Author Topic: Remington NPSS .22 Range Report - The sequel!  (Read 11825 times)

Badgersmilk

Remington NPSS .22 Range Report - The sequel!
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:27:57 PM »
One of those times part 2 is WAAAAAYYY better than the original!   ;D ;D ;D

Just got back, dripping with sweat, IT'S FREAKIN HOT/HUMID OUT!!!  Hi again DNR guy!

Full report after a shower and another beer!

[Teaser] - there MAY be a dead animal involved!   ;)

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Remington NPSS .22 Range Report... The sequal!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:23:02 PM »
Ohhhhhh........ it's finally here.  ;D
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

Badgersmilk

Re: Remington NPSS .22 Range Report... The sequal!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:35:02 PM »
Alright, let me start with.  It's 10 degress hotter than hell out there, and the humidity is so thick the scope, rangefinder, & camera lenses ALL fogged completely over.  BLAAAHH!  On top this, I've got around 30 ant bites all over my feet and legs.  You know how hard it is to shoot when an ant bites right on top your second tow???   :o

BUT, I set the target at exactly 30 yards (per Bushnell Elite 1500 rangefinder if your wondering).  Starting at this range it took several shots to get on target.  Once there, all my problems were over!  Except the fore mentioned heat and freakin ANTS!!!   :'(

Started with the bigger target and worked my way down of course.  As I'm about to move from middle to little target...  I SEE A CROW!!!   ;D  Guestimateing 50 yards, on a Palmetto tree limb, sitting nice and still...  I look around..  Why not?  I think it's legal.  ;)  Use a little KY windage, and DEAD CROW!!!  FIRST KILL!  No longer a virgin rifle!   Ahhhhhhhhh!  Hope it was as fun for the rifle as it was me!    :)

And like it was a trap or something!  I hear a truck coming down the road.  DNR!  Stopped and talked to him.  Told him about posting this on the net.  So, Hi DNR guy!  If your reading this.  Didn't tell you about the crow did I?   ;D  I checked.  It IS legal.  ;D

So back to the target.  Feeling pretty confident, I plinked at the bigger one again from about 50 yards while leaning against a pole.  You can see where it hit on the right side.  It was at a pretty good angle, so barely even chipped the paint.  Then, thinking about what Tom had said about the tape stressing the scope I put the gun back into the rest, shot the small target once.  DING!  Unwrapped the tape off the scope, turned the objective all around and back, then turned the magnification up and down, and took the second shot.  DING!  Wrapped the scope back up, played with the adjustments again, third shot.  DING!   ;D  NICE!   ;D

So how fast does it shoot?  Mind you I don't know how all the environmentals effect a pellet gun.  Sooooo...  You'll have to account for that.   :-\

I think the .22 "Crossman Premier hollow point" pellets (that I notice fit MUCH tighter in the barrel than do anything Gamo makes) weigh in at 15.43 gr..  The Crossmans are the only pellets I took with me this time.  And they DO fit tight!  Also, when I finally put the Chrony up, I'd already been shooting quite a bit, and the gas cylinder on the gun was warm to the touch...  Don't know how that effects anything either.   :-\

The average of the first string of 10 shots:

Second string of 10:

Third string of 10:

I think this thing may be my favorite new rifle for a little while!  :)  PERFECT combination between it and the 4-12X scope.  HAPPY!   ;D

Oh yeah, the tape does NOTHING to quite the gun further.  I HIGHLY recommend wrapping the barrel with it though.  If only because it makes for a better grip when cocking the gun.  And for this particular guns intended use, disguising it's form is a wise thing.  ;)

What deviation you see on the third target is I'M SURE me!  Not the rifle.  F'n ants were eating me for dinner!  >:(

Bottom line:  Toonces if F'ed!   ;D

Badgersmilk

Re: Remington NPSS .22 Range Report... The sequel!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:01:56 PM »
Correction:  The pellets I was using are apparently 14.3 gr.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Crosman_Premier_22_Cal_14_3_Grains_Hollowpoint_500ct/415

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1085
Re: Remington NPSS .22 Range Report - The sequel!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:53:25 PM »
Nice shootin'. The shot to shot consistency of the velocity is impressive too.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:14:20 AM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:36:20 PM »
Thanks.

According to Pyramid Air this guns shooting 18.18 ft lbs of energy.  http://pyramydair.com/site/articles/formulas/

And on another forum they rate a "tuned" RWS 34 at 15.1 ft lbs..  Which makes me pretty happy because the 34 is IMO the industry standard.  AND the rifle I've always wanted, but heard they were loud.  

I got to play with a 34 at Bass Pro the other week and would say the Remington is easily on par for build quality.  Though about HALF the weight!  The 34's HEAVY!!!  The Gamo's they had there...  Well. I wouldn't compare them to an RWS.

Now they just need to offer this thing WITHOUT the chinese lemon scopes on them!  Crosman / Remington...  Meet Bushnell!!!

Badgersmilk

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:39:32 AM »
Having never been one to "leave well enough alone"...   ;)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 08:52:13 AM »
New project?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Badgersmilk

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 10:45:35 AM »
 Yup.  It needed it IMO.  ;D

Hand polished and lapped with 8,000 grit sand paper to a mirror finish.  :)  Probably NOT "ideal" if following a "hunter / sniper" theme.  But, it's a freakin pellet gun!   :D  

Also changed the profile of the face to perfectly flat (my personal pref. on any gun).  You can see from the remaining paint shadow near the pivot hole I was carefull not to remove material around the top so as not to create side to side slop in it's operation.

Still doing research and studying up before I alter the sear faces or anything.  I'm a mechanical engineer and certified machinist by trade, and have modified triggers on a few dozen guns over time.  So this isn't my first go around, but this kinda thing is always "experimental".  Looking for a crisp 1.5lb break.  

LOTS of people on the net talk about replacing the steel factory trigger blade with plastic!  Makes me wonder what goes through some peoples heads...  ::)   To each their own I guess.  I always thought the biggest problem with Glocks was the plastic trigger myself.  Just feels like...  Junk!  Just my opinion though.  :-\

Badgersmilk

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 11:31:25 AM »
As I'm getting ready to proceed with pictures and fine details on how to do this...  It occured to me that if somebody else does this their liable to shoot themselves somehow, and SUE ME as as result.   >:(  So, here's how the parts go together inside.  Remington even shows this in their "Partslist".  So no liability there.  And your on your own to figure out the rest.  In fact, I recommend you NOT do this as it voids your warranty!  And don't shoot yourselves!  Don't do anything I tell you!  GEESH!   ;D

All back together, cleaned, polished, greased (spring tweeked just a smidge).

Without spending a cent.  I fired it once inside the house (out a window) and it IS louder than a book drop from 3" indoors!  Not loud.  But anyone in the room with you watching tv will notice.   ;)  It broke at 3lbs even.  The only way to get it lower is to change out the spring IMO.  The guy selling the plastic trigger blade is simply ripping people off.  The blade has nothing to do with smoothness, draw weight or much anything else in the performance of this mechanism.  But if you just send people a single little spring for $30...  Most are going to clue in REAL fast that they got took!  

The triggers now SUPER crisp.  Still creeps a little on the second stage, but thats exactly what the adjustment screw is for, and I haven't done anything with it yet.  (Remingtons instructions tell you to turn it the wrong way for adjustment).  The screw is to adjust length of draw.  Not the weight of pull like people on youtube try to say.

Three pounds may be just fine now that its clean and smooth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk