Author Topic: Picking up a new 1911... One problem  (Read 21587 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: Picking up a new 1911... One problem
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 05:31:34 PM »
First thing I'd do is lube it and shoot it for function. If the tightness does not impede function, it will loosen up over time.

Also, if you put a standard spring guide and plug in it, try pulling the slide back about 3/4" and then turning the bushing (after you have taken the plug and spring out).
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 07:48:21 PM »
First thing I'd do is lube it and shoot it for function. If the tightness does not impede function, it will loosen up over time.

Also, if you put a standard spring guide and plug in it, try pulling the slide back about 3/4" and then turning the bushing (after you have taken the plug and spring out).

Ahh......you lost me.  
Don't you have to turn the bushing and THEN take the plug out?
Granted, pulling the slide back to get the barrel off the tightest part of the bushing should make it easier but it loads the spring also.

Lube it and shoot it. Get it good and hot and see if the bushing binds up. If it does it's a warranty fix - unless you don't want to ship it out and prefer the local gunsmith.

On edit:
OK, I'm caught up here....color me slow....I missed the part that the bushing was hanging up in the slide and not during initial takedown...my bad.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 08:37:17 PM »
Ok. Say I wanted to try to correct the issue I'm encountering where the bushing is so tight I can't remove it by hand even with the aid of the barrel bushing wrench. I can get it turned correctly to where it should come out but it won't. At least not with out taking a small rubber mallet and giving it some persuasion.

I'm a little confused about just what you are whacking here.  Are you hitting the bottom of the bushing (that restrains the spring plug) as it is turned sideways?  Can you get the bushing in & out okay without the barrel in place?  I'm wondering if the bushing is binding with the slide or with the barrel.

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 08:39:51 PM »
I got the bushing to turn so I could remove the plug. I can't get the bushing out of the slide but the barrel moves smoothly through the bushing. It's between the slide and bushing. I was told be SA customer service that this can happen until it's been fired a bit. So, I will shoot it and then if it still does this I will send it in.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 08:41:51 PM »
After you removed the Plug did you turn the bushing in the opposite direction before trying to remove it?
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 07:34:11 PM »

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »
After you removed the Plug did you turn the bushing in the opposite direction before trying to remove it?

Yes and I can see the lug on the bushing centered in the middle of the slide so it should just come out.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 08:51:14 PM »
Ok, Try using the barrel to pull the bushing out, fold the link down and slide the barrel against the bushing ,Kind of like a slap hammer,It should come out.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »
Ok, Try using the barrel to pull the bushing out, fold the link down and slide the barrel against the bushing ,Kind of like a slap hammer,It should come out.

That worked but it took a good light slap with a rubber mallet. Should it be that hard or will it loosen up like SA suggested?

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 08:57:03 PM »
yes it will get looser with use, You want a tight fit for best accuracy,but it shouldn't be that tight

-Sheriff Jim Wilson

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 09:22:23 PM »
That's what I thought when I tried to remove it. On the up side my neighbor, who has a SA GI model gave me his old guide rod so now my SA looks just like I want it with no FLGR sticking out. Looks sweet!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk