Author Topic: Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????  (Read 32990 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2017, 05:23:49 PM »
If you wait until around Thanksgiving, you can get some incredible deals. I priced out the package we bought as individual items and the total fell in the area of $1400 or so depending on where you bought from. We paid $550 via Amazon.

That's most likely what I'll end up doing. Or else wait until after Christmas, when all of the after holiday sales are everywhere. Black Friday is a good time.... I just can't take the insane crowds.

Timothy

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2017, 05:54:59 PM »
We shop one or two weeks into the next year for anything we're planning for December.  Saved thousands over the years!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2017, 07:44:08 PM »
That's most likely what I'll end up doing. Or else wait until after Christmas, when all of the after holiday sales are everywhere. Black Friday is a good time.... I just can't take the insane crowds.

2 words of advice: Cyber Monday. Relax and take your time. There aren't any crowds to deal with.

There's a big shopping mall a few miles outside of the city limits here that I haven't been to in a couple of years. The main road to the mall has traffic backed up about 3 miles most days from Thanksgiving to New Year's. I avoid that road as much as possible during that time. I can find most of the things I want at amazon.com anyway. And it pays to compare other sites too. I bought a super heavy duty padlock to replace the one I broke a key off in. I found it at amazon.com for around $35 and at the place I bought the original lock from it was about $130. I got shafted big time on the first one.

Anything you want from amazon.com you can get at https://smile.amazon.com/ and support your favorite from among nearly a million charities. I'm currently supporting The NRA Foundation, Inc.. They get 0.5% of the purchase price on everything I buy. It doesn't sound like much but as of May the total given to all charities is over $54.5 million and over $62,500 went to The NRA Foundation,Inc..

""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2017, 11:18:20 AM »
2 words of advice: Cyber Monday. Relax and take your time. There aren't any crowds to deal with.

Anything you want from amazon.com you can get at https://smile.amazon.com/ and support your favorite from among nearly a million charities. I'm currently supporting The NRA Foundation, Inc.. They get 0.5% of the purchase price on everything I buy. It doesn't sound like much but as of May the total given to all charities is over $54.5 million and over $62,500 went to The NRA Foundation,Inc..

+1
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2017, 12:54:10 PM »
I can't always remember the exact address for the smile.amazon website but if you search for amazon smile it comes up right at the top of the search. I don't always remember to go there but I'm getting better. I've gone there for 4 orders. Everything is exactly the same as amazon.com except you get to support a charity at no additional cost.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #65 on: Today at 03:31:33 AM »

BAC

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2017, 06:00:13 PM »
No love for local camera stores?  They are disappearing faster than local gun shops, and for mostly the same reasons.  They are a valuable source of information and training, just like the local gun shop.

Also, keep in mind that most, if not all, the camera companies have strict Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) policies.  If you see an online price significantly below MAP, you're probably looking at grey market goods (not meant for sale in the US and not imported by their US subsidiary).  If you have a problem and send your grey market camera back to the manufacturer for warranty repair, they're going to laugh at you, and then charge you a lot of money.

Just a couple things to keep in mind.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2017, 09:36:27 PM »
Nice pictures Brian, Peg, and BillT.  I especially like the Colt.

No camera stores locally or nearby anymore.  Had one here for decades, but it closed before the net took off.

I would suggest getting a couple of smaller memory cards rather than one large 128GB.  All the eggs in the same basket thing. 

I just bought a Pentax DSLR with crop sized sensor and haven't even used it yet or finished reading the owners manual.  I was torn between that and an Olympus micro 4/3 camera.  In the early 80's I bought an Olympus OM-1 SLR and three prime Zuiko lenses, and later a Zuiko telephoto zoom lens, used.

Had to do a lot of brushing up on the digital stuff, and have lots more to go.  What I liked about both the Pentax and Olympus cameras I was looking at was that both had Image Stabilization (IS) built into the camera body instead of the lenses.  Additionally both had some weather resistance built in and weather resistant lenses are available.  Both had an operating range down to 14° F whereas many digital cameras are only rated down to 32° F.  Weather resistance (WR) and colder operating temperatures may not be a factor for you in AZ, but dust might be. In Michigan the WR and lower operating temperature makes sense to me.

On of the reasons I wet with the Pentax over Olympus is that the Pentax is a SLR with an optical throug the lens viewfinder as well as a screen.  Some cameras do not.   

Additionally virtually all older Pentax K-mount legacy lenses will work on the DSLR Pentax cameras.  They won't work in a fully automatic mode, but will work in manual mode.  I think the only way the legacy OM Zuiko lenses will work on the current Oly camera are in manual mode with an adapter that Olympus no longer makes, but third party and aftermarket adapters are available for OM series Zuiko lenses to Micro 4/3 and OM to Pentax K-mount.

I may still get an Olympus micro 4/3 camera also.

Brian, what are your thoughts on the different sensor sizes, FF, crop, 4/3, etc. and using legacy lenses with adapters?

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2017, 10:18:59 PM »
No love for local camera stores?  They are disappearing faster than local gun shops, and for mostly the same reasons.  They are a valuable source of information and training, just like the local gun shop.

Also, keep in mind that most, if not all, the camera companies have strict Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) policies.  If you see an online price significantly below MAP, you're probably looking at grey market goods (not meant for sale in the US and not imported by their US subsidiary).  If you have a problem and send your grey market camera back to the manufacturer for warranty repair, they're going to laugh at you, and then charge you a lot of money.

Just a couple things to keep in mind.

I live in a decent size city of 100,000 people and I haven't been able to find a single camera shop anywhere in the city. The Dive Shop which is very close by has pictures of 2 underwater cameras on their website but they aren't among the 6 things they sell there.

I found one camera store in the county online. It's almost all freeway driving to get there so it's only 20 minutes away according to Google maps and it's only 1.3 miles past a gun store I'm familiar with. Among other things they do repairs, have a photo lab, and can transfer just about anything audio or video to CD or DVD. I might visit sometime just to look around.

BAC

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2017, 11:17:19 PM »
I live in a decent size city of 100,000 people and I haven't been able to find a single camera shop anywhere in the city. The Dive Shop which is very close by has pictures of 2 underwater cameras on their website but they aren't among the 6 things they sell there.

I found one camera store in the county online. It's almost all freeway driving to get there so it's only 20 minutes away according to Google maps and it's only 1.3 miles past a gun store I'm familiar with. Among other things they do repairs, have a photo lab, and can transfer just about anything audio or video to CD or DVD. I might visit sometime just to look around.

What store?

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2017, 12:30:10 AM »
What store?

Billmeier Camera shop in Fenton, MI. I never heard of it before but it's so close to Guns Galore that I should visit both of them one of these days.
https://fentoncamera.com/
http://gunsgalore.net/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk