Author Topic: New Springfield XD9 Vs. Ruger SR9  (Read 34580 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 585
Re: New Springfield XD9 Vs. Ruger SR9
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 12:07:01 PM »
If you gotta have a magazine disconnect (and for a lot of LEO contracts, you do). I like the Ruger system...pops right out! I don't think it actually changed the trigger on either of my SR9s, although I would like to believe it did...

I'm heading to GUNSITE next week to go through the 250/350 pistol class with the SR9s...I'll know a LOT more about them by the end of next week!

Michael B

I caught the audio podcast this week....so how was the SR9 to the end?  Got better with use?  Just wondering if it displaced the model you said you kept in your nightstand....
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 09:13:02 AM »
Well Rastus have you fired it yet??  What do you think?

-Bidah
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 12:29:46 PM »

-Bidah
Just in the flower bed to clean and carress it a few times.  Got a bad case of stomach flu on Wednesday...still down today Saturday.

The dang magazine follower seems to hang up though.  After I empty the mag I'm going to try some teflon spray to see if that helps.  Feels good whilst hunting tulip bulbs though.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 07:12:06 AM »

-Bidah
Bidah,
I put 350-400 rounds flawlessly, without a failure, through it yesterday evening (sure like that 9MM when it comes to price).  This is the first striker type gun I've owned...I much prefer the trigger on SA/DA's but I see a real place for this in concealed carry without having to mess with the manual safety.  I also put 150-200 rounds through a .40 CZ 75B and a similar amount through a Browning BDA in .380. 

I shot better groups with the CZ & BDA...but they don't have triggers that cock the striker so you would expect that.  The CZ jammed 4 or 5 times...DANG...but I think it was the bullet shape on the Winchester white box ammo (any other CZ owners have similar experience with the "triangular" looking bullets?).

I need to put a few more through the SR9 from a  rest giving it time to cool.  It may have a zero change as the barrel heats....I'm not certain it could have been me...but it sure looked like it.  I seemed to shoot better groups when the barrel was hot.  Next time I'll verify wandering zero....this time was to put rounds through it to loosen it up.  Still not as smooth as I'd like so...I'll try another 100 or so soon.

I picked up an FNP9 for the same price as the SR9....not a striker though...all the controls on it were silkly smooth...not like the SR9 after 350-400 shots.  I'm going to pick up an FNP in a few weeks...it doesn't have the nice single-stack feel the SR9 has...but it is really light....if I could have one and the striker wasn't an issue to have for concealed carry, without shooting it I'm liking the FNP.  I've several Rugers (10+) and some FN products....the FN's I have are all smoother and slicker than any of the Ruger's I've purchased.  Hence the reason several Vaquero's are headed to Bob Munden soon.

Ken

justbill

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 09:51:56 AM »
 +1 for Michael's impressions of the SR9 at Gunsite

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:02:41 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 09:23:03 PM »

-Bidah
Amother 250-300 rounds today.  It's slicked up somewhat.  My 18 year old says it's gotten a lot smoother and he likes the trigger.  I don't like the trigger.  Which says.....it's personal preference.  I do like the striker fired, cocking with the trigger for carry so...I'll likely carry the SR9 instead of say....one of my 1911's.

The slide stop is a bit hard to get off because the lever is so small...or it could be because I've worn my fool thumb off shooting the last few days....but it's a good kind of worn off.  Didn't get to check the cold/hot zero drift today...not enough patience.  Maybe next time.

No failures.  No failures.  No failures. 

tombogan03884

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 10:07:52 PM »
No failures.  No failures.  No failures. 

Thats the part that counts!  :)   And you can bet your bottom dollar some one somewhere is designing a replacement safety lever already ;D

justbill

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 02:22:15 PM »

...you can bet your bottom dollar some one somewhere is designing a replacement safety lever already ;D

Let's hope so. I've only handled an SR9, never fired one yet, but came away feeling the lever was awfully small.

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 08:50:28 PM »
Going Friday to a gun store about 60 miles from me to look at what they got  and then I'll decide on which 2 or 3  to mind battle over for the next 4 or 5  weeks but I really want an SR9. Decisions  decisions.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 01:40:16 AM »
Anyone seen the XD with thumb safety?  Any impressions or comments or are they even out yet?
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk