Author Topic: The 10mm  (Read 17399 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
Re: The 10mm
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 09:54:45 AM »
My first 1911 was a 10mm.  I traded it off, one of the few guns I have ever parted with, because 10mm is a very difficult round to purchase in this region.  It is a round that has not gained the popularity to get shops, mom & pop and big box alike, to stock.  And since I dislike relying on mail order, I decided to go .45 acp.

In my opinion the 10mm is a better round than the .40S&W, but that is not how the popular market views it.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
I was going to ask bafsu92 how much but then he already answered. Wow, you made out like a bandit. I do have a G21SF so I may need to research the price since they both utilize the same lower on a Glock.
I haven't seen the 6.5" listed anywhere in a while but Lone Wolf has 5.5" ported 10mm for $125. here you go: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=944&CAT=236
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 11:18:07 AM »
I was told that the 10mm was developed as the first incarnation of the .40. The FBI didn't like the muzzle flash and recoil so they then developed the .40. Good story anyway.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »
I was told that the 10mm was developed as the first incarnation of the .40. The FBI didn't like the muzzle flash and recoil so they then developed the .40. Good story anyway.

I can't say I have heard it from anyone I would quote in a research paper, but I have heard that the move from .38 caliber revolvers of all power factors to the 10mm was too much of a recoil jump for law enforcement.  This was the reason the 10mm was down graded to the .40 S&W.

I don't know how factual it is, but the history of the .38 within law enforcement and the heavy reliance on .40 S&W by law enforcement makes me say, as Arsenio Hall would say, go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  ::)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 01:15:01 PM »

Story I got was that after the FBI was beat up in Miami by two guys who where hit multiple times with 9mm rounds but kept fighting and killed a few agents, the FBI did a study that resulted in most of the ballistic requirements you see quoted.

At least 10 inches of penetration in ballistic gelatin, no more that 12 inches and certain expansion characteristics.

Both of these were to be measured after penetrating several different medium including layers of denim and dry wall.

It was found that all this could be met by the 10mm round and a downloaded version at that.

S&W and another company, which I can't recall, realized that the same performance could be duplicated in a smaller .40 cartridge that would use the same size frame as a 9mm pistol. 

Thus was born the .40 S&W.    So the story I read goes....
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 04:43:01 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »
The truth of the Miami shoot out was that most of the feds shot like crap against guys wearing body armor and then ran out of ammo the fatal shots to both BG's were delivered by the same agent, but since the FBI is never wrong they blamed their crap performance on gear instead of poor prep (one agent did not even have his eye glasses with him , and another dropped his weapon trying to get out of the car ). The 10 MM was developed to meet the requirements dreamed up to cover piss poor performance but then it was discovered that women agents and smaller "men" could not handle the recoil, so all the fancy research got sh!tcanned and the caliber got down loaded.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 02:48:46 PM »
You know the .40 is a short 10mm  Some have said the 10mm  is the be all and end all of combat pistol cartridges. I had a chance to buy one , but I backed out . I f you dont hand load it its expensive. Ballistics are impressive.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

tombogan03884

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 11:59:46 PM »
I've never had a chance to shoot one, what I love about it is that it is the semi auto version of the .357 Mag.
A cartridge that, after more than 100 years, gives to the semi auto the reliable, practical, hunting utility the revolver has enjoyed for decades.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 07:00:51 AM »
I've never had a chance to shoot one, what I love about it is that it is the semi auto version of the .357 Mag.
A cartridge that, after more than 100 years, gives to the semi auto the reliable, practical, hunting utility the revolver has enjoyed for decades.
Exactly correct. I believe it's the Cor-Bon 130 or 135gr 10mm that is almost exactly ballistically equivalent to the 125gr .357mag that is considered one of if not the the best man stopping rounds. Most people use the heavier 10mm loads 155-185gr, but it's the lighter load that really shines. Really though up until the last few years the 158gr .357 was the most popular load in that caliber as well.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1072
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »
The only 10mm I've shot was a Colt Delta Elite 1911. Great shooting cartridge and gun. Very accurate and powerful round.

I've always thought of the 10mm as being to the semi-auto world what the .41 magnum is to the revolver world.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk