Author Topic: gun safe, can't open  (Read 16294 times)

DeltaM

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
gun safe, can't open
« on: June 14, 2009, 08:22:48 PM »
I keep 2 of my CC guns, when not in my pocket, in a drawer safe beside my bed.  It is one of those "Stack-On" brand that has a electronic digital combination with a key behind a cover for backup to open it.  The batteries must have died all of a sudden without warning.  I can't find where I hid the key.  Really tics me off. 

Has anyone had a similar problem?  The locksmiths around here us a Black & Decker pic to open such things.  I really don't want steel filings raining down on my pistols.

tombogan03884

Re: gun safe, can't open
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 08:25:27 PM »
If it's "Stack On a good pry bar will do the job. They are not very rugged.

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 08:40:51 PM »
http://stack-on.com/securityplus/instructions/pdf/GC-908-5-900-5_9017-0707.pdf

here's a form to get a new key, if it isn't urgent. what kind of key is it? should be able to pick it even if it's a round, barrel type. (they have special picks). anyway, good luck, and next time remember where you left the darn keys!  ;)
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

Green Mountain Gringo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 08:50:18 PM »
We keep looking at the smaller safes but haven't chosen one.  I was comparing two today, both electronic.  One had key backup the other did not.  Made me wonder what you'd do if the batteries ran out on the one without key backup.

Probably be in the same situation as DeltaM

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 08:55:22 PM »
We keep looking at the smaller safes but haven't chosen one.  I was comparing two today, both electronic.  One had key backup the other did not.  Made me wonder what you'd do if the batteries ran out on the one without key backup.

Probably be in the same situation as DeltaM

GMG...I have a small GunVault for two or three handguns and mags/speedloaders.  It has a touch pad AND a key to open it.  It takes about one to two seconds to open and my key is with me, or my car keys, always.  My daughter carries the other key with her.  They have a new micro vault for a single handgun, I think I'm going to buy one for the trunk of my car.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:13:51 AM »

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 09:38:22 PM »
Some of the better safes have a set of contacts on the side to touch a battery against to open the safe in the event the batteries go dead.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

JSC3ATLCSO

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 11:07:11 PM »
My small safe Has the ability to be plugged in.  Might be a good option

DeltaM

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 12:37:39 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I'm gonna try the stack on sight first, then cut it open.  The safe came from Dick's for about $50.00.  A locksmith would cost more than the safe is worth.  I very briefly, thought about cutting the hinges off with my cutting torch ;D but realized it would be like using a match to see how much gas is in a tank .  I keep a couple speed loaders in there too. 

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 09:03:47 PM »
thought about cutting the hinges off with my cutting torch Grin but realized it would be like using a match to see how much gas is in a tank

Great call, the loudest sound when using a cutting torch to get into a safe is BANG!

I hope the destruction of the safe is a last resort.... Post some pics though, as ya know a learning experience.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

WaltGraham

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 09:16:42 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I'm gonna try the stack on sight first, then cut it open.  The safe came from Dick's for about $50.00.  A locksmith would cost more than the safe is worth.  I very briefly, thought about cutting the hinges off with my cutting torch ;D but realized it would be like using a match to see how much gas is in a tank .  I keep a couple speed loaders in there too. 

If you have to cut it, find a body shop that has a plasma cutter. You'll get some sparks but not nearly the heat input you would from an oxy-fuel torch. Cut out a side from the top down and use some wet cloth to minimize heat retention. It should take less than 10 seconds. I've got the same type of box and cogitated what I might do in your situation. Doubtless, though, getting a replacement key is the best option.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk