Author Topic: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle  (Read 38676 times)

BikerRN

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 02:41:21 PM »
David,

I talked with Andy Langlois, at Scoutrifle.org and he reports that the red dots make the Scout Rifle the cat's meow. I too use a red dot on my AR, and have the most time shooting that way. Thus, I'm finding that keeping things the same between my defensive rifle and my practical rifle makes sense.

Biker

Whit Spurzon

• Forum Member
    • Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »
I like it when the postman leaves magazines in my mailbox!

Now that looks way better-er to me.

Pondering whether to trade the 10 for another five. Still need to find a good carry pouch for them.

It is simpler for me to do "Tac Reloads" with the fives as it easier to manipulate both mags with one hand. There is a video of a Gunsite instructor demonstrating a tac reload with her "weapon" side hand. I'm finding it easier to load with my "reaction" side hand even when the rifle is shouldered.

The shorter mags seem to make it a little easier doing "transition" drills - Rifle (w/2 point sling) to handgun. Probably only useful during a zombie apocalypse after running the rifle dry but hey, might as well test these things in advance...

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 06:28:50 PM »
Whit,
I have been thinking about this rifle since it was announced and finally got a chance to look at one today. And I was impressed. I'm not a rifle aficionado so I don't readily appreciate all the subtleties and nuances, but this rifle felt like it was made for me when I picked it up. I have talked to sales reps in a couple of gun stores and they tell me these rifles are not lasting long on the shelf. I think Ruger hit a home run with this rifle.

Best of luck with the GSR!

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 06:41:23 PM »
IMHO, the mags look a little chincy,....Great reviews on the rifle,...but the mags look bargain. For the price, one would expect a baseplate, not folded and lipped over.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

ECVMatt

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 08:15:44 PM »

Whit Spurzon

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 10:13:48 PM »
Thanks for the link EVCMatt.  Those look like the best option so far.  Not crazy about velcro but at least they're made to fit.

TW:  The Mags are not what I would describe as "chincy."  Very robust, a bit heavy really and that floor plate is removable.  They still cost a ransom... at least they're available...

BAC

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 11:05:50 AM »
According to a post by Sheriff Jim Wilson on Facebook, Ruger is about to announce a left-handed version of the Gunsite Scout rifle.  Hey, I'm left-handed!

ECVMatt

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 10:03:59 PM »
Here it is...

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 05:51:25 AM »
Here it is...

I don't like it....they put the bolt handle on the wrong side......
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

Whit Spurzon

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
I don't have any video footage of actually shooting the rifle yet.  I have carried it in the field and done some cast bullet plinking with it, good fun.  

Being lighter and more compact it carries better than my other bolt guns - 1903A3/Remington 700BDL/ CZ - not quite as well as a  levergun but good as far as bolts go.  I've carried it in my hands, on a sling and in a Kifaru Gunbearer.  I'm liking the safety better than I initially did and have been able to operate it with gloves on.  The sights are a little coarse but still capable of good iron sight field precision.  At first I didn't really like the soft rubber butt plate cap due to its stickiness on clothing but as I practiced I found it to be less of an issue and it actually helps quite a bit when running the bolt quickly.

I have more loads to test.  Varget seems to be the powder that gets the best accuracy and velocity with jacketed bullets.  So far with Cast bullets I've had the best luck with Bullseye and Unique at 800 to 1500 fps.  I have some 4759 that I'll try with some heavier cast bullets as it has been a good performer in many other rifles/calibers I've tried it in.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk