Author Topic: compact semi vs. compact revolver  (Read 11722 times)

tombogan03884

Re: compact semi vs. compact revolver
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 11:28:43 AM »
The biggest thing you overlook is the weight.    A Keltec P3at weighs in at less than 7oz and lays flat in the pocket.  It weights in at about the same as my wallet, (which ain't too fat lately).   I live in a hot climate, and pocket carry is required about 90% of the year.  I have carried a steel snub there is a huge difference in bulk and weight.  Once you try a small pocket auto, you will not go back.    Although Taurus is making that Magnesium snub @13oz.... Hmmmm.   I'll have to look that one over for baggy pants.   ;)

Are they actually making that, I had heard the Idea. The thought of making a pistol out of something as flamable as magnesium SEEMS idiotic.

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »
Umm.. both are good in their own right. I prefer carrying the smallest size Glock 27 (26,33 etc). I have a gun that is about same or small than most small..j-frame type revolvers. I also have 9,10,11, or 12 rounds of .40 capability depending on which mag and/or mag ext's and whether or not I carry one in the pipe. I find my G27 is far more accurate that any small revolver. The  .40 is a great man stopper. I am also comfortable with and have used almost extensively...the Glock safe action pistol platform. I have carried several Glocks of all sizes for years. The Glock feels at home in my hand. Others will disagree I'm sure..but that is my reasoning for not carrying a small revolver much at all.. I have carried a small revolver.. I still prefer my Glock.

Jkwas

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Jkwas
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 03:52:31 PM »
Are they actually making that, I had heard the Idea. The thought of making a pistol out of something as flamable as magnesium SEEMS idiotic.

I'm sure it's not pure Mg.  It's an alloy.  They used to make C-47's out of magnesium in WWII.    In fact, Ricky Nelson died in one of these planes when an Auxilliary heater malfunctioned and caused the frame to start burning.  They were overcome by smoke and crashed. 

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 07:42:24 PM »
I work as a service manager for a high volume automotive repair shop, lots of customers to greet every day. Sometimes I have to still crawl under cars in the parking lot to look at something for a customer. Hip carry is not an option when your crawling around on your back or your belly in front of the public, too many things can ride up or pull down. Even an ankle holster could be revealed. I carry an S&W 940, 5 shot 9mm Centennial in the right front pocket, in a Desantis pocket holster. 2 spare moon clips in the left front pocket. I wear black 511 pants as they work and go well with my uniform shirt. Also lots of pockets for my other tools of the trade, flashlight, clip knives ( one for work, and one for serious cutting ) The only semi's I could carry everyday all day are my .32's, and sometimes I do, but the revolver is always there. It is fast, and accurate, and with the crimson trace grips, ( I use the old plastic model for the smaller profile) is good in low light, which I mostly close the shop in. I keep a Kahr k40 in my desk for when I suspect trouble, and can put it behind the hip and just watch what I do, no crawling around in front of customers. If I have to, just make an excuse to wash my hands or something and take it out momentarily. Smaller semis, which I have several, can be finicky, shoot them alot before saying it's reliable. My Beretta Tomcat is very reliable, my NA Guardian so far is not so reliable. I have a para ordnance C6, LDA, 6 shot 1911, that is great, it will fit in a front pocket, but when grabbed in a firing grip in the pocket, won't come out >:( I actually took a 511 survey the other day and they asked for recommendations and I told them just that, make the front pocket openings bigger >:(
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
I have carried a 1911for a very long time, the department I was with issued  Glocks in .40 Cal when it first came out . I would not carry it for 2 reasons 1) The .40 caliber was not yet proven on the streets yet and 2) The glocks had some very disconcerting problems with them. So I opted for a S&W 586 in .357 and it had saved my bacon when I needed it.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:39:40 AM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 09:24:05 PM »
I have carried a 1911for a very long time, the department I was with issued  Glocks in .40 Cal when it first came out . I would not carry it for 2 reasons 1) The .40 caliber was not yet proven on the streets yet and 2) The glocks had some very disconcerting problems with them. So I opted for a S&W 586 in .357 and it had saved my bacon when I needed it.

Wheel guns are real guns! ;)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 12:51:38 PM »
The firearm is nothing more than a launcher for the bullet.  No matter what you feel comfortable carrying, make sure it is filled with quality, factory, self defense ammo.  Yeah, it's getting expensive, but carry ammo is no place to go cheap.  Practice with the cheap stuff or reloads, but don't bet your life on it. 

I carry both types, depending upon what I want to carry that particular day. 
Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk