Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Upcoming Events / Re: Competition 2024
« Last post by alfsauve on Today at 04:46:30 PM »
Upcoming Events / Re: Competition 2024
« Last post by alfsauve on Today at 04:41:04 PM »
Valdosta's Rolling on the River IDPA match in April was moved to May because of the torrential flooding in south GA.  On Wednesday the MD posted a picture of himself wading in one of the bays with about 18" of water.  The river hadn't even begun to crest at that point at that point and by Saturday the were 3' under water.   I withdrew from the rescheduled May match because that was Mothers Day.  (Happy spouse, happy house.)

Instead in April I did ICORE, IDPA and Steel.  Then in May we had a morning of Steel Challenge practice.  MD set up two stages and everyone just took turns shooting until they ran out of ammo.  No scores were kept.   I got invited for a private practice session by my friend Mark who has purchased a "Practice Set" of steel plates.  He can set up any one of the Steel Challenge stages.  We've been up to River Bend 3 times so far.  Practice only one stage a day.  I've been putting 250 rounds down range which is the equivalent of shooting the stage 50 times.  I bought myself a 10" and 12" plate and hanger and before Mark got to the range I did 100 draw-and-shoot-first-target drills at varying distances.  I ended last Thursday's practice (Showdown stage) with a 4second run.  Not Master level but right at "A" class shooter.  Best I've ever done.  Two more practice sessions next week maybe one just before I leave for World Speed Shoot.

A small handful of "crisps"or tater chips us as normal folks call them. ;)  And 4 White Russians. I should sleep good after those. ;D Until I wake up hungry. :-[

While enjoying, truly enjoying, my adult beverages, I thought about going into a bar and ordering a White Ukrainian. When the confused bartender asks WTF is a White Ukrainian? I would tell them it's a White Russian with anything but Russian vodka. ;D  Think of of all the countries whose governments, or citizens, have been supporting Ukraine against the invasion by Russian forces, pick a country, and pick a vodka. I hear they have a lovely vodka made from potatoes in Idaho. Idaho. Potatoes. Vodka. Could it make any more perfect sense, in this universe or any other? I think not. My White Russians were Cutwater canned cocktails made with Cutwater American--made Vodka.

https://www.cutwaterspirits.com/canned-cocktails
Down Range Cafe / Tactical pens, non-tactical pens, etc.
« Last post by Big Frank on Today at 02:53:29 AM »
I recently bought my 3rd (or 4th) tactical pen, and one self-defense tool that looks like a pen but isn't a writing implement at all. It's the Amend2 Magazines Self-Defense Pen. The Amend2 Self-Defense Pen is a powerful tool for personal safety in a sleek and discreet package. Crafted from the incredibly durable G10 material, this pen is built to withstand the toughest conditions while offering a reliable means of self-defense. With its ergonomic design and comfortable grip, it feels natural in your hand, allowing you to confidently protect yourself when needed. This self-defense pen seamlessly combines functionality and style. Stay prepared and empowered with the Amend2 Self-Defense Pen by your side. Amend2 Self Defense Pen is designed to blend in like a typical marker. Full-length G10 core provides impact resistance and durability. Minimalist design with no metal components.

When you tap your fingertip on it, it's not quite a pin-point, but it's very close in sharpness. And G-10 is tough stuff as most of us already know. It's better than Micarta for pistol grips, and it's legendary toughness is why it's so popular as a material for knife handles. It's strong enough to replace metal in many applications, but the entire pen is non-metallic and won't trigger any alarms. I used a paper towel generously soaked with Goo Gone to rub the logo off mine. Followed by Windex to get the Goo Gone off, and soapy water when I washed the Goo Gone and Windex off my hands. That's my regular routine whenever I use Goo Gone (or Goof Off, which I haven't used in several years). Now it looks exactly like an ordinary, harmless, generic Sharpie, and won't set off any visual alarms either. It's only $10.99 directly from Amend2. but I got mine from Detroit Ammo Co. for just $8.99 in my last haul of goodies.

https://amend2mags.com/self-defense-pen/

https://detroitammoco.com/product/amend2-g10-self-defense-pen

For a non-tactical pen you can actually write with, I bought an Olight O'Pen Mini Portable Ballpoint Pen. This is small enough to easily fit in the pocket of a dress shirt without sticking out well above the top of the pocket, with the clip barely hanging on. They're a TINY little 3.66 inches in length and only weigh 0.42 ounce. Talk about a featherweight! They're available in Red and O.D. Green, and sell for $12.99 when they aren't on sale. I only bought mine because I had a $5 off coupon, which was equal to the $5 shipping fee. But it's small enough to stick in a pants pocket and forget it's there. I can't say that about any other ink pen I own. As if being made of Aluminum Alloy wasn't good enough, the spiral grooves cut away bring the weight down to a measly 12 grams. It's 0.39 inch (9.8 mm) in diameter, has black ink, and uses OLIGHT O-Refills, in Blue or Black, 3 for $9.99. It must be a gel ink, because if you don't use it for awhile (weeks), it forms a booger on the tip you need to pull off, then it has fresh ink and works great. 

https://www.olightstore.com/open-mini-ballpoint-pen

https://www.olightstore.com/new-o-refill

Happy Birthday's & Celebrations / Ranger Dave
« Last post by MikeBjerum on Yesterday at 07:18:47 PM »
A silent lurker ...

Dave, I see you still pop in to check, but you don't talk to us ... SPEAK UP from time to time.

Happy Birthday Ranger Dave!  Hope you have a great one young man.
Down Range Cafe / Re: Stuff I worked on in the army.
« Last post by Big Frank on Yesterday at 06:51:07 PM »
When I was outside working on my ATV I heard someone's mower suddenly stop like it hit an immovable object. I thought to myself, I recognize that sound. I'm familiar with stoppages. As as soon stoppages entered my mind, I thought about the M73/M219 machine guns and realized I never did finish this thread. It's weird how my mind works sometimes, but at least I finally remembered and will try to get around to posting more this weekend.
Reloading / Re: Latest 3D printer SIEVE project
« Last post by Big Frank on Yesterday at 06:44:24 PM »
First I was tired. Then I was re-tired. And I'll be tired again later. And WORK is a 4-letter word.
Reloading / Re: Latest 3D printer SIEVE project
« Last post by alfsauve on Yesterday at 03:26:48 PM »
Oh Great Retired one, when are you going to start marketing your products for us who aren't into manufacturing?

Every now an then I get the urge to either sell products or produce a show, then I slap myself in the face and recover from the evil thought.  I always wonder why they call it RE-TIRED?  I'm guessing so many people forgot they were tired and tried to "do it one more time".

Down Range Cafe / Re: Biggest Sale of the Year at Milspin - Today Only!
« Last post by Big Frank on Yesterday at 12:45:05 PM »
45% off sale. Offer ends tonight at 12PM EST. Offer not valid on custom orders. Only valid on Milspin.com. Not valid on our Amazon store.

https://milspin.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk