gravy being the main component. I had some of those On-Cor brand entrees before and they all suck, some worse than others. The Gravy & Sliced White Meat Turkey was less objectionable, but still mostly gravy, with turkey roll instead of natural slices of turkey.

I had the On-Cor Breaded Chicken Parmagiana Patties with Tomato Sauce before. The tomato sauce has tomato puree as the main ingredient and the chicken has white chicken meat as the main ingredient. It even has mozzarella cheese in it, but still isn't very good. I saw them on sale again a few weeks ago and hesitated a moment before moving down the aisle.

Timothy

« Reply #547 on: February 27, 2019, 07:55:13 PM »
Man, you guys eat some real crapola!

I know it’s circumstances but try and avoid TV dinners!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #548 on: February 27, 2019, 11:32:10 PM »
A lot of frozen meals actually taste good. Or good enough. When I see certain brands I like on sale, I get one of each and don't have to eat the same thing twice. I may eat it again next month, but I won't have any leftovers I have to eat tomorrow or the next day. Cooking for one person sucks anyway.

I've had several of The 25 Most Delish Frozen Dinners and 46 Best Frozen Foods in America in these links, or other foods of the same brands. They aren't like the TV dinners they made when I was a kid. Those were bad even to a kid's unsophisticated palate. And I don't know why Banquet is on one of the lists. I don't care if you can buy them for 88 cents, I have to draw the line somewhere and won't buy those.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/g3648/best-frozen-dinners/

https://www.eatthis.com/best-frozen-foods/

Here's a place that makes alternatives to textured soy protein that are in some of the less palatable dinners, like On-Cor.

http://rachelaaron.net/soylent/

ETA: I'm eating old Nuremberger Lebkuchen and it's still delicious.

https://www.lebkuchen-schmidt.com/en/

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #549 on: February 28, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »
I generally use ground venison with 10% beef fat (added when we grind) or lean beef and make from scratch. But with all we have going on with my sis-in-law and my mother-in-law (having open heart surgery) and two 3 yr olds in the house, the store crap was quicker....but we ended up throwing the bulk of it to the dog.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk