Author Topic: Polish AK-47 Model 1960  (Read 13301 times)

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Polish AK-47 Model 1960
« on: February 04, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »
Anybody know anything about the Polish AK-47 Model 1960?? I've seen a couple at
different gun stores around my area. They seem nice, though kinda pricey for an
AK. Any information would be appreciated! I'm looking to add an AK to my
collection, but I'm not sure it's worth the money or if I'd be better served by
a cheaper wasr-10.

Thanks,
Guns
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

tombogan03884

Re: Polish AK-47 Model 1960
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »
IIRC, Milled receivers, of high quality, heavier than standard but more durable in a semi auto.

WIshooter

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:30:55 PM »
Don't know much about this gun but,
You may also want to check out the interarms AKs.  Atlantic has them in stock for about 550.  Chrome barrel, park finish, lifetime warranty.  I think these would be a step up from a wasr, but a gun you could still feel ok about beating up on a bit.  If you are going to have an Kalashnikov I think you should be willing to beat it like it owes you money.

Saiga is always an option if you are going for unconventional setup anyway ( changing out furniture and going with rails and such)

Edit to say: don't confuse interarms with IO.  The interarms rifles are fairly new to the market, but seem to have some positive feedback from owners.  They are different companies.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 03:36:05 AM »

These are a pair of 1960 Polish Milled Receiver AK-47 Models I picked up last year with the bayonets they come with. Both run like scalded dogs. As you can see mine have one piece wood furniture instead of the laminated stocks most of them come with now. Nothing wrong with the laminated wood, I just prefered the look of the solid wood. Both are put together very well, but they will not accept a "standard" model AK-47 bayonet. Both of mine came with the proper bayonet, minus the cleaning rods, which I added later.

The milled receiver models have a bit more "solidness" to them, and the mag wells fit most all magazines nice and tight with very little wobble. Overall I would rate the quality very high compared to most models. In fact I would say these are slightly better than my 2 Yugo Underfolders, although the Yugos are slightly heavier in spite of having stamped receivers. The Yugo Underfolder models are made with very heavy gage metal in the receivers.

I know a lot of people bad mouth Century Arms, but I have several Century built AK's, and every one of them has been a good performer. If you're going to buy try to pick the gun out yourself rather than buying sight unseen. If that is not possible then be sure the outfit you buy from has a good return policy if you are unsatisfied for any reason. I bought these 2 from J&G Sales up in Prescott, Arizona. They are good to deal with and have recently lowered the price on these. If your looking for a nice, solid AK-47 and don't want to break the bank, these are not a bad choice. I don't know how much longer milled receiver AK-47's are going to be around at a fair price. Much like SKS models, the price will head upward in time.  Bill T.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 03:59:53 AM »
IIRC the milled stuff, they ended up removing about 85% of the premachined weight on them.  It was like 12 or 13 lbs removed.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:23:02 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 10:30:05 AM »
Also it was found the stamped receiver proved to be more rugged in full automatic fire. Many of the milled receiver guns developed cracks in heavy full auto fire.  Bill T.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »
Also it was found the stamped receiver proved to be more rugged in full automatic fire. Many of the milled receiver guns developed cracks in heavy full auto fire.  Bill T.

Correct, The sheet metal allows flexing that releases the stress's that cause cracks in milled receivers.
The problem doesn't occur in semi auto guns.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 05:42:17 PM »
You will not be better served by getting the "cheaper" WASR. Invest in a few more bucks, for the Polish, or even a new Saiga is a solid choice.

Made in Izhmash, Russia, just change the stock. (You can even find "wood" for it.)   It only takes Saiga Mags, but can be converted to take standard AK mags with a tad bit of filing to the mag catch.

Mine shoots great, very solid, and combat AK accurate, especially at ranges less than 75yds.

My son loves it.

Everyone should consider an AK. ::)

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 06:09:33 PM »
Everyone should consider an MANY AK's.

I corrected your typo.   ;D    Bill T.

breezzer99

• Active Forum Member
  • trust your finger it says I twitch you die
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »
lol I was never a AK guy till now. My chomper is coming along with strides. Side mount ordered stock for grip pistol grip. I may even do a paint job and write chomper on the side.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk