Author Topic: XM193 Ammo problems?  (Read 9750 times)

Mel

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
XM193 Ammo problems?
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »
I have been reading on some of the other sites and there seems to be a lot of people having problems with XM193 ammo.  Seems the primers pop out on about 1 in 10.  Some have reported stopages because the primer gets in the trigger mech or the bolt.  Does anyone else have this problem and is Federal fixing it?

I was planning to buy a 1K case of XM193 but after hearing all these problems -- considering buying IMI M193

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: XM193 Ammo problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 01:23:15 PM »
I have been reading on some of the other sites and there seems to be a lot of people having problems with XM193 ammo.  Seems the primers pop out on about 1 in 10.  Some have reported stopages because the primer gets in the trigger mech or the bolt.  Does anyone else have this problem and is Federal fixing it?

I was planning to buy a 1K case of XM193 but after hearing all these problems -- considering buying IMI M193

I've never had the primers fall out of any factory .223 /5.56 MM ammo. But that doesn't mean it can't happen. I'm having a hard time believing it because Federal crimps the primer pockets in all of their XM-193 Ball per Mil-Spec. With that said I'd go with IMI ammo anyway. It's a hell of a lot better ammo, and it's priced better at just $318.00 for a case of 1,200 rounds from Wideners.  Bill T.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=9017&dir=18|830|845

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:48:47 PM »
Can't say I've ever had that happen to me. I shoot a couple thousand rounds a year for the last 10 years and so far so good with Lake City product.

IMI stuff is pretty good as well.

I have read on the inter tubes about a dislodge primer getting stuck in the weapon but I have never seen it happen in any training, practice or match I've ever attended.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 03:17:30 PM »
The only time I have ever seen it is with cap and ball revolvers.
10 minutes loading, 3 shots and another 15 minutes with a bent paperclip trying to unjam the fricking thing.
I don't shoot black powder any more, but I can give you a whole list of swear words if you need them.
Never seen or heard of primers falling out of any commercial ammo, only similar incidents I've seen or heard of were pressure issues.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »
The only time I have ever seen it is with cap and ball revolvers.
10 minutes loading, 3 shots and another 15 minutes with a bent paperclip trying to unjam the fricking thing.

Then when you get home 3 1/2 hours cleaning the damn thing, and another half hour in the shower trying to get the Sulphur smell off your skin. Add in at least 40 gallons of water, plus 3 cupfuls of laundry soap trying to do the same for your clothes.

I bought a cap & ball .44 back in the 70's. I shot it once, cleaned it, and never shot it again.   Bill T.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:40:51 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:54:29 PM »
Then when you get home 3 1/2 hours cleaning the damn thing, and another half hour in the shower trying to get the Sulphur smell off your skin. Add in at least 40 gallons of water, plus 3 cupfuls of laundry soap trying to do the same for your clothes.

I bought a cap & ball .44 back in the 70's. I shot it once, cleaned it, and never shot it again.   Bill T.

;D

Just take everything into the shower with you at one time and get it all done together, Bill!!!    ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 04:48:21 PM »
You guys have to practice speedloading a cap & ball. I am getting pretty quick with my 1851 Navy c&p. ::)

I just strip it, rinse it, oil it, re-assemble. Not much more time than any other revolver. Might have to try the shower thing, usually just my Glock goes in the dishwasher.... ;)

Back to the OP, Welcome Mel, I shoot the crap out of XM193, and keep plenty in reserve. I personally have not had an issue at all with it. Do you have any other info? Pics?

Most ammo carries a "lot" number; is there a reference to it somewhere? Federal/Lake City makes a BUNCH of ammo, and as many rds. that are fired it would be interesting to see some more evidence.

P.S. The IMI stuff is really good also. I keep that stash for the Zombie's..... ;D
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Mel

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 08:02:33 AM »
AR.com has several articles about primers backing out of XM193 and has several pictures.  I have read some also on some other sites as well.  I just wondered if it is still happening and if Federal is fixing the problem?

Need ammo!  I'm down to about 3k in 5.56/.223 so I am trying to refill my cache!  Just don't want to buy something that will jam up in stessful times to come!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »
Need ammo!  I'm down to about 3k in 5.56/.223 so I am trying to refill my cache!  Just don't want to buy something that will jam up in stessful times to come!

If you go with IMI you won't be dissapointed.  Bill T.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 12:57:23 AM »
If you go with IMI you won't be dissapointed.  Bill T.

+1
Then again, I've never been disappointed with XM193 either.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk