Author Topic: FN FS2000 Comments  (Read 7615 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
FN FS2000 Comments
« on: March 15, 2008, 06:54:21 PM »
Any owners out there with anything to say about the FN FS2000?  I'm thinking of buying one.  Also...I understand it is preferable to get an early model with the early trigger group as it is more durable???
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: FN FS2000 Comments
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 08:53:14 PM »
I have one.  Poor trigger, as with any bullpup.  I haven't heard anything about early trigger groups.  The front handhold is poor.  It's a cool gadget, but if I could have only one 223, this wouldn't be it.  Fully ambi, with gentle forward eject.  Uses standard AR magazines.  pulling the magazines is a push pull affair, as you push the side of your hand against the button while grabbing the magazine with your fingers before pulling it out;  I like this.  I mounted a x3 scope, and that worked fine.  Chamber check flap is weird and even open it's hard to check the chamber (or I haven't figured the trick).  I love the simple breakdown and cleaning.

One of the few bullpups usable by a lefty (the Steyr Aug works with a conversion kit), which is why I bought it.  Thing is very short, with a 18 inch barrel, and up against the minimum total length limit.
Overload in CO
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 08:55:48 AM »
Thanks for the information.  I'm thinking about running back to the gun show today....I've got a couple of AR's and thought this would be a cool looking gadget...I love my PS-90...but that's another story.

Thanks,
Ken

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 03:59:44 PM »
If you like the PS90, I think you'd like this too.
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »
UPDATE:
I've had the FS2000 out at the range twice since my last msg, and both times I had major problems.

The first time a round got jammed in the chamber, and we had to muscle it out.

Since that time, it's had feed problems, not stripping a new round off the top of the mag after firing.

The second time, I inserted a post-ban Bushmaster 10rd magazine, which got jammed in the feed well.  Only got it out by destroying the magazine (seems you can't break it down as there's a huge metal piece just inside the floor plate.)

Note to users: refrain from using 10 round magazines, as they're too short to get a grip on to remove.

I'd like a gunsmith to give it a once over or even send it back to FN for service, but not sure how to.  I picked up some new PMAGs.  Gonna try them and see if the feed problem persists.

Overload in Colorado

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:09:31 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 08:18:07 PM »
Dang.  Don't like hearing that. 

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 11:06:47 AM »
Overload,
I'm thinking about this carbine, but your experiences give me pause. What is your impression of it now, almost one year hence?

-FullAuto

UPDATE:
I've had the FS2000 out at the range twice since my last msg, and both times I had major problems.

The first time a round got jammed in the chamber, and we had to muscle it out.

Since that time, it's had feed problems, not stripping a new round off the top of the mag after firing.

The second time, I inserted a post-ban Bushmaster 10rd magazine, which got jammed in the feed well.  Only got it out by destroying the magazine (seems you can't break it down as there's a huge metal piece just inside the floor plate.)

Note to users: refrain from using 10 round magazines, as they're too short to get a grip on to remove.

I'd like a gunsmith to give it a once over or even send it back to FN for service, but not sure how to.  I picked up some new PMAGs.  Gonna try them and see if the feed problem persists.

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 09:52:22 PM »
Glad you brought this back up.  This rifle was the reason I made my 'Parts is Parts?' post SAT night.  I'm thinking it's easier to diagnose and fix problems with common platforms than with unique models, as so many people use them that all faults have shown up so there's a large body of knowledge about them.  I'd like to to take the FS2000 to an Appleseed.  Heck, I just want it to be reliable.  Fixing guns is harder than most items due to shipping regulations, size and value.

Seems it may be a mag problem.  I saw at SHOT this year that Magpul is introducing EMags, and specifically mention that their regular PMags don't work with the FS2000, which is what I tried to use.  Silly me, I thought any ar15 magazines would work.  Going to try and make it to the range soon to try out regular milsurp mags (and the one that came in the box with the FN).

On this week's Michael Bane Blog Podcast, he mentioned the FS2000, and said he'd have a review this week.  I think he's pitting it against the Steyr AUG.

More from me about this soon,

Overload in Colorado

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 04:03:14 PM »
Thanks for the follow up, Overload. And I think you have very good point about common platforms too....I'll be interested to hear your update when you get to it.

Glad you brought this back up.  This rifle was the reason I made my 'Parts is Parts?' post SAT night.  I'm thinking it's easier to diagnose and fix problems with common platforms than with unique models, as so many people use them that all faults have shown up so there's a large body of knowledge about them.  I'd like to to take the FS2000 to an Appleseed.  Heck, I just want it to be reliable.  Fixing guns is harder than most items due to shipping regulations, size and value.

Seems it may be a mag problem.  I saw at SHOT this year that Magpul is introducing EMags, and specifically mention that their regular PMags don't work with the FS2000, which is what I tried to use.  Silly me, I thought any ar15 magazines would work.  Going to try and make it to the range soon to try out regular milsurp mags (and the one that came in the box with the FN).

On this week's Michael Bane Blog Podcast, he mentioned the FS2000, and said he'd have a review this week.  I think he's pitting it against the Steyr AUG.

More from me about this soon,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk