Author Topic: what should i git a glock or 1911  (Read 36806 times)

Ron J

Re: what should i git a glock or 1911
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2008, 07:49:02 AM »
Frogger!  Welcome to the forum! 

Like others have said, both "can be" great handguns.   It comes down to what you like in your hand that matters.  For myself, I would prefer a 1911 (or a SIG or a Browning HP) over a Glock.  While I agree that Glocks are superb handguns, they are just not for me. 

My 2¢ on buying any gun is based on four things:

1) Function - Which includes reliability and how the gun fits or feels.
2) Accuracy - "Only accurate firearms are interesting".
3) Purpose - Does this firearm have the platform and capability to exceed at the purpose I need it for? 
4) How the gun looks - No reason why an investment in a firearm shouldn't be aesthetically pleasing.

Good luck with your choice! 

GI Joe

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »
Buy the GLOCK

TexasAggie01

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 11:53:19 AM »
go with your gut... Its also helpful to rent them both, shoot them, then make up your mind.

First said, best said.

git 'em both

That's what I did. ;D

Like others have said, both "can be" great handguns.   It comes down to what you like in your hand that matters.  For myself, I would prefer a 1911 (or a SIG or a Browning HP) over a Glock.  While I agree that Glocks are superb handguns, they are just not for me. 

My 2¢ on buying any gun is based on four things:

1) Function - Which includes reliability and how the gun fits or feels.
2) Accuracy - "Only accurate firearms are interesting".
3) Purpose - Does this firearm have the platform and capability to exceed at the purpose I need it for? 
4) How the gun looks - No reason why an investment in a firearm shouldn't be aesthetically pleasing.

Very well said. It's a very personal thing. It must fit your hand, your shooting method, and your budget, be comfortable enough to carry and shoot, and appeal to you.

avitiar

• Forum Member
  • The kids!!!!! 6.8-.223
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2008, 12:34:31 AM »
I love 1911's!! I have (3)  a STI Sparrtan 5" , a kimber eclips 3" , and akimber eclips 5" custom shop. I love ALL .  There is a lot of good info on glocks. And they are good guns with out question!!  I do not have a glock! my brother and two of my best friends do! I will get my first stricker gun a spring field armory XDM in 9mm, and a ruger SR9. no glocks for this guy!!! safety issues!!!!    Do your research!!! safety first!!! I carry my  3" kimber eclips 1911 in chambered in .45.  ;)
Roland

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2008, 09:54:14 AM »
I love 1911's!! I have (3)  a STI Sparrtan 5" , a kimber eclips 3" , and akimber eclips 5" custom shop. I love ALL .  There is a lot of good info on glocks. And they are good guns with out question!!  I do not have a glock! my brother and two of my best friends do! I will get my first stricker gun a spring field armory XDM in 9mm, and a ruger SR9. no glocks for this guy!!! safety issues!!!!    Do your research!!! safety first!!! I carry my  3" kimber eclips 1911 in chambered in .45.  ;)

Glock safety issues ???  Last time I checked the SR9 was RECALLED for safety issues and still isn't right (ask Jay).  The Glocks that have had issues, a lot of those were ammo problems not directly tied to the guns.  The guns functioned properly and actually blew out the extractor minimizing the injury to the shooter.  Happened to me personally, bad FACTORY reloaded ammo had a case seperate and the extractor blew out.  I got a small scratch on my hand instead of the gun coming apart.
If your complaint is about the lack of external safety, the best safety for it is KEEP YOUR FINGER AWAY FROM THE TRIGGER.  Only one model of the XD and M&P have safeties, then only the version built for outdated military requirements that say they have to have an external safety even though they have been shooting pistols without safeties for years (Sig P228/M11)

I have both a 1911 and Glocks (17/23) and have used them for IDPA and USPSA matches and practice with them when I can.  I like the feel of the 1911 a little better but shoot the Glocks better.  Probably due to the sights on the 1911 being crappy and I use the Glocks more since the 17 is the wife's and its always at the range with us.  Go with feeling and get something you like.  There are 1911s out there in the same price raange as a Glock that are pretty good (STI Spartan, Taurus PT1911, or if you look hard enough a used Springfield or Para)
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 11:10:25 PM »

SlideRacker

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 09:50:15 PM »
Glock vs 1911- this question only comes around every .028 seconds or so in gun shops across the country. I love my 1911, and wouldn't be without at least one; however, light weight, high cap., and reliability virtues have to be looked at. I am a CCW guy, so a Glock fits the bill much of the time. The 1911 is great, but let's face it, it will pull your pants down without a really good belt and rig. In its natural form, it has 7 to 8 rounds, and we'll keep our fingers crossed that it will feed the wild man-stoppers we've stuffed in it. Personally, I have found that most 1911 can be made to feed anything, but once you've went though all the tweeking, it's still hard to know without a shadow of a doubt that the thing won't choke on you. The Glock has a better rep. for eating anything you put in it. The Glock will bring 14 to 15 rounds to the fight. I won't compare accuracy because they can both be tack drivers, and in a defence situation, accuracy isn't everything. On the range a 2 inch group at 25 yards is fun, but in a fight, being off an inch or two at five yards won't matter. The Glock has a lot in the way of blessings, but we pay for it in other areas. It's ugly, it's plastic ( not really ), it has some kind of voodoo magic striker system, when it goes bang you feel the whole process thoughout your body. At the end of the day, you have to ask "why do I need the thing". Once you have that nailed down, pick the one that fills the need. For me, I want to look at my 1911, but I want to carry my Glock. If you want to wrap your mind around a whole new question, consider a snubby in .357 mag for a carry gun. That will keep your gears turning for a month or so.

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 11:09:43 PM »
SO has the OP bought both yet???? ;D
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 03:16:33 AM »
I still say git 'em both but so far haven't got a Glock. Even with a plastic frame it's actually a little heavier than an alloy frame 1911 with the same barrel length and high magazine capacity, if the manufacturers listed specs are right. It's not enough to determine whether your pants fall down or not. A Glock 21 13+1 .45 with a 4.6" barrel is 26.28 ounces. An alloy framed Para Big Hawg 14+1 .45 with a 5" barrel is 28 ounces, 1.72 ounces more than the Glock. If you put a 4.25" barrel and slide on it, then it would weigh 24 ounces, 2.28 ounces less than the Glock and still hold 1 more round in the mag. The weight of these guns is so close it's not even an issue for me. I think you should get a Glock, a 1911, a .357 magnum, a 12 gauge shotgun, and an AR-15 or similar rifle, a .22 pistol, and .22 rifle.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 05:29:24 AM »
FWIW, ATF is dropping Sigs for Glocks for duty guns.
Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 05:46:35 AM »
With the number of LEOs that are carrying Glocks and even more getting them they can't be too bad.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk