Author Topic: Ruger .308 Scout Rifle Released!  (Read 58590 times)

Badgersmilk

Re: Ruger .308 Scout Rifle Released!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 09:06:33 PM »
VERY NICE! 

One with a synthetic stock in S.S. please!  :)  Pretty, pretty please if it helps!

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 09:44:48 PM »
I want one! And I wonder when a Shrike Belt Fed conversion kit will be available for it too!   ;)

In all seriousness, I am intrigued by it and I like the concept behind it. I think I'll have to give it serious consideration along with the alleged Sig rifle that is setup for 7.62X39 and uses AK mags....

Micheal,
Pay close attention to the detractors' comments as it relates to the AR platform. Perhaps too much has been pushed about the AR platform that everyone now looks at bolt guns they way most look at revolvers- quaint but not really useful in our times. Just a thought there....

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 10:02:27 PM »
I want one! And I wonder when a Shrike Belt Fed conversion kit will be available for it too!   ;)

In all seriousness, I am intrigued by it and I like the concept behind it. I think I'll have to give it serious consideration along with the alleged Sig rifle that is setup for 7.62X39 and uses AK mags....

Micheal,
Pay close attention to the detractors' comments as it relates to the AR platform. Perhaps too much has been pushed about the AR platform that everyone now looks at bolt guns they way most look at revolvers- quaint but not really useful in our times. Just a thought there....
Don't take the pro semi-auto thing too far Fullauto. I like bolts (being left handed, its often a dysfunctional relationship, but I try ;D). Seriously, for accuracy, reliability and just plain aesthetics in a hunting rifle I prefer a bolt for the same reason I prefer a SxS in a hunting shotgun. I'm not at war with the deer/quail, I just want a day in the field. Using an older model gun makes me feel connected to the past traditions of hunting.
But......when shopping on a limited budget and buying a carbine rather than a rifle, a gun geared for 300 yards and under, and particularly one in .308, one has to ask "why not multi-task"?  At $900 a throw, I'm damn close to a used M1A1 or a basic DPMS AR-10 at $1100, and that's before considering the price of replacement mags for the ruger. The AR-10, with a 4-5 round mag will work for bambi, and if things get drastic, all I need is a few 20 rounders and I'm in business. Its not that I love the AR platform, its that for that kind of money, why not get the best of both worlds? On the other hand, scout rifles are cool, and I'd buy a LH version in a heartbeat, but only if I could buy both. If I had to choose? Its the AR hands down. :-\
FQ13 who's bolt action is a VERY well loved Ruger M-77 in .270. I love the looks, the quality, the weight, and the accuracy. So I am NOT knocking Ruger bolt actions here. ;)

langloisandy

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Andys Leather!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 04:27:23 AM »
Did someone mention BELT FED? 

Go here for a Ruger Scout Belt Fed: http://shottist.com/beltfed.html (scroll down)

;)

Andy
Andy
www.andysleather.com
Ask me about Scout Rifle Slings ( www.scoutrifle.org )

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
Not everyone "loves" the AR/semi-auto platform for a rifle. It seems, Ruger is marketing this type of rifle for that market, and those that have a broad enough affection for different types of actions.

I love the bolt action; Power, simplicity, reliability, accuracy, and a magazine to boot. .308 great multi-use caliber. For those that have to have an AR/AK platform, this is not for you.

It's a scout rifle.  There are some National Parks and Wildlife areas that don't allow semi-auto rifles, or limit the mag. capacity to 5 rds.

Seems this would be a great option. I don't need one, but it is a nice concept.

Belt fed? Hmmmm,...... ::)

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:57:30 PM »

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 06:52:43 AM »
Fullauto said:
Pay close attention to the detractors' comments as it relates to the AR platform. Perhaps too much has been pushed about the AR platform

I am not a AR fan boy.  In fact, I "hated" them up to a few years ago until I tried them out.  When the short magnum craze came out, I drank the Kool-Aid until I realized they don't do anything better...good cartridges, just not better. 

Objectively, though, I'm just looking at the specs and wondering what this rifle does that a good semi doesn't do better.

The Scout concept is made for fighting first, hunting second.

Weight - just under 7 pounds.  There are AR10 versions out there that get pretty close to that number.

Magazines - wonderful the Ruger has a 10 rounder in this.  A semi still wins.

Accuracy - if all of them are sub-MOA like Mssr. Bane's, this is a selling point. Sub MOA ARs don't grow on trees.

Reliability - yes, a bolt is hiighly reliable.  When a fighting semi fails it becomes...a bolt gun.

Sheep scaring - the bolt wins this one.

Don't get me wrong.  It's a dandy little gun and would be right at home on a ranch. I will probably be overcome with lust and get one eventually.  It just isn't "all that" for me.
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 07:35:32 AM »
Did someone mention BELT FED? 

Go here for a Ruger Scout Belt Fed: http://shottist.com/beltfed.html (scroll down)

;)

Andy

Went to the site and scanned the text; looked at the pictures.

Just can't visualize how it can work.   After a round is fires and the slide retracts and the fired case is ejected, somehow, the next round is moved into position....with the link around it. 

I will allow that the slide movement could jack the next cartridge into position with some type of gear or lever, but how does the link around the round get ejected as the slide closes?  The text said they link is ejected with the spent case.  Is that the link of the spent case or the link of the next round?  Either there is room for the current link with the round in battery, or somehow the link of a case is ejected before the round is chambered.   Just can't visualize it.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 07:48:50 AM »
At first blush I was intrigued. 

The main thing it has to offer is it's a bolt operated gun with a large capacity magazine.   Large capacity in relation to most hunting rifles limited to 3 or 4 rounds.  The other item is the forward mounted optics rail.    The negatives to me are:

Non M1A1 magazine.  (don't buy the whining about 3rd party magazine quality.)
Sling attachments on the bottom, so magazine pokes you in the back.
High price point, I can get any number of name brand, short barreled rifles rifles for less.

It may get market traction because it isn't semi-auto and it has the box magazine.   My thinking is if I want high capacity I also want rapid fire.   Not for me.  Others may really dig it.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 08:53:40 AM »
Nice rifle, I like it! The price is good, ($995.00 MSRP), should put a street price in or around the $750.00 + - mark. Much better than the Steyr model which was, and still is very overpriced. This comes in comparable to the Savage Scout model, but better equipped. I just wish they would offer a fully synthetic stock with a full Aluminum Bedding Block, such as those offered by H&S Precision, or Savages new Accustock, which I've had very good luck with on my 110-FCP/K in .300 Win. Mag. Perhaps they will at a later date.

The threaded muzzle is very good for anyone who wants to attach a can, and the rail looks to be stout and strong. With a 5 round magazine this would make a fantastic brush gun for deer, Javelina, and a lot of other game, plus it would be a ball at the range. Extra mags shouldn't be hard to get, or too expensive. It will sell well, which is important in a stressed economy. Looks like Ruger got it right, again!  Bill T.

1Buckshot

• Monty Lucht
  • Top Forum Member
  • COMMENCE FIRING
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 11:37:16 AM »
I Like it. But  for my taste I would like 20" barrel . If it had that I would buy one in a instant for my truck gun. It would be a great gun to cover all the bases here in Montana, SD, Varmint, Deer, Elk or Antelope. Topped with a 3-10 scope you would be good out to 500 yards with no problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk