Author Topic: Thompson: 'Not particularly interested in running for president'  (Read 4014 times)

camacho

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thompson: 'Not particularly interested in running for president'
« on: December 30, 2007, 07:34:36 AM »
(CNN) — Republican Fred Thompson has long faced criticism he lacks motivation to be President of the United States, but the Tennessee Republican's latest comments Saturday are likely to spawn fresh heat.

“I’m not particularly interested in running for president," the former senator said at a campaign event in Burlington when challenged by a voter over his desire to be commander-in-chief.

“But I think I’d make a good president," Thompson continued. "I have the background, capability, and concern to do this and I’m doing it for the right reasons.”

Thompson took heat for not jumping into the White House race until September — significantly later than every other candidate — and has since been criticized for his lax campaign style and often-times light schedule.

The former actor has criticized his rivals for launching their presidential bids months ahead of his, and continually touts the fact he hasn't harbored presidential ambitions his whole career.

"I am not consumed by personal ambition," Thompson also said Saturday. "I'm offering myself up."

"I'm only consumed by a few things and politics is not one of them."

But Thompson also said the sacrifices he has made to run for president proves he wants the top job.

"To be clean I had to cut everything off. I was doing speaking engagements and I had a contract to do a TV show, I had a contract with ABC Radio like I was talking about earlier and so forth," he said. "I guess a man would have to be a total fool to do all those things and to be leaving his family, which is not a joyful thing at all, if he didn’t want to do it."
– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

jpr9954

• Active Forum Member
    • No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
  • Liked:
Re: Thompson: 'Not particularly interested in running for president'
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:00:45 PM »
IF you are going to quote an excerpt from a speech, you might as well quote the whole speech. We all know that selective editing by reporters, editors, and Huck supporters are going to make Fred look bad. :P

http://www.bobkrumm.com/blog/?p=1732

See the selective editing in USA Today (or CNN) and contrast it with the whole speech. It makes a big difference.

John

PS: Fred has responded himself to this selective editing:

http://www.redstate.com/stories/elections/2008/getting_the_story_straight
So-called gun-free zones are nothing but hunting preserves for psychopaths that hunt humans. -- Massad Ayoob

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com

Co-host of The Polite Society Podcast

camacho

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 12:30:21 PM »
IF you are going to quote an excerpt from a speech, you might as well quote the whole speech. We all know that selective editing by reporters, editors, and Huck supporters are going to make Fred look bad.

I just posted what was on CNN. Wasn't not familiar with the entire speech. Actually, I did support Fred when he first announced running but as we all can see he did not live up to the expectations (which were very high in all fairness). I still support his view on many issues (Federalism being an important one for me); others such as Globalization I am strongly against.

To sum up, I was just posting the latest on Fred, did not try to make him look bad. 

walangkatapat

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 12:46:43 PM »
I'm voting for Fred in the Primary, win or lose I may just write him in for the General.

gemurdock

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 02:00:42 PM »
Very amusing that the Huckabee for president fan cites the Clinton News Network "information" on Fred.  What, Al Jezeera didn't report on it?  The Hucksters make an unfortunate parody of John Edwards with a Bible for the Republicans, but I would vote for the real thing before i would vote for the Huckster.  See if you can tell the difference: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1207/7542.html  Haven't we had enough Arkansas slicksters form "Hope"?

Sponsor

camacho

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 08:30:01 PM »
Very amusing that the Huckabee for president fan cites the Clinton News Network "information" on Fred.  What, Al Jezeera didn't report on it?

gemurdock, as I said what I posted was not driven by ulterior motives. It was about Fred, and it was in a major media outlet. CNN is   not pro-Huckabee either if that makes you feel better. It was not a post about who "the real thing is". I respect Fred, and he is the real thing (not the only one though) when it comes to his conservative credentials. However, his zest, or lack thereof for becoming a President is at the least questionable, and this is not CNN's fault (as much as we all want it to be).

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 01:50:22 AM »
The people who WANT to be president are the last ones we want to vote for. I think we should DRAFT people who have the skills and integrity to work for America, not for a party, not to improve their chances for reelection. I'm voting for Fred weather he wants the job or not.
       On another subject , disagreement is fine, but we should work together to find honest news sources , not Trash Camacho becuase his available source happens to stink. We REALLY must hang together or hang seperatly.
 I would point out that the man who said that was not speaking metaphoricly, Getting his neck streched was a reakl possibility.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk