Author Topic: Which Slugs For a Cylinder Bore Shotty?  (Read 24664 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Which Slugs For a Cylinder Bore Shotty?
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »
Down the street accuracy FQ? In Palm Beach County? Really? ::) The 585gr 2 3/4" Remington Sluggers get minute of pie plate in my 870 no problem to 50 yds. Plenty of power, devastating chunk of lead.

+1 to Peg's post.

For closer stuff, get the Winchester Ranger 00Buck 9 pellet, with reduced recoil. What a difference!!!! I put one in the tube, and slap loaded a Federal 00Buck from an open action to get a "head to head" comparison.. There is a pleasant reduction of kaboom. and the standard silhouette head shot I was aiming at, 10yds, had 9 holes that looked like pistol rounds. Plus the wad smacked em' also.

billt is right about the Forester. and the Fiocchi are great.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 07:36:49 PM »
I have read that Improved Cylinder works really well on rifled slugs. I used cylinder bore because that is what the gun came with (Winchester 1300 Defender, 8-shot).

Here is some more useful info on slugs and such:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm

Thanks.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 07:39:36 PM »
Down the street accuracy FQ? In Palm Beach County? Really? ::) The 585gr 2 3/4" Remington Sluggers get minute of pie plate in my 870 no problem to 50 yds. Plenty of power, devastating chunk of lead.

Its why I haven't much experience with them. This was just me thinking that in the event of a Katrina type storm it might not be a bad idea to be able to load for looters who are a ways off without resorting to throwing a lot of .556 around. Honestly, I never expect to use the stuff past sighting in. Its why I specified cheap and adequate. Still, better to have a couple of boxes than not.
FQ13

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

rat31465

• Jack of all Trades, Master of none.
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 07:58:05 AM »
The rule of thumb that I was always told about Slugs and Chokes was that anything tighter than Modified was strictly a big no no.

I have personally seen a Rem 870 screw in Full choke which split after someone fired slugs through it....and have had experienced shotgunners from states that only allow slugs for deer who say a slug fired through a fixed choke gun tighter than Modified will open up the barrell and ruin the choke.
"Get yourself a Glock and Lose that Nickle Plated Sissy Pistol."
Sam Gerard

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:33:40 AM »

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 08:34:40 AM »
The "Rifling" on a slug isn't to impart spin it's so the soft lead slug will swage down through a tight choke.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 09:01:46 AM »
I have had good luck with these.  Shot both targets and hogs with them out of an 870 with cylinder choke.

FEDERAL PART NUMBER # LE127RS

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 09:25:25 AM »
The "Rifling" on a slug isn't to impart spin it's so the soft lead slug will swage down through a tight choke.

True. At least that was, (is), the intended purpose. It isn't really necessary however because the soft lead skirt on a Forester type slug is so thin you can push them through a full choke with just a cleaning rod. I took one apart and tried it once. It took some effort, but I was able to do it with a cheap 3 piece Outers Aluminum rod.  Bill T.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 05:11:18 PM »
I use the Breneke KO's, they say right on the box for rifled or smooth barrels and are at least "minute of pie plate" - I like that so I think I'll use it as well. Most of my SD shotguns only have a bead but the one I have with ghost rings is actually very accurate with those slugs. My latest favorite SD shotgun load is the Centurian load, I got them from cheaper than dirt. It's one .650 ball with I think six #1 buck balls around it. I've tried it out to 50yds and the big ball is always pretty well near center mass on a standard IDPA type target with at least 4 of the six baby balls on target every time, usually with about a 12"-15" spread.   
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

GI Joe

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 04:38:39 AM »
1. Remington Sluggers 2 3/4"
2. Winchester Super X

In my 870 smoothbore the Remingtons will shoot approx 3" at 100 yards

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk