Author Topic: Firearm choices  (Read 10651 times)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Firearm choices
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 05:53:24 PM »
I have exactly one pair of the "tacticool" pants among my 15 pairs of pants (Yes-my wife complains about my portion of the closet) but I will buy more because like DakotaRanger they are much tougher than my Old Navy specials that are thread bare in the crotch after 5 wash/wear cycles (heavy squats=big legs).  They also have more room in the legs/buttocks area and are comfortable too. 
As for the gun list this is what I have and why:

.45 XDM- my only handgun and there fore my EDC when I get my permit.
870 HD- Home Defense
HK91-Big, heavy, main battle rifle fills the 50-300 yard need.
Ruger 10-22- Everyone should one at least one.  Plinker, small game, can be hushed if need be.
I have a single shot 20 guage too that I bought in High School that doesn't fit any thing other than a light bird hunting gun and can be used for defense in a pinch.

I need more guns!  My short list is:
AR in 300 AAC (looking to stay at or under 6lbs)- very veristile from what I've read and hushable
Ruger Scout Rifle-.308 in a reliable veristile rifle
.22LR Handgun- Plinking, training, and small game
.357/.44 revolver- Portable big-bore and versitile

I plan on reloading for all of the above (except the Rimfire  ;D ) with a Dillion 650 I hope to get in the next year.  Stinking teenagers are expensive!
He who dares wins.  SAS

Timothy

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 05:56:47 PM »
Even teenagers that smell good are expensive.  Remember, teenagers are nearly grown ups.  Make sure that when they leave the house, they leave for good!

;D ;D

My little girl will be 27 next spring!  ;)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »
My son is 18 and living on his own  ;D and has been pretty self-sufficient since he was 14.  My 3 daughters, 16, 15 and 14, think money grows on trees!  Sports fees alone have cost me over $300 since September! 

On top of all that, two of them hate me at the moment.  I must be doing something wrong, they should all hate me  ;D
He who dares wins.  SAS

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 06:23:37 PM »
I'm going to try and play by your rules, but I don't think I can do it exactly how you want. Here's what I've got so far for my needs/wants.

Every Day Carry: 

Extremely reliable.
Light enough that I can carry it comfortably and be willing to carry it whenever possible.
Simple operation and reloads.
Combat accurate at typical self defense ranges.

Home Defense Pistol:

Extremely reliable.
Weight/size isn't an issue.
Simple operation and reloads.  Preferably the same as my EDC
Combat accurate at typical self defense ranges.
Greater ammo capacity, 15+ rounds

Home Defense Long Gun

Maximum power at close range.
Minimal penetration through sheetrock/other building materials.
Reliable, simple operation.
Minimal effective length.

Hunting Long Gun

Really depends on what I'm hunting.
Accurate
Not too heavy/big
Reliable

Shooting Sports Gun
fun

I find it very difficult to get specific and use numbers and exacts.  Firearm needs/wants are very subjective.  What works for me isn't necessarily going to work for an 18 year old girl or a 70 year old man.  I hope this helps some.

Can yall even have any of that down there Phil?

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 06:46:47 PM »
This is my point, I think we get too caught up in the what instead of the why...  Why wouldn't mountain climbing gear or carharts be tough enough?  Why a re 4" .45?  Is it because you have determined that 8 rds with a slim reload is better than a double stack? and a bullet with a larger cross section was better that one moving faster?  What is a "large volume of fire in a short amount of time."  10 rounds in under 5 sec?  What does semi-auto have to do with over penetration?
Carharts probably would be good enough, but when I'm shopping for gear or clothes I also have to look at cost and utility and shipping (I hate crowds).  When I'm hunting I put in the knee pads on my 5.11, it's just more comfortable if I take a knee to shoot.  I've thought about getting a few of the Carhart hi-vis shirts just because the way people drive around here but I've started putting a couple flashlight on my pack with a strobe function...that's saved my bacon at least once.  The thing is every piece of gear I select I have a reason and have faith in.  I do like Carharts Polar gear, but that's about it.

IF I didn't have to conceal when I ride I might consider a large frame revolver, but I don't want to go up against a mountain lion with a .38 special and I'm not sure about controling a snubbie .357.  The .45 I am finding I carry more is a double stack, although I don't feel under armed with a single stack. I guess I worry about underpenitration more with those critters being a bigger threat than the two legged preditors where I bike. Biking I basically can reload with one hand if need be.  Shots on target that's about right I figure, although I'd hope one would do the trick

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:25:11 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 07:15:59 PM »
Do you want exact numbers? 

I'll probably get back later with more details.  I was just just curious about how detailed you want.

Also, why don't you want action type?  I would think that the differences between single shot, bolt, pump, and auto would be important and could vary for each of your categories.

I don't like the idea of having to hunt for a particular gun and it's accessories for a specific purpose, nor do many people have the money to buy special purpose guns beyond the level of rifle for deer  and shotgun for birds.
I like my guns to multi task.

For pistol applications it must be reliable, and chambered in a caliber not specifically designed to stop people 9mm or 38 are fine for SD but if that's all you're carrying when confronted by a bear, (we don't have Grizz here just Black bears) You are probably lunch, another, probably even more practical example, Your coworker says, Hey, we've got some time after work, let's get in a little hunting, I know a great spot." If you live where it's heavily wooded pistol's in the right caliber are fine.
I prefer something that will drop a hoodlum, but has enough velocity and penetration for game.
That kind of limits your choices, in a semi auto you have 10MM, which you can switch to .40 for games, in revolver you have .357, which also chambers .38 for games. There is .44Mag but then you start getting guns to large for CC.

On long guns I would say ignore the HD rifle, If your hunting rifle will take down a deer, hog or bear, it will drop the local scum, you will be comfortable shooting it, and you will be more familiar with it than with something that sits in the corner waiting for a riot. Another consideration is that often hunting rifles began as military designs any way. Most modern bolt actions are based on the Mauser action,  a boatload of deer have been taken with the M1, rifle or carbine, same with the SKS.
 Lever guns ? John Bufords troops held off Henry Heth's entire division at the beginning of the battle of Gettysburg.
Again, get one that will take down the game you hunt and it will be plenty for HD.

Another consideration , you included "Shooting sports", the type of sports you engage in will effect the guns you choose.
If you shoot "Cowboy action" you would be foolish to use semi auto's for your "emergency guns" since those are not what you practice with, Bird hunter/Skeet shooter ? Shot gun with interchangeable barrels instead of rifle for hunting/HD.

But no battery is complete with out a .22 pistol and rifle.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 08:51:21 PM »
EDC...Florida weather typically dictates a pocket pistol for me as I wear shorts and sport shirt, IWB not comfortable.. my perception of threat is met by mouse gun caliber... reliability and accuracy critical... larger caliber autoloader carried in an off body Jan Sport bag

home defense pistol... light equipped, night sights, autoloader, .40+ caliber

home defense long gun...light equipped pump shotgun with low recoil buck and sidesaddle for slugs...16" flat top .223 carbine with Scout light and tritium 1.5x20 ACOG

hunting long gun...autoloading 16" .308 with tritium lit reflex sight

competition gun.. autoloading 9mm

ronlarimer

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Balloon Goes Up
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 11:16:25 PM »
Ok, It was my game so let me give it a shot...

EDC - Slide width is important and should be under 1", Grip should allow for all fingers to be on the frame and bore axis should be minimized and sight radius should be in excess of 6". It should weigh under 35oz loaded.  I would like a simple manual of arms with no manual safeties and the trigger pull needs to be consistent shot to shot.  Reloads need to be "easy" and I would like a minimum of 12 rds on board (that should be enough for 3 BGs).  Should be capable of placing 3 projectiles on target in 1.5 seconds from low ready with FBI acceptable penetration.

Home Defense Pistol - Ideally should have the same manual of arms as my EDC.  Weight doesn't matter but up to ~45 oz more is better.  It needs to have a rail for white light and available lasers.  Maximum available capacity.  Should be capable of placing 3 projectiles on target in 1.5 seconds from low ready with FBI acceptable penetration.

Home Defense Long Gun - Can not pass through brick with lethal velocity.  Should be operable effectively by 12yo boy (defines weight, LOP and recoil).  Should be capable of placing 3 projectiles on target in 1.5 seconds from low ready with FBI acceptable penetration.  Should be capable of mounting a white light.   Should be less than 36" in total length.

Hunting Long Gun - Under 42" inches in total length.  Capable of bringing down the game humanly.  Capable of hitting a 8" circle at the longest conceivable shot distance with a capable shooter.  Weight under 8lbs.  Follow up shots should be available in 5 secs or less.

Shooting Sports Gun - Ideally same manual of arms as my defensive weapons.  Inexpensive ammo.  Minimal recoil.  Capable of making the required shots for the sport.  Gun dimensions don't matter so long as they do not be come a hindrance.
Ron

We do not get to pick when the balloon goes up, only how well prepared we are to deal with it.
Balloon Goes Up

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 11:24:09 PM »
Ok, It was my game so let me give it a shot...

EDC - Slide width is important and should be under 1", Grip should allow for all fingers to be on the frame and bore axis should be minimized and sight radius should be in excess of 6". It should weigh under 35oz loaded.  I would like a simple manual of arms with no manual safeties and the trigger pull needs to be consistent shot to shot.  Reloads need to be "easy" and I would like a minimum of 12 rds on board (that should be enough for 3 BGs).  Should be capable of placing 3 projectiles on target in 1.5 seconds from low ready with FBI acceptable penetration.

Home Defense Pistol - Ideally should have the same manual of arms as my EDC.  Weight doesn't matter but up to ~45 oz more is better.  It needs to have a rail for white light and available lasers.  Maximum available capacity.  Should be capable of placing 3 projectiles on target in 1.5 seconds from low ready with FBI acceptable penetration.

Home Defense Long Gun - Can not pass through brick with lethal velocity.  Should be operable effectively by 12yo boy (defines weight, LOP and recoil).  Should be capable of placing 3 projectiles on target in 1.5 seconds from low ready with FBI acceptable penetration.  Should be capable of mounting a white light.   Should be less than 36" in total length.

Hunting Long Gun - Under 42" inches in total length.  Capable of bringing down the game humanly.  Capable of hitting a 8" circle at the longest conceivable shot distance with a capable shooter.  Weight under 8lbs.  Follow up shots should be available in 5 secs or less.

Shooting Sports Gun - Ideally same manual of arms as my defensive weapons.  Inexpensive ammo.  Minimal recoil.  Capable of making the required shots for the sport.  Gun dimensions don't matter so long as they do not be come a hindrance.

Ok, pretty much agree with that.
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

ronlarimer

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Balloon Goes Up
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 07:00:28 PM »
Anyone else give it any thought?
Ron

We do not get to pick when the balloon goes up, only how well prepared we are to deal with it.
Balloon Goes Up

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk