Author Topic: Anyone Had Cyst Surgery ?  (Read 15745 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Anyone Had Cyst Surgery ?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 10:22:57 AM »
a positive mindset will decrease pain and speed healing.
Another thought, this would be a good time to practice self defense drills as the pain in your back will act as a handicap similar to an injury. (Just be careful about breaking it open or popping stitches )

Isn't that what John Rambo does.....Ignore pain?    ;D    No stiches, just a big hole. Right now I'll take a pass on running from room to room, "slicing the pie".   ;D    Bill T.   

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 10:24:24 AM »
Why do we always end up with this crap on our ass or back  :'(

I'm just glad it's not on my face, or you know what!  :o   Bill T.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 10:29:05 AM »
Isn't that what John Rambo does.....Ignore pain?    ;D    No stiches, just a big hole. Right now I'll take a pass on running from room to room, "slicing the pie".   ;D    Bill T.   

At least in #3 he reminded Col. Trautman that that is what the Col. had taught them.  However, when the Col. asked if it worked Rambo said "not really"  :'(  Speaking of which - You might want to consider the burning gunpowder trick.  On a wound that size I would suggest a .50 BMG  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 10:29:45 AM »
Not so much "ignoring it" but distract yourself from it.
Last summer, before they got my Heart meds right, I was having a lot of trouble with chest pains, and stomache upset.
One night at work everything I touched either went wrong or broke, I got so PO'ed that I fired a (small ) allen wrench (bent ) across the shop, and was cussing a blue streak. I realized later that it was the best I had felt in a month.   ;D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 10:44:20 AM »
Not so much "ignoring it" but distract yourself from it.

I know what your saying. Even BS'ing with you guys keeps my mind off of it. I got a new movie to watch today, "Unstoppable", so that will keep me occupied for a while. Then there's the 2,500, .223 cases I've got that need prepping. But I'm not in that much pain!   ;D    Bill T.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:02:02 PM »

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 12:02:38 PM »
I know I haven't been posting, but dang, you guys are falling apart.

Don't dismiss the wound vac therapy. They work great. They provide much faster healing time. We use them all the time at work with great success. Since you are an active guy I'm not sure lugging a vac pump around would be a good option for you but there are portable versions.

It sucks that you have a hole in your back but it will heal. It will take time. The doctors and nurses should have done a better job explaining the procedure and reviewing your discharge instructions. They forgot the "informed" part of "informed consent".

Since you had an infection the wound was left open. The source of the infection is gone so you shouldn't need antibiotics. If they had closed the wound there could have been some residual infection trapped in the wound and that would make things much worse. The best advice I have is to not overdo it with dressings. Stay away from antibiotic creams or anything else. For a dressing you can do a wet to dry dressing. Get some kerlex or other type of gauze, moisten it with normal saline, gently pack it in the wound, cover with dry 4x4 gauze and tape it in place. Change it 2-3 times/day. Keeping the wound bed moist (not soaked) will help it heal. It will heal from the inside out. You will notice granulation tissue forming in the wound bed and the wound edges healing in. You will probably have a big dimple and a nasty scar, but hey, you're old and married, no chicks are going to be checking you out anyway.  ;)

Good luck.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 12:14:55 PM »
Thanks 1911. How long before you think it will dry up enough so it won't require a bandage? I'm surprised it isn't leaking more than it is, considering how large of a wound it is.  Bill T.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »
Everyone heals at their own rate. It is going to take a while, maybe a month, maybe longer. No good answer on that. Nutrition plays a big part in wound healing. Just eat healthy, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

You shouldn't have a lot of drainage either. When you change the dressing you may notice some serous drainage (pale yellow) or a little bit of blood on the packing that you take out. That is ok and should decrease over time. If the gauze sticks when you are taking it out, just moisten it with some more saline and let sit for a few minutes before taking the packing out. Should help decrease any bleeding also. Let the doctor know if there is a lot of drainage, the drainage is foul smelling or purulent, or if the skin around the wound becomes red or inflamed. That could mean that the wound is becoming infected.

Keep doing the wet to dry dressings until a good bed of granulation tissue develops. You will notice the change. After that just cover with some dry gauze until you feel comfortable going without anything.

And remember, the best way to prevent the spread of infection is through proper hand washing.  ;D
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 12:37:11 PM »
Couple of things.

1. My Dad had a melanoma removed from his back, the wound was the size of your fist - deep as well as tall and wide. It did heal over, but that was a LONG time ago and I have no idea what he did - different medicine back then too.

2. That big of an open wound will probably drain for a few days, maybe a week? I however am not a doctor, although I did play one with Suzie when I was a kid!  ;)

3. Get a second - or third - opinion, get your personal physician involved. The "no antibiotics" thing on an open wound bothers me a bit, that doesn't sound normal. However, now that the cutter has had his say, most other doctors probably won't interfere. But I would ask why no antibiotics and demand an reasonable answer.

4. Always always always!!!!! take control of your medical procedures. To the doctors, you are another stat to be dealt with clinically and efficiently. NO one - and I mean no one - will be looking out for you but you (OK, and Melanie in this case). Ask questions, probe the answers, look online, get the facts, regardless of how minor or trivial the procedure looks. Be a pest to the doctors so they will answer you just to get rid of you.

It is a proven fact that people who approach medicine as I suggested in #4 do far better than those who put their lives in their doctor's hands.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »
Just asked the wife, she says its no big deal, its often done by GP, in the office. 

She said some stuff about how if its infected prior to removal it can be very bad and can often end in removing alot more of the surround tissues.

I'm sure there are lots of videos on youtube.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk