Author Topic: Ruger .308 Scout Rifle Released!  (Read 58594 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Ruger .308 Scout Rifle Released!
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 07:16:56 PM »
Yes. Both are the same.   Bill T.

No they are not. There are small differences in case dimensions, so according to SAAMI using 7.62 in a .308 generates excessive pressure and is definitely not recommended.

anotherkevin

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 06:13:26 PM »
I so wanted to like this, being a big fan of the scout concept, but where is the bipod? Why no mention of the sling mount points?

tombogan03884

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »
MB does talk some about the 2 sling swivel mounts in his blog.

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2010/12/let-there-be-florescent-light.html

Personally, I think putting a bipod on such a short rifle is dumb, it pretty much defeats the whole purpose of making it shorter and lighter.
For that matter I think only benchrest/varmint shooters and mall ninja's use bipods because of the way it adds excess weight that only helps in one position. Of course I may be unduly influenced by all the military snipers I have seen who simply learned proper sling use and gained the ability to actually hold up their rifle.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 08:05:40 PM »
No they are not. There are small differences in case dimensions, so according to SAAMI using 7.62 in a .308 generates excessive pressure and is definitely not recommended.

This argument pops up from time to time, along with the, "Whatever you do don't shoot 5.56 MM in a .223 gun!" My take is I'll pay attention to it, if and when I see or hear any evidence of a gun damaged from doing it. You can search cyberspace and find countless arguments about this, with zero evidence of any damage produced from the practice of doing it, ever.

For what it's worth, the differences in case dimensions are in the thickness, not in the chamber to case sizes. This is both in the .223 / 5.56 MM as well as .308 / 7.62 X 51 MM.  Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 09:00:38 PM »
I've only owned 1 .308, the others have been 7.62 any way, then it doesn't matter.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 07:29:22 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 02:34:12 AM »
This is kind of a long post, but I feel I owe Ruger and MB a few considered words. Having read the reviews and watched the vids I will say this. This would have been the coolest kid on the block in 1914. An army equipped with these and say five mags per soldier would have had a serious advantage. Now? At basically a grand? I just don't see it. I can get the same price point in a semi auto. Hell, if I go Saiga .308, I can cut the price in half. Not as nice, not even in the same league, but the difference between $500 and $1000 is enough to cause most of us to make compromises, given that we have to put a piece of glass on the thing and buy ammo to feed it. :-\
That said, I would love to own one in LH model if I had the money. But it would be a luxury purchase. I still don't see what this has over an M1A1 or an AR-10. It just doesn't compute. Sell it at $600 and it makes sense. That lets you buy the scope or optic. $995 (otherwise known as $1000  ::)), not so much. I can get a regular M-77 at $600 and it isn't much heavier. Plus there's no expensive mag to lose.
Sorry Ruger, I love ya', but this? Make it cheaper or give me a .308 version of the Mini-14 with better accuracy. I'm asking only for pie plates at 300-400 yards, nothing to set the world on fire. I know you can do it. :-\
FQ13
PS This is not a slam. I really want to like this rifle. But the combination of the price and semi-auto alternatives which will perform the tactical applications better, and the hunting applications just as well makes it hard. This isn't even considering the option of slapping an eotech on a lever action. ;)

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 03:47:20 AM »
"Assault rifle" for Bolt gun lovers ;D

or for those that can not get S/A's  8)

kind of reminds me of a Lee-Enfield No 5 Mk I, aka Lee-Enfield Jungle Carbine

now  will they let them in to Australia  with that nasty flash suppressor and that Massive 10 round mag.
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 07:00:24 AM »
Sell it at $600 and it makes sense. That lets you buy the scope or optic. $995 (otherwise known as $1000  ::)), not so much. I can get a regular M-77 at $600 and it isn't much heavier.

The street price of this gun will be nowhere near MSRP. Mini 14's retail for close to that, and sell for much less. Same with most all of the Savage guns. I think when the dust settles, this gun will be sitting on a dealers rack next to a Savage 10-FP for close to the same price. The fact is high capacity, box magazine fed bolt actions are becoming quite popular. With a hinged floorplate you are limited to 3 or 4 rounds. With an extra magazine accompanying this rifle you have a 20 round capacity. Not to mention they can be reloaded much faster. Losing a magazine isn't worth considering simply because the Lee Enfield has proven itself in wartime very successfully. It has a 10 round detachable box magazine. How many soldiers who carried it were killed because they lost their magazine in battle?

The fact of the matter is "Sniper" type bolt action rifles are selling very well as proven by the Savage 10-FP series, and now the new 10 & 110 FCP-K series. The same can be said about the newer more radical 10-BAS-K Models, as well as similar rifles avaliable from Steyr, McMillan, and Lapua. Hell, even Weatherby is seeing and understanding this market, and is now offering tactical versions of their rifles. This gives Ruger a similar platform to compete in.

I have a Springfield Armory SOCOM 16, and this rifle really cannot be compared to it. Yes, they are the same caliber and overall length, but this rifle is, (or at least should be), capable of far better accuracy and shot placement, especially at 200 yards and beyond. The SOCOM 16 is more of a close quarters battle rifle, not really designed for any type of surgical shooting. Not to mention it sells for close to triple of what this gun will end up going for. The SOCOM II sells for even more. If Ruger has a problem selling this weapon it will be do to over saturation of the market with these type of rifles, and or the horrible economy. The latter is hurting every gun maker at present. Ruger has a big following and this rifle will no doubt attract it, along with most anyone in the gun game who is looking for a .30 caliber "Sniper" type rifle in a compact format.  Bill T.

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2011, 07:37:27 AM »
I havent seen any give aways recently........ ;D
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2011, 07:54:53 AM »
Ruger's Scout Rifle reminds me of my Spanish FR-8, (16" short barrel, chambered in 7.62 cal.) that I bought in 1992. The bolt is straight and I only have iron sights, but I saved myself about $800 or more compared to what it would cost me to have the Ruger and a decent scope.

It is a nice looking rifle and I am sure that it is a fun and accurate shooter too. Oh well, another gun to add to the wish list.  :(
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk