Author Topic: Ruger .308 Scout Rifle Released!  (Read 58910 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: Ruger .308 Scout Rifle Released!
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2011, 04:37:52 AM »
This is the main reason Melanie accompanies me to the gun shop when I go on my "excursions". It always winds up being more expensive, but we come home with something each of us can pet besides one another. She is one of the few women I've ever known that gets more excited walking into a gun shop than a clothing store. That I cannot bitch about! We watched that silly movie, "Tremors" last night. She reminds me of the character Reba McEntire played.   Bill T.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2011, 04:43:09 AM »
M'ette,

Are you going to put glass on it, or just shoot it with the irons?   Bill T.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2011, 05:06:22 AM »
If it were mine, I'd go for an eotech. It was made for it. Fast target aquisition, and more than good enough at two hundred yards, plus long eye relief. I really love that sight. Its not the best for long range accuracy, but on a scout rifle? Its hard to beat, and its easy to carry a spare set of AAs.
FQ13

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2011, 05:18:30 AM »

.......... blow the wind up your shorts, ...................

This would be the opposite of shooting sunshine up my kilt, I think.

The new Ruger has two things over existing rifles, such as the Tikka T3 Lite.  The detachable magazine and the forward mounted optics.    It will take off because, I think, the magazine.  There will be less expensive after market magazines available soon, I'd guess.   What I really hope is it encourages other rifle makers to incorporate larger capacity mags.  The last I checked a 3 round Tikka mag was $70.  And it may encourage the after market in magazines for other rifles.

Using it for self-defense because it would look less evil in court than an AR, would be negated by the large capacity magazine, I think.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

cakeyes

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2011, 07:13:31 AM »
MUST HAVE!

(and I have an inside line on Ching Slings ;)  )

Andy
I do not see what this rifle would do for me that my FNAR would do for me 10 times better. I'm a fan of J Cooper but this rifle is late to the party!

Sponsor

« Reply #75 on: Today at 05:14:54 PM »

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2011, 03:30:26 PM »
From MB:
Especially cherish functional magazines! I've heard more good than bad about the Remington R-25 evolution of the DPMS platform, but I haven't yet seen it "wrung out" and I don't have any personal experience with it.

The R25 is heavy, but shoots very well and is 100% with any mag brand I have used - and any ammo, factory or reload.

Question I posted on MB's blog - what is the advantage of using a forward scope mount since recharging with stripper clips has been taken off the table with this Ruger.   Shooting with both eyes open?
You can use ANY scope with both eyes open providing you don't have the power cranked up too far. Plus, a proper scope mount enables you to turn up that power and use the scope for what it was designed to do - sight in on small targets at farther range.
If you want fast, an Eotech would be much faster IMHO.

What Ruger released is a M77 with a short barrel, detachable mag and a rail.
I don't get the excitement.  Definitely not on my list of 'must haves'.

I do not see what this rifle would do for me that my FNAR would do for me 10 times better. I'm a fan of J Cooper but this rifle is late to the party!

By at least 20 years....

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2011, 11:27:46 PM »
M'ette,

Are you going to put glass on it, or just shoot it with the irons?   Bill T.

To be honest.. I really prefer open sights sometimes.. ( depends on what I am shooting.. )but Marshal is insisting that I put a forward scope mount on it with a Burris scope.. http://www.burrisoptics.com/specialty.html  
I'll probably like it I am sure...

He said if I didn't like it.. he would take it and put it on his gun ( which will be the left handed version of this same rifle..)
Yea yea yea.. the crybaby has one coming as soon as they are ready.. LOL  ;D

"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

ccd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2011, 12:15:41 AM »
What I like about the the Ruger Scout rifle:
   a)It is essentially begging to have a suppressor put on it
   b)the rail looks like it should easily take an extended riser( saw
      one in the Gunblast review of the rifle) this would enable the easy
      mounting of NVD in front of day optics for a considerably cheaper price
   than most other bolt actions that allow this.
c) the new polymer bottom and AICS mags should lead to some very
    interesting future products from Ruger
d) $58 dollars for AICS mags is a LOT CHEAPER than the price Tikka
    charges for their plastic mags, which are nowhere near the same level of
    quality
e) NV compatability + 10 rd magazine + suppressor = ideal hog or culling
    rifle. Also these same features make it a good option for LE work where
    AR’s are frowned upon for political reasons

My other main thought on scout rifles is that I prefer using red dots on them instead of the forward mounted scout scopes. I tried the Leupold version and just couldn’t warm up to it. As others have noted it is quite easy to use low powered conventional scopes and still be able to look around the scope ( use both eyes). Also really wish that Ruger could have managed to use a synthetic stock instead of the laminate one. It would also be nice if Ruger offered the rifle with their target trigger especially for the MSRP it has.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2011, 06:59:25 AM »
To be honest.. I really prefer open sights sometimes.. ( depends on what I am shooting.. )

I'm the same way. Most all of my AR's have factory irons. Even with my ageing eyes I can still shoot them well enough. Scopes are nice, and many rifles require them, but too many think iron sights are outdated. I disagree. When you look at the ruggedness factor, (very important in a military type battle rifle), iron sights are all but invaluable. Also, in shooting from field positions at medium ranges, I find irons to be easier to make consistent hits with.

I once scoped my Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Magnum because it came with rings. After several range sessions I removed it. I found I could shoot it more accurately with the factory iron sights. That made me reevaluate my thinking on scoping rifles as well.   Bill T.

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2011, 10:46:54 PM »
Got the Burris scope in.. Got it on.....
 Have to wait to tell you if I like it or not.. after I shoot it..  ;)
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk