Author Topic: The Dogs Of War. Photos Of Our Canine Soldiers  (Read 9853 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Dogs Of War. Photos Of Our Canine Soldiers
« on: May 08, 2011, 08:47:58 AM »
Stories are coming out of a U.S. Service dog that was part of the team involved in the raid on UBL's compound.

Although we may never know,....I hope the dog involved got in one good bite, or made UBL crap himself, or both.

Great Link with more photos here of Military Dogs and their handlers.

and yes they jump out of airplanes....

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/05/04/war_dog?page=0,0

more pics at link.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
Re: The Dogs Of War. Photos Of Our Canine Soldiers
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »

If I peeked out of my hidey hole and saw a dog like this and this close, I would crap myself for sure!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 04:22:49 PM »
Some of these dogs are said to have titanium fangs that can rip through body armor. I'll believe it when I see it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 05:20:43 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog
Anti-tank dogs (Russian: собаки-истребители танков or противотанковые собаки; German: Panzerabwehrhunde or Hundeminen, "dog-mines") were dogs taught to carry explosives to tanks, armored vehicles and other military targets. They were intensively trained by the Soviet and Russian military forces between 1930 and 1996 and used in 1941–1942 against German tanks in World War II. Although the original dog training routine was to leave the bomb and retreat so that the bomb would be detonated by the timer, this routine failed and was replaced by an impact detonation procedure which killed the dog in the process. The U.S. military trained anti-tank dogs in 1943 for use against fortifications, but never deployed them. Dogs strapped with explosives were unsuccessfully used by Iraqi insurgents in 2005.

Now they use something with less intelligence - fanatical Muslims.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »
Either way, I've got something new to threaten mine with. Forget "the Folded newspaper of Death". If she doesn't stop barking and hurling herself against the glass doors, I can threaten her with halo jumps or being a bomb delivery system ;D
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:31:20 AM »

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 07:47:29 PM »
http://gizmodo.com/#!5798978/navy-seal-dogs-have-titanium-fangs

Navy SEAL Dogs Have TITANIUM FANGS (Updated)

Matt Buchanan — Navy SEAL dogs are badasses, yes. But did you know some of them have titanium fangs, designed to rip through enemy protective armor?

That titanium grill runs $2,000 per tooth. The end result, US military dog trainer Alex Dunbar tells The Daily, is that being bitten is "like being stabbed four times at once with a bone crusher." Hard. Core.

Update: All is not what it seems! Danger Room counters The Daily, speaking Jeff Franklin of Cobra Canine.

"They're not as stable as a regular tooth would be, and they're much more likely to come out" during a biting.

The only reason to have titanium teeth? Medical reasons, he says, like "if a dog breaks a tooth… it's the same as a crown for a human."

Um, how about lasers, then? [The Daily via Peter Hahaha]

lol at lasers
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 01:10:04 AM »

Dogs name is Cara.  Her and her handler work for FEMA.  Jump was at 30,100', she was on oxygen for the 20min plane ride to attitude and jumped without o2.  She was fine on the ground and has made several jump.  I need to upload some of the dogs I've worked with latter.

CD
Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 01:20:20 AM »
FEMA huh? Since when did they need to make HALOS? Its got to be kind of tough on the blue tarps. Care to give us some context on this CD? Because otherwise, I'm about to get out the tinfoil and ask why a civilian disaster relief agency needs this kind of capability. HALOS with attack dogs? I'm not sure many tornados or hurricanes require that sort of response.
FQ13 who is going to go all Mulder on you here. ;D

Combat Diver

• De Oppresso Liber
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 04:22:26 AM »
The jumper works for FEMA but this was not a FEMA jump.  My source (other SF professional) developed the harness for the dog for the jump.  The photo is from the WFFC circa August 2004.  Here's another shot of Cara.

another MFF jump/different dog

and some dogs that I worked with in Iraq in 08'

CD
Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09,15 & 16' Afghanistan: 09,10,11,14 & 17'

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 04:32:21 AM »
Any reason for the Belgians? Are they much better than the Alsatians or just lighter? Just curious.
FQ13 who notes you still didn't answer my question. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk