AK
13 (50%)
AR
8 (30.8%)
other
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: September 23, 2008, 04:54:40 PM

Author Topic: AK vs. AR  (Read 7649 times)

RK0281

• Forum Member
    • My Web page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AK vs. AR
« on: September 13, 2008, 04:54:40 PM »
End of the world which one do you want?

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: AK vs. AR
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 05:07:29 PM »
AK is excellent for Russian peasants who don't know much more than working swine

Need something with more kick, not a 5.56, more like a 7.62, but with more oomph than the AK round. I would go with an M-14 SOCOM II - full-grown, grown up cartridge, short and light(er) weapon, capable for short range massive firepower as well as reaching out and touching someone at long distances.

my 100,000,000 Icelandic kroner.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 06:12:28 PM »
End of the world?  AR fo rthe wife,  SOCOM for me.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »
Gotta be 308 or 30-06
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 06:42:22 PM »
End of the world? Then would it really matter? ... I like them both. Both are good choices. But, I guess if it was at the end of the world times.. probably the AK. Why? Because if the price of ammo does continue to increase like the last few years.. by the time the end of the world comes... there would be no way I could have affored any 5.56.. so I guess since I could find some 7.62x39mm far cheaper.. I guess it would come in handy to actual be able to use the AK...    unless..  unless...  lol one had a 7.62x39mm AR....    ;)   Well, so there you have it..  get both in one lol.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:15:25 AM »

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 07:23:36 PM »
If you are shooting at distance you want a .308 or similar , 200 yds or under a AK  is my choice.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 07:41:03 PM »
As far as a end of the world scenario? Hell, a 50 BMG would be fine. ;D

AK or AR, kinda tough,... Would there be a group of "Red Dawn" rebels to carry on? I would settle for a AR-10 in .308.

BUT, I would have to give kudos to an AK for durability, and ammo. Saiga makes a nice AK in .308 as well, and probably have one of each.

End of the world? My truck is getting filled with them all....Including a "Tommy Gun" ::)

Anyone know a deal on a BAR?
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 09:17:43 PM »
Simple: AK.  More of them out there than anything else, and ammo is available just about as easiily.  Yes given the choice an M14 is more versitile (larger game hunting and defense) but availability is key.  I can go ANYWHERE in the world and find an AK and ammo.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 02:14:44 AM »
Either one as long as it's a 12 gauge.  ;D
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 12:58:44 PM »
If you are in a situation where you are hunting deer one day and fighting attackers the next, or constantly moving so you may not have the chance or equipment to keep your rifle as clean as at the range, or in an area where shots are less than 200 yards, AK or SKS is the only way to go. In an EOW survival situation .223 does not have the versatility to be an only rifle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk