Author Topic: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle  (Read 38602 times)

Whit Spurzon

• Forum Member
    • Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »
Second trip to the range with my GSR and I must say, I like it even better.  ;D

This time I took it to the big range as I was confident that I'd be on paper.  I have not made any adjustments to the sights and this rifle is pretty much zero'd at 50 meters with most loads I put through it.

Jacketed bullet loads:

165 grain Hornady SP Interlock over Varget (two grains below max).  Varget has been a good powder for me but I didn't expect it to do as well in this short barreled rifle.  Book for this powder at MAX estimates 2773 fps out of a 24" barrel.  I'm over 2400 fps with 2 grains left to go.  This load is also proving to be very accurate.

50 meters, iron sights, three shots, ~ 1/2" c-t-c

The same bullet with IMR 3031 did ok but averaged about 50 fps slower with a load a bit closer to the published Max.

150 grain FMJ, pulled surplus bullets with IMR 3031, 1.5 grains below published max approached 2600 fps and showed very promising accuracy.

It doesn't appear this rifle is either bullet weight or powder sensitive with jacketed bullets.  Yet another unexpected upside.

Cast bullets:

120 grain Lyman 311008 plain base.  Last time out this bullet did not impress.  This time it produced the second best groups of the day.  I'm driving it a little over 1250 fps with Bullseye powder.  Better still this load prints nearly identically to the jacketed bullet loads at 50 yards.

The Lee C309-113 F again showed promise.  I'll adjust the charges to try to get it subsonic and try a different powder to push it up over 1600 fps and see how it does.

The 173 grain Lyman 311041 improved this time out too.  5 grains of Bullseye pushes this bullet 903 fps (avg) and it 1" accurate at 50 yards with the iron sights.  The POI is between 1-2" lower than POA with the Jacketed Bullet 50 yard zero.  I shot this plain based (no gas check) and seated it deeper than the Lyman Manual suggests.  OAL = 2.550"  At that length it seems to feed a little better.

Another load using Unique drove this bullet (with a gas check) to almost 1400 fps shot close to point of aim of the Jacketed loads at 50 yards but the group size approached 2".  The next trip out I think I'll try to drive it faster and see if it improves.

All and all a good trip and the GSR exceeded my expectations.  Plenty to build on and tweak.  I'm getting more familiar with it and the sights which helps too.  I REALLY like that the cast loads and the Jacketed loads print close at 50 yards with the same zero.  This will make it much more useful in the field.  My plan is to tweak the loads and visit the range once again before taking it out in the woods for some field testing.  So far I'm VERY happy.

ECVMatt

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 09:05:33 PM »
I am very excited about this rifle. Trigger is very good, action is smooth, and fit and finish are great. My dealer had two, so I picked the one I wanted. I also ordered some C-Products 5 round mags and they work great. They fit tight, no rattle and feed great with some dummy rounds I made up. No scope yet, I am going to play with the irons for a while.

I have some desert time scheduled for next week so I will post a further report then. I am pretty happy right now though.

I will post some pictures as soon as I get the children to bed.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
nice, but I would prefer a semi auto in that configuration.  8)
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 09:57:32 AM »
nice, but I would prefer a semi auto in that configuration.  8)

The FNAR if the Mags weren't so darn expensive   :-[

dipisc

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 12:47:08 PM »
Hi;

Just a question on shooting and cleaning. I was taught not to clean a rifle after you have sighted it in and are about to Qualify or compete with it within the next few days. The reason for this is that after firing and zeroing the weapon in the lands and grooves are "filled" in and your first shot at Qual/competion should be the same as your last shot in zeroing it in.

Other peoples rule of thought does not believe in this.

Have you tried this or not and if you did what was the results?

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:44:07 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 01:20:40 PM »
Yes, I have done this.
The result was qualifying expert 3 years in a row.

Whit Spurzon

• Forum Member
    • Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
Some guns are more susceptible than others.  I'll typically foul the bore just before I leave for a hunting trip and check zero once I arrive at my destination (if possible).

hicksdp

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle- Optics suggestions?
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 06:44:09 AM »
My wife saw the Scout rifle on Shooting Gallery and said, "I like that, you ought to get one." Am I a lucky guy or what? 
Does anyone have a suggestion for optics?  I live in rural Alabama, where shots are typically 100 yards or less, but we do have some large beanfields.  I'm leaning toward an EER scope mounted up front. Does anyone have any experience with 1.25X4 or similar scopes?
Thanks,
david

BikerRN

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 01:05:12 PM »
David,

Being that your shots are close range, 150 yards or less, you may want to look in to a Red Dot for fast sight acquisition.

I realize you didn't ask about red dots, but I just thought I'd throw that out there. I sight my AR in at 200 Yards using a red dot, and find that it's great out to about 250 Yards or so. Any longer than that and I'll start looking at magnification. I'm putting this on my Scout Rifle:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-trophy-1x32-riflescope-730132p.html

Biker

hicksdp

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Biker, Thanks for the suggestion.  I have RMR's and reflex sights on my AR's, so red dots may be an option.  Cooper's original scout rifle concept included EER scopes (perhaps a quality red dot wasn't available at the time), so I wondered how that might enhance the rifle.  Perhaps that type scope would have some advantage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk