Author Topic: Ruger .308 Scout Rifle Released!  (Read 58592 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Ruger .308 Scout Rifle Released!
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 11:47:38 AM »
Fullauto said:
I am not a AR fan boy.  In fact, I "hated" them up to a few years ago until I tried them out.  When the short magnum craze came out, I drank the Kool-Aid until I realized they don't do anything better...good cartridges, just not better.  

Objectively, though, I'm just looking at the specs and wondering what this rifle does that a good semi doesn't do better.

The Scout concept is made for fighting first, hunting second.

Weight - just under 7 pounds.  There are AR10 versions out there that get pretty close to that number.

Magazines - wonderful the Ruger has a 10 rounder in this.  A semi still wins.

Accuracy - if all of them are sub-MOA like Mssr. Bane's, this is a selling point. Sub MOA ARs don't grow on trees.

Reliability - yes, a bolt is hiighly reliable.  When a fighting semi fails it becomes...a bolt gun.

Sheep scaring - the bolt wins this one.

Don't get me wrong.  It's a dandy little gun and would be right at home on a ranch. I will probably be overcome with lust and get one eventually.  It just isn't "all that" for me.

When a bolt gun does fail it becomes,   a club.   ::)

Where the Bolt action Carbine length rifle comes into it's own in hunting is in thicker forests like we have on the East coast, Tracking through a northern Spruce ,or second growth forest, or through some of the Southern lowlands a longer rifle is going to be a PITA due to getting hung up in branches and brush. Secondly, your shots will not be at long enough ranges to benefit from a longer barrel. Honestly, unless you have a stand on a farmers field or hunt along Power lines, up here most shots are measured in feet rather than yards.

BAC

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 12:14:15 PM »
2 questions:  Will it be available in a left-handed version?  Can you use 7.62 NATO rounds in a .308 rifle (is it similar to 5.56 vs. .223)?

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 02:49:55 PM »
As a lefty, I generally prefer a semi auto, as lefty bolt guns are rare.
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 03:29:42 PM »
If they do it in a lefty version I'll own one.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »
I Like it. But  for my taste I would like 20" barrel . If it had that I would buy one in a instant for my truck gun. It would be a great gun to cover all the bases here in Montana, SD, Varmint, Deer, Elk or Antelope. Topped with a 3-10 scope you would be good out to 500 yards with no problem.
A 20" barrel pretty much takes away the scout rifle designation.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 01:00:22 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 04:37:03 PM »
Can you use 7.62 NATO rounds in a .308 rifle (is it similar to 5.56 vs. .223)?

Yes. Both are the same.   Bill T.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »
When a bolt gun does fail it becomes,   a club.   ::)

Where the Bolt action Carbine length rifle comes into it's own in hunting is in thicker forests like we have on the East coast, Tracking through a northern Spruce ,or second growth forest, or through some of the Southern lowlands a longer rifle is going to be a PITA due to getting hung up in branches and brush. Secondly, your shots will not be at long enough ranges to benefit from a longer barrel. Honestly, unless you have a stand on a farmers field or hunt along Power lines, up here most shots are measured in feet rather than yards.

Dead on there, Tom.

For hunting, I like a compact rifle.

I posted on another thread a while back about my good friend (and long-range competitor) who, just for giggles, took a spare Remington factory bull barrel in .308 and cut it down to 16.5" and put put it on a stock Remington 700 action. It still averaged MOA accuracy out to 400 yards.

But to add to what you said in your post, he just got a 12 point mount back from the taxidermist last week.....he killed it on his property earlier this season, with the above short rifle, from his deer stand......the shot distance was less than 100'.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 05:12:04 PM »

The Scout rifle will be available in a lefty version. No time frame as of now.

MH

Timothy

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 05:15:17 PM »
As a lefty, I generally prefer a semi auto, as lefty bolt guns are rare.

Savage makes several lefty versions of their line of rifles.

BAC

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 06:11:06 PM »
Yes. Both are the same.   Bill T.

Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk