Author Topic: Black Rifle input please!  (Read 15493 times)

Bigpops

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Black Rifle input please!
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 10:10:40 AM »
Bigpops,
          Thought I'd give you an update on my testing.

So far, my round count is 1,500 rds total.  1,100 with no cleaning and not additional oil.  The last 100 rounds I used my suppressor, which really fouls things up fast.

I'm going to bore snake the chamber and barrel and add some oil tonight.  I'm teaching a course at USSA this weekend and I plan on running the suppressor for most of the course so it should get another couple of hundred rounds through it.  The suppressor should really help get it gunked up.  If it works well through the weekend, I'll clean it up and start some accuracy testing.

Nothing to report except it's boringly reliable to date (as long at the gas selector is properly set for the ammunition being used)

One thing I did notice was that my two ejector screws were loose.  I will definitely lock tight them into place when I decide to clean the rifle.  I wanted to see how long it would take before they started to loosen up.  I would call it around 1,200 rds. as to when they started getting loose.

Erik

Erik Thanks!

I picked my XCR up last week.  I had some ammo on order so while I waited I sent the lower off to Bill Springfiled in Colorado.  As evident by the XCR forum, he is the trigger guru for the XCR.  His price and turnaround time is outstanding too.

Would'nt you know it....the day after I mailed it off the ammo arrived!  So hopefully this weekend I will be a' blasting!  I am using the Federal American Eagle 55 gr FMJ's to break her in, and if it goes like I plan I will probably keep using the same ammo until I start to reload.

I'll let you know how my "backyard" testing goes.  I am sure it is not as rigorous as yours but I will try.  Hmmm, maybe I should attend one of your schools.....I'll have to start dropping hints around the house for Fathers day or my birthday.

Thanks again,
BP

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 07:46:49 AM »
Well, here's the final update.  During the course this weekend, I put another 300 rounds through the XCR with the use of the suppressor.  When I wasn't using it, I left it on the range with all the swirling dust and dirt.  This thing is absolutely filthy.  So much so, that I can't stand it anymore and I'm finally going to clean it up.  I can feel the dirt dragging and grinding on the bolt when I cycle it....UGH!

Final round count?  1,500 rounds.  The last 500 with a suppressor attached.

No cleaning, although I did pull a bore snake the clear out the chamber at the 1,000 round mark.

Except for the previously noted issue of having the ejector screws starting to loosen, The rifle ran perfect.  No jams of any kind.

I officially pronounce the Robinson Arms XCR fit for duty.  My recommendation....buy with confidence if it strikes your fancy.

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 10:37:32 AM »
Erik Thanks!

I picked my XCR up last week.  I had some ammo on order so while I waited I sent the lower off to Bill Springfiled in Colorado.  As evident by the XCR forum, he is the trigger guru for the XCR.  His price and turnaround time is outstanding too.

Would'nt you know it....the day after I mailed it off the ammo arrived!  So hopefully this weekend I will be a' blasting!  I am using the Federal American Eagle 55 gr FMJ's to break her in, and if it goes like I plan I will probably keep using the same ammo until I start to reload.

I'll let you know how my "backyard" testing goes.  I am sure it is not as rigorous as yours but I will try.  Hmmm, maybe I should attend one of your schools.....I'll have to start dropping hints around the house for Fathers day or my birthday.

Thanks again,
BP

Please let me know if your happy with the trigger modification.  The trigger on mine is useable but unlike Eric, I am not confident enough to work on it to get it a little lighter.

Lucas

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 09:35:35 PM »
Thanks alot for the good info.  Coming from Erik I take it as gospel.
By the ring of our swords, and the flash of our cannons, they will know that We Are Free

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 07:32:23 AM »
Yeah, the trigger has smoothed out some after the work I did.  It's useable, but take my complaining with a grain of salt.  I'm used to having a 2lb. competition trigger with no take-up or overtravel, so I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to triggers.

Lucas,
       Thanks you for the very kind words.  I don't know about Gospel though, but thanks! ;D

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 02:52:01 AM »

Bigpops

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 11:53:18 AM »
OK folks.....chaulk up another SATISFIED CUSTOMER!

Shipped my lower out to Bill (in Colorado) from Maryland, on Thursday.  Emailed him on Monday to see if it arrived.  I got a response of "sure did, work is complete and on it's way back".  I got it in the mail yesterday....which was Wednesday!!!!

Silky smooth trigger, great service, and a great price.  What else can you ask for? I had mine set for 4lbs.

Now...if the weather holds out for this weekend....BANG BANG!

Erik, thanks again for all of your input.  Very reassuring when a pro gives a thumbs up!

BP

Long Armed Devil

• Forum Member
  • Think... then speak
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 03:53:04 PM »
I don't own a XCR but have always thought that it was a rifle that was well thought out and practical. 

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 05:00:07 PM »
Sweet weapon...add it to the list.  A very long list. ::)
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 08:03:19 AM »
Okay, here's an update to the final update.

I used the XCR two weeks ago at a training conference in the desert and I put another 1,000 rds. through it in 3 days.  I had one malfunction when I was shooting from supine prone and I basically "limp" wristed the rifle.  I had another 2 fails to feed while testing a new magazine design for a new manufacturer.  All three failures could not be attributed to the rifle. 

I just returned from instructing a Tac Rifle course at USSA, where I put another 300 rounds through the rifle with the suppressor for a grand total of 1,300 rds. with no cleaning/no oil....again.

Total round count through the rifle?  Around 3,200 rds.  No failures attributable to the rifle.

Rifle has earned a spot on the short list of "starters" for serious social work.

Erik
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

VB3

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 04:33:43 AM »
I'm on my 2nd XCR. I think its an outstanding product. My 1st was a pencil barrel model, and my 2nd was an HBAR. I have nothing but good things to say about the XCR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk