Author Topic: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle  (Read 38658 times)

Whit Spurzon

• Forum Member
    • Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:54:37 PM »
The minute I found out about the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle I wanted one.  Reading the reviews and seeing the video here pretty much sealed the deal and I ordered one.  Today it arrived!  :D

I LIKE IT!!!

It has a confidence inspiring heft to it.  So many new guns with synthetic stocks and parts lack that.  The Ruger Gunsite Scout feels like it is up to hard use in tough conditions.  There is also an underlying level of refinement to that ruggedness that is also pleasing to the eye. 

Both the trigger and the sights were better than I expected.  I believe both will contribute favorably to its accuracy potential.  The bolt is easily run quickly and I expect it will get better with use.

I ran a variety of ammo through the action from the magazine.  The 173 gr cast  Lyman 311041 bullet loads would engrave slightly upon feeding while all others including the smaller 120 grain Lyman 311008 cast bullet cycled beautifully. 

My goal is to develop a variety of loads to take advantage of this versatile cartridge.   Everything from subsonic cast bullet Grouse Getter loads on up to big critter thumpers that I've done with my 30-30 Leverguns.  It's nice to be able to harvest Grouse with your rifle and still have something left to eat.  The reduced report doesn't put every critter for miles on high alert either.  With rimfire like recoil it makes for an excellent round to introduce new shooters to centerfire rifles.

Ruger is marketing this rifle as "The one rifle to have if you could only have one."  I intend to test that in the coming weeks and months on targets, long range steel and critters from Grouse to Elk.  We'll see how it plays out - but I'm not betting against it...

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:04:41 AM »
Outstanding!

Hope you enjoy it, and I'm sure there are a good many folks (along with myself) on here that anxiously await a detailed shooting report.

Good shooting!

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

BikerRN

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:56:45 AM »
Nice!

Mine should be here any day now.

I've got 500 rounds loaded up and ready to go.

Biker

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:13:52 AM »
I soooooo much envy you!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Whit Spurzon

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:13:07 AM »
A visit to the range is high on my priority list.  I have a number of loads to test on paper and over the chronograph.  I'm hoping a few of those will show promise and the "work"  ;) of dialing them in can begin in earnest.  Once I have it sighted in I'll take it on a couple of long walks to get an impression of its field-ability.  My expectations are high.

I ordered a couple of 5 round magazines from Ruger mainly because I prefer the aesthetic of the shorter magazine.  I've not found the pocket sized 10 round magazine to be a detriment to its portability or handiness though.  10 rounds of 308 can cure a lot of ills and its spec makes sense in a ready to go - out of the box - 'do all' rifle.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:41:50 AM »

breezzer99

• Active Forum Member
  • trust your finger it says I twitch you die
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »
nice

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:30:09 AM »
Iz ya thunkin about a scope or optics?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Whit Spurzon

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »
Iz ya thunkin about a scope or optics?

For now my plans are to test the iron sights.  I will probably use a traditionally mounted scope for final load development but in the field I really prefer iron sights.

I scouted a Marlin 336 a while back.

It worked well, especially on paper

100 yards, 170 gr Hornady over a Max Charge of Varget. 

So far my 50 year old eyes are good enough to avoid needing glass so I choose the lighter weight option on rifles I pack in the field.

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 01:34:28 PM »
Till the storms stop I'm gonna have to put this "must buy" on the back burner.  But it is on my list.
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 06:18:16 PM »
Very Nice Whit, and thank you for the report and pics.

It seems like a very all purpose rifle.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk