Author Topic: competition value in regard to training (Split from other thread)  (Read 13578 times)

fullautovalmet76

Re: competition value in regard to training (Split from other thread)
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2010, 02:19:54 PM »

......Not that Rob and I agree on every point of training...no 2 trainers will ever agree on all points.......

And Rob's a tactical snob anyway....  ;) Michael after reading your stories about cave diving in Trail Safe, I did some research on it and what I learned convinced me that I did not want to try it. The idea of suffocating in a dark, cramped hole somewhere underwater scared the crap out of me. I particularly remember reading a story about the diver who died in the deepest cave in the world (in South Africa IIRC) trying to recover the remains of another diver who perished there several years before. Moral of that story to me was even the best can have a bad day- in cave diving it can be fatal.I would rather take my chances jumping out of a plane several thousand feet up and trying to land on a DZ without breaking my legs or getting hit by a plane (that almost happen to me....)

I know you have covered it before on the podcasts, but maybe you should do some review and talk about this topic again; maybe like a topic you cover annually or something....

Many thanks!
-FullAuto

scott.ballard

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Think+Plan+Train = Survive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »
More???

Best Defense aired on 2010 MAR 17

Presenter:  Michael Janich ( an industry professional)

Segment: Empty Hand Techniques

When discussing the differences between MMA and Self Defense, he said, "One of the things you need to keep in mind is that sport is not self defense."

During his closing statement after the demonstration he was discussing proper mindset and said, "you're gonna fight the way you train, so train appropriately."

Since this came directly from the mouth of one of DRTV's 3 wise men of self defense, I am fairly certain that he meant it as he said it.  Since he had time to plan the segment and seemed very comfortable and knowledgeable I would submit that he most likely had plenty of time to prepare the wording of his statement.  Since he is a well known and highly skilled self defense instructor, I am going to refer to him as an industry professional without caveat.

SO...did he not really mean it?  No wait, out of context?  Was Mr. Janich, "over-generalizing?"  No.  I got it!  Because he was discussing H2H techniques, it doesn't really apply to the use of a firearm.  Yeah...that's it!  That's the ticket!!!  (sic)

Yes I am being sarcastic.  I'll own that.  Primarily because I took a lot of flack over statements that I made about these points regarding training. Both in the forum and through PM.  It just isn't in me to let something drop when someone comes after me personally.

Stay Safe,
Scott

There exists a law, not written down anywhere but inborn in our hearts; a law which comes to us not by training or custom or reading but by derivation and absorption and adoption from nature itself; a law which has come to us not from theory but from practice, not by instruction but by natural intuition. I refer to the law which lays it down that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.

Timothy

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010, 11:10:26 AM »
Well done Scott!

I figured you were gonna pick up on that one.

;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk