Author Topic: "REMINGTON Model 700 UNDER FIRE: A CNBC INVESTIGATION"  (Read 32107 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "REMINGTON Model 700 UNDER FIRE: A CNBC INVESTIGATION"
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 07:14:04 PM »
Timothy is this your quote or the engineers.

"Anyone who's ever shot a 700 knows how light and crisp the triggers are."

When ever I do a trigger job or adjust a trigger I weigh it before I begin, hopefully in front of the client, so afterward I can weigh it again, and show the improvement, see my post above about testing to make sure it is safe. Most out of the box 700 rifles triggers, have a pull weight of 4.5 to 10 lbs.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Timothy

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 07:18:45 PM »
Sorry for the confusion.  That was my comment, not the designers and in retrospect, of the four or five 700 I've shot over the years, I have no way of telling if they'd been worked by a smith or stock.

My future SIL's trigger on his new one is pretty good out of the box.....

Panzer1

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 07:42:52 PM »
First time poster and long time owner of the model 700, never had a problem with it.

I saw the show on TV last night and have been interested in finding out as much as I can about this issue.

From what I saw in the program they showed videos of the police and army having misfires with their 700's.   I think that's cause for concern.  In the army video the 700 fired when the soldier touched the bolt.  In another video the gun went off when the safety was moved to fire.  I would not have believed it.

Also the inventor of the 700 called Remington "stupid".

Just trying to get to the bottom of this.

Panzer

Panzer1

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 07:50:53 PM »
Also Remington has their "10 Commandments of Firearm Safety"

The 3rd commandment is: " Don't rely on your gun's safety."

Its odd that that would be one of the commandments.  I would think you should be able to rely on the safety if safety's always worked.  If safety's don't always work then you should not rely on the safety. 

Panzer

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 07:58:20 PM »
Also Remington has their "10 Commandments of Firearm Safety"

The 3rd commandment is: " Don't rely on your gun's safety."

Its odd that that would be one of the commandments.  I would think you should be able to rely on the safety if safety's always worked.  If safety's don't always work then you should not rely on the safety. 

Panzer

Welcome aboard, Panzer.

About the safety.

I doubt you will find any gun manufacture (or responsible gun enthusiast) who will tell you to go ahead and flip the safety on and then you can wave the gun around without concern about who or what you are sweeping with it.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:26:25 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 08:10:24 PM »
The only effective safety is between your ears.

Panzer1

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »
Still, I think the central issue here should:  be can the 700 fire without a trigger pull?  yes or no ...

Panzer

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 11:08:25 PM »
Still, I think the central issue here should:  be can the 700 fire without a trigger pull?  yes or no ...

Panzer

I agree Panzer, and quite frankly the answers the guy from Remington gave sounded weak.  Lot of 'we didn't get to test that gun' and 'they can't prove no one touched the trigger' or "It could have been a very dirty gun'.  So what if the memos were from the R&D time.  Did ya fix the problem?

He never flat out said "The safety works fine".
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

tombogan03884

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 12:25:44 AM »
Come on, it's CNBC.
How do you expect to get accurate reporting from people who have no clue what they are talking about.
Two key words, "gun" and "bad", the rest of it is just a rehash of "the narrative". before you judge Remington harshly it would be wise to do something like , say, looking at the rifles the use for props and examples, ask yourself things like, is that actually a Mod 700 in this video, or a Winch. 70.
Reporters frequently make mistakes that to us are that blindingly obvious,  things like saying "semi automatic machine gun".
Since the Model 700 has been sold in 100's of thousands over the last 60 years or so I just can't get to worked up about this.
Even I owned one and I'm not a bolt gun guy, though I did have a model 70 at the same time .   ;D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 08:36:21 AM »
I didn't see the episode, but the problem is they, (CNBC), are a day late and a dollar short with this whole deal. This was in the news back in the 80's. Everyone in the industry has heard about it at one time or another. And now with the introduction of the X-Mark Pro Trigger, it is finally behind Remington once and for all.

Don't quote me here because I'm not entirely sure. But from a legal perspective I think something was done to protect the new owners of Remington from further legal damage from this when Du Pont sold the company way back when. Otherwise who would want to buy into a company with such legal ramifications brewing from within. You could find yourself on the ropes for millions 2 weeks after you closed the deal.

Remington is the bad guy here only because they never really did much when this whole thing surfaced. Perhaps they couldn't because it would have made them look even more liable if they scrapped the whole Walker Fire Control System at the first sign of legal trouble. Everyone would have come out of the woodwork who had one and was hungry for a buck. That could have bankrupted them in no time. Again, this is just a guesstimation on my part, and I'm no lawyer. Anyway, as I mentioned I own 4 Remington 700's, all bought before the 80's ended. I've never had an issue, but I never use the safety on any of my rifles so it really doesn't matter. This is water that has long gone over the dam, and since evaporated.   Bill T.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk