Author Topic: New but Old S&W --- THEY're H-E-R-E-E-E-E  (Read 10428 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: New but Old S&W --- THEY're H-E-R-E-E-E-E
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 08:48:34 AM »
Gonna have to change my moniker to "wheelman" now.    Reactivated my S&W Forum account already which I had created because I was selling an old Victory model for my sister.

The third auction gun is a S&W 66 (no dash) made prior to 1977 when they introduced the -1.

GOOD NEWS:   While used, it is in excellent shape.  Locks tightly.  Finish is in reasonable shape with few scratches.  Action is smooth as glass.   Notable features most of which they discontinued in later models, include, recessed cylinders, adjustable trigger stop and stainless steel sights.

TRIGGER STOP:  I didn't even realize that the gun had this until I was reading in the S&W forum.  Great for target work, but most LEOs had them removed anyway.  If they work loose they can prevent a full trigger pull.   Smith discontinued them later but left the slot in the frame, rather than re-do the machining. The parts could be added to later models.   Definitely adds to collector value.

STAINLESS SIGHTS:  Not a great idea.....BUT.....unique & collectable, just not great sights.   If I intended to "carry" this gun, I'd put black sights in the rear and a red ramp on the front.  Easy to do and I can always re-install the originals.

BAD NEWS:  Light firing pin strike won't fire most of the ammo.   Only fired 1 out of 6 .38spls.   Simple to fix.  First a good cleaning to make sure somethings not in the way.  Second is to check the hammer spring.  Might just order a new one anyway.  And lastly is the firing pin, hammer mounted, which seems a little loose.   I might replace that as well, just to be safe.   I think, most of the firing pins are the same size, so I may try a swap.  (Yes I'll put the micrometer to it before I do.)  

All in all a good purchase.   To Do List: Fix light hammer strike.  Find original grips.  Put in red ram and black rear sight.  

Oh, here's the picture.  I'll take a different angle later so you can see the trigger stop

And here are the threesome.  The trigger stop is visible on the 66.    I'll post the whole revolver stable later.   I think many revolvers are just plain ugly and unassuming, but mine....well they're pretty and functional and more importantly, they LOOK functional.  Not pimp guns, but for serious business.  Nothing says "don't screw with me" like a big honkin' Smith.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:12:44 AM »
Last post on the topic unless someone has a question.

Here's my wheel gun stable.  I think they now outnumber the semi's.

Left to right top to bottom.

Wife's Charter Bulldog - .44 Spl and my Dad's H&R 999 .22lr
Great Uncle Asbury's, Chief of Police-Cordele, GA, S&W M&P .38spl  and S&W 686 .357Mag
Bottom row:  S&W 624 .44Spl, S&W 66 .357Mag, Grandmother's S&W .32S&W, S&W 586 .357Mag

Will work for ammo

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 10:24:19 AM »
Nice set of triplets!  ;D

The hammer nose isn't rigid, it should pivot on the rivet.
There is some vertical movement and most models have a spring that pushes it back down, on some models its not listed.

Check the strain screw on the mainspring. Someone may have loosened it to lighten the trigger pull. If the screw is tight, you can just bend the mainspring a bit (straighten) by hand to give it some more oomph.

I don't want to insult you but, you know how to get the sideplate off without dinging it up right?

How I do it: take out the screws, (the screwdriver must fit PERFECT and don't mix up the screws), push the thumblatch, swing out the cylinder and remove the cylinder and yoke.
I hold the gun sideplate down in one hand and bang on the grip with the plastic handle of the screwdriver. The sideplate and the hammer block will fall into your hand - DON'T PRY IT UP. It will bugger up the seam and you will kick yourself.

To replace, set the hammer block on the rebound slide pin and the L portion in front of the hammer. Push it up so the pin is at the bottom of the slot. Put the sideplate in place and use the screws to pull it into its final position.   
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 10:35:17 AM »
Nice collection!  At lease you have some REAL GUNZ to go with the Tupperware. ;)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 03:44:40 PM »
Drool...... 8)

Very nice Alf.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:49:56 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 05:20:57 PM »

I don't want to insult you but, you know how to get the sideplate off without dinging it up right?

No problem.   It's been awhile since I took one apart and it's nice to have your guidance to help.   I do have the right sized driver tips, so I shouldn't bugger up too much.

The "inertia" trick works on lots of things besides side plates.  But good to be reminded.  I don't always remember when I'm taking somethings apart.

Will work for ammo

Conagher 45

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 02:00:28 PM »
Nice set of wheel guns there ALF. I have a few  Smiths myself but still looking for just one more, or was that a few more. Next one just might be a 686 2.5 inch round butt and a 6 inch 686 would be nice to have too. Have fun with your new old ones.   ;D
There is room for all of God's creatures ....., That would be on my plate right next to the taters and gravy.

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 07:51:38 PM »
Wheel guns are real guns!
Nice collections of iron there alf, but I gotta ask why no rugers?
Surely a redhawk or two and a GP100 or a security six wouldnt make the other kids jealous would they?  ;)
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 07:54:24 AM »
................., but I gotta ask why no rugers?
Surely a redhawk or two and a GP100 or a security six wouldnt make the other kids jealous would they?  ;)

Two reasons.    First, I swore  off Ruger when they got involved in the 10 round magazine politics.  Secondly, I can afford better now.   The first issue they've left behind and I'm willing to let by-gones be by-gones.   And I give them credit for working on the quality of late.   Even to the extent of recommending some of their products. 

My first handgun purchase was a Blackhawk .357 ~5" barrel.  I traded it away and there are sentimental times I think I want it back, but I'm not sure why.  So I let the feeling pass.

I pretty much am trying to spend my money on purpose-driven purchases.   Nothing Ruger has in handguns would fill any itches/needs I have at the moment.   

HOWEVER:  All that said so logically.... I just found out the brother of one of my co-workers is a Ruger rep!    I mean I just found out as in last night.............H-m-m-m-m-m-m.  I wonder how I can arrange a little get together?
Will work for ammo

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 02:31:32 AM »
Nice guns, although frankly, I'd trade off that iffy .357. If I have to mess with it to get it to work, I don't want it. Here's where we  (me and Sledge) get to Ruger. ;D They just go bang period. They may be heavy and ugly, but if I had to choose a revolver to bet my life on, it would be a Ruger, no ifs, ands, or buts.
I don't get the cult of Smith and Wesson. They aren't as smooth as a Colt or as sturdy as Ruger. Folks love them though. I just don't see why. I have a Smith .38 that's nice, but I would trade it for a Colt or Ruger in a heartbeat and not have a second's regret. The way I see it, you go to the old Colts for smooth, the Ruger for durability and Taurus for price. Smith, I'm really not sure. This isn't a slam, its just that I see them as being more expensive than they should be. I love my .38 and I won't part with it unless I can get something better. Still, it doesn't speak to me like a gun of that price should. If I had to describe it, I'd say "Its nice". Its like my Glocks, I like it because it works, but I'm really not attached to it. Maybe its just me. I offer this not to be a jerk, just to get a discussion going, because I honestly don't get the whole "Smith mystique".
FQ13 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk