Author Topic: List your top 5 rifles and why...  (Read 22607 times)

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: List your top 5 rifles and why...
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2010, 04:31:58 AM »
1) CETME/H&K/PTR - Works! These weapons are as reliable as an AK in a much better caliber. Yes the ergonomics could be better but proper training can overcome this to a large degree

2) AK - Works! Accuracy is good enough for most jobs and can be improved with a little work (polishing the crown #1) and penetration and hitting power are much (MUCH!) better than any 5.56mm. The Sako M-92s would be my choice as the all time best AK type ever made

3) Vz. 58 - Czech rifle that gave the AK a run for its money. Just as reliable as an AK it is lighter and more accurate

4) FR-8 - Small (relatively) light carbine based on the K-98 Mauser with CETME barrel and flash-suppressor chambered in 7.62 NATO. All mine needs is a scout-scope mounted

5) FR-F1 - French Sniper-rifle, just cause it's so damn cool!

Why no FN? Cause of the rat-tail in the stock and the funky headspace.
Why no M-1/M-14/BM-59? Good weapons but they require too much maintenance for me.
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

capbyrd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 11:27:15 AM »
In no particular order

M1 Garand - I have had a love affair with this rifle since I saw one for the first time.  Beautiful rifle and fantastic shooter.
10/22 - My first rifle.  Everyone should own a 10/22.  There is no better way for a child to learn to shoot than the 10/22
AR15 - The sheer versatility of the AR platform destroys all competitors.  The fact that you can have a semi automatic .22lr, .223/5.56, 6.5, 6.8, etc all the way to a bolt action .50 BMG proves that the AR design was worth it.
Mosin Nagant 91/30 - Sniper 2.  nuff said

I don't know what to pick for the last spot. 

Wolfgang1952

• NRA Life Member
  • Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2010, 11:27:53 PM »
My most favorite rifle is my Dad’s Savage 99E lever gun in Savage 300.  That was the first high powered rifle I ever shot.  I guess I was around 12 then.  I wasn’t ready for it yet.  Dad bought me a Winchester Centennial Model 94 (30-30) with a long octagon barrel plus it had a 10 round tube.  After my four years in the Navy (71-75). When I went to working for the St. Bernard Sheriff’s Office in 75 my taste turned to military and military type rifles, and pistols.
1   FAL-L1A1 Emblem receiver and I think it might be Austrian parts. Replaced the tin-pan top cover with a scope mount top cover from Tapco and a BSA 6X24X50 mill teck scope.  3in. group at 100 yards.  Puts meat on the table.

2  AK47  Romanianyugo underfolder  (Romanian front end and Yugoslavian  rear end.  Nothing fancy yet.  Well be tricked out in a couple of weeks though. Scope, Laser, and Light.

3  Springfield Armory M1A1,  I love it, very accurate, long range, but much heavier than my FAL-L1A1.  This is the most expensive gun I have ever bought.

4  Rugar  Mini 14-182 series.  Bought it back in the 80’s for police work and hunting.  I have taken more Deer with this gun than any other gun I have.

5  Mauser 98K,  I had it converted to 308.  Still wants to reach out and touch ya.
Now for when it is time to grab the stuff and run.  I well be grabbing the FAL-L1A1 and the AK47.  Most of my BOG is already put together.
The Confederacy Will Rise Again…….

One more thing, remember the three B’s.  Bearn, Bullets, and Band-Aids

Beans, for food

Bullets, Too hunt and defend you and your family with.

Band-Aids, Too cover your wounds with

You can never have too many guns or not enough AMMO....

Wolf

Too many guns and not enough AMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

joediaz

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 04:36:39 AM »
Hmm...
1. Ruger 10/22: easily the most adaptable, customizable auto .22 you can get your hands on. Bar none. Mine is as tricked as any I have ever seen or handled...but I still see new stuff I would like to do to it.

2. AR15: the most modular, adaptable carbine out there today. Anything you want you can have, in a myriad of configurations and calibers. Low recoil and easy hits out to 300 yds and beyond. What's not to like??

3. Marlin 336 30-30 how many deer have been taken with this rifle? Ease of use, easy maintenance, scoped or open sights. It may not demand the price of its winchester "cousins" but I would rather get a bargain shooter than an expensive safe queen any day.

4. GSG5: come on...a $500 .22lr carbine that looks like a $3500 HK subgun? Shoots accurately, reliably? Hell yes. I even had someone mistake mine for a suppressed HK at the range. How cool is that? Now just get german sport guns to make a Barrett clone....

5. This one was kinda hard...I think the Barrett .50 has to get the nod. Whether a single shot or a semi auto, these things are accurate out to a friggin mile in the right hands. One of the few "small" arms that could take out an insurgent or a tractor trailer just as easily. It shoots a bullet that weighs as much as a small dog...okay that's an exageration, but not by much...

Honorable mentions? Remington 700, winchester model 70,       m14, ak47....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk