Author Topic: New ATF purchase rules  (Read 3870 times)

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New ATF purchase rules
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:39:01 AM »
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is moving to require federally licensed firearms retailers to report multiple sales of modern sporting rifles beginning January 5, 2011. Specifically, the ATF requirement calls for firearms retailers to report multiple sales, or other dispositions, of two or more .22 caliber or larger semi-automatic rifles that are capable of accepting a detachable magazine and are purchased by the same individual within five consecutive business days

http://www.nssfblog.com/atf-to-require-multiple-sales-reports-for-long-guns/
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
Re: New ATF purchase rules
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 02:57:36 PM »
What kind of list does this put us on?  I know it is only reporting, which many will tell me is reasonable and not a threat, but the only thing I can see on the horizon is "INFRINGEMENT.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »
I believe this is suppose to be in the border area with Mexico, but I'd be willing to attempt to get on a list... ;D
The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 467
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 07:08:46 PM »
I thought with handguns it was 5 guns.   If it's only 2 for semi-auto rifles.  Wow.  That's easy to do.   Oh, so the way around this is buy the short barreled "pistol" versions of ARs.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Ulmus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
    • Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 08:35:33 PM »
@ brodsometal:

Yeah.  It's in response to a story that aired on FOX Friday.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4467463/shocking-new-twist-in-mexican-drug-war/?playlist_id=86857

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:20:14 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 08:47:30 PM »
Ulmus, that is the same Bullshit that was disproved years ago  ::)

When was the last time you saw an RPG for sale at your local gun store. The American sourced guns in Mexico were mostly supplied Gov to Gov then issued to troops who deserted to the cartels or stolen from arms rooms.
Another thing they are not telling you is that the Mex Gov only submits selected weapons for tracing.

WatchManUSA

• NRA Life Member - Join the NRA!
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 10:25:31 PM »
I believe the current handgun reporting threshold is 2 or more handguns purchased the same day from the same FFL.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." (Groucho Marx)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 04:49:10 AM »
I thought with handguns it was 5 guns.   If it's only 2 for semi-auto rifles.  Wow.  That's easy to do.   Oh, so the way around this is buy the short barreled "pistol" versions of ARs.

no its 2 hand guns with in either 5 or 10 days, I can't remember.  its on the 4473 form,  its one of the questions. It lists it clearly.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 05:54:08 AM »
Here is the story:

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=6103

Friday, December 17, 2010

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has proposed that it be given emergency authority for six months, beginning January 5, to require about 8,500 firearms dealers along the border with Mexico “to alert authorities when they sell within five consecutive business days two or more semiautomatic rifles greater than .22 caliber with detachable magazines.”  A Washington Post story reporting on the BATFE proposal described that definition as being applicable to “so-called assault weapons,” but it would also apply to many rifles that have never been labeled with that term.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 467
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 06:12:12 AM »

no its 2 hand guns with in either 5 or 10 days, I can't remember.  its on the 4473 form,  its one of the questions. It lists it clearly.

Oh.  Read the form.   It's Yes, No No No No No No No No...leave blank.

Well good, I made the multi-purchase list last week and applied for my C&R.   I should be on their radar now.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk