AK
13 (50%)
AR
8 (30.8%)
other
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: September 23, 2008, 04:54:40 PM

Author Topic: AK vs. AR  (Read 7625 times)

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AK vs. AR
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
Now that I voted AK, for all the previously stated sound reasons, I need to go get one.

RK0281, how much time do we have??? Six months same as cash a good idea?

Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 05:18:20 PM »
I'll take the AR or SOCOM for end of the world.  While AK ammo is/might be cheaper at that time, .223 or .308 will probably be more readlily available.  Between the AR and SOCOM probably the SOCOM for power.
DesertMarine

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 07:09:32 PM »
I'll take the AR or SOCOM for end of the world.  While AK ammo is/might be cheaper at that time, .223 or .308 will probably be more readlily available.  Between the AR and SOCOM probably the SOCOM for power.

You may have a good point there  Desert Marine, .308 would also be better for larger game but for what you would pay for a SOCOM you could buy 2 AK's or 4 SKS's, Or one of either and more ammo  ;D

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 08:48:34 PM »
In terms of the mission requirement, I have to go with an AK. I have both in semi-auto and one AK-variant as a full auto. The Valmet will flat out rock when called upon! Someone brought up the M-14, which is a great second choice.

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 09:16:53 PM »
You may have a good point there  Desert Marine, .308 would also be better for larger game but for what you would pay for a SOCOM you could buy 2 AK's or 4 SKS's, Or one of either and more ammo  ;D

Ok, but for your reasons then I would go with the AR.  I see more ARs available and at that time, might even be at discount.  For ammo availablity a 30-06 would be a better choice except for no military type weapons readily available for it.  Every little store throughout the country has 30-06.  Marines of the 5th & 6th Marine Regiments were making up to 800 yd shots during WWI with Springfield 03A3s with iron sights.
DesertMarine

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 09:34:11 PM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 08:44:14 PM »
Torture tests don't rule out either one as a good choice.

Rinsing it off in the pond,.... than 1100 rds. for the AR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5CQOvdYW6c&NR=1

and for the AK,....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn9WcjsSr_I&feature=related

Well, How bout that?
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk