Author Topic: How to buy a suppressor  (Read 50163 times)

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How to buy a suppressor
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 06:04:29 PM »
How does this work with a gun trust is that considered a person?
A trust is a fictitious corporation so it is not a person.  All NFA rules apply regardless of what means you use to acquire it; as a person or as the trust created by a person designed to own the NFA items.  The primary difference in the buying experience is you do not need fingerprints, photo and a letter of approval from the Chief Law Enforcement Officer.  The second difference is that all Trustees can possess the NFA item whereas an individual who buys is the only one who may legally possess the NFA items.  After you die, the Trust can ensure a lawful transfer of the NFA items where it may be a little more dicey for the heirs of an individual to possess, keep or sell the NFA items.
FTR, Paraguy is a gun nut, NOT a lawyer.  YMMV.
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 11:15:49 AM »
My check has now been cashed by the BATF, now the waiting begins for my tax stamp.  Took a couple of weeks for them to cash the check, now I am guessing it will be 6 months until she can come home with me;-)

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 07:53:46 AM »
My stamp for my suppressor arrived 9.5 months after purchasing.  I feel a little less infringed now;-)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 08:48:51 AM »
Hells Bells, babies don't take that long!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

sauerjc

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »
Question on ownership.  If i purchase a suppressor in a legal ownership state, take possession of the suppressor, and then move to non-legal state.  Can I leave the suppressor at my permanent residence in the legal state, or does the suppressor have to be sold and transferred?  Does one have to notify the ATF of address changes?

Thanks -
John
Hanover, MD

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:28:30 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 07:51:30 AM »
That would be ok, but bring it to the state that has prohibition would get you in hot water.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

sauerjc

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 02:52:21 PM »
Thanks. I just wanted to ensure that it was legal to leave behind locked up.   I knew I couldn't take it with me as I would be breaking state law.  I didn't know if you had to notify the ATF every time you moved.  it's a bummer that I'm likely moving to MA and they are illegal there as with several of my firearms.   Last time I lived there I had to leave my firearms at my brother's house.

Regards,
john

Timothy

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 04:40:25 PM »
Check with MA on the guns you own.  Because you're moving here, you may only have to register them.  Unlike other states like CT, you can't buy certain guns here but I think you can move here and they're grandfathered in. 

I'll ask my local PD and let you know.  You're probably correct about the suppressor, though!

Timothy

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
Just spoke with the local licensing officer of my town here in MA and here's what he's told me...

The suppressor is absolutely not allowed in MA under any circumstances.

All of your other guns are perfectly legal to bring into the state as long as you get your LTC (License to Carry) in the required time frame after gaining residence.  You will have to register ALL of your firearms, long guns, shot guns and handguns with the exception of muzzle loaders.

Your large capacity magazines are legal as well.  It's perfectly legal to own a Glock 17 with a 33 round mag as long as it wasn't purchased here.  Our firearms roster is what controls what DEALERS can sell, not what we can own. 

I would advise strongly that you to check all of this yourself by either talking to the local PD where you're moving or call the Firearms Bureau directly @ (617) 660-4780 or the AG's office in Boston.

Be safe...

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 12:35:41 PM »
I am not a lawyer, but if you leave your suppressor in that state, and someone lives there they could be in material possession of a Class III item.  As such, they and you could unknowingly be breaking a law.  This is where a Trust can address ownership, and whoever lives in your old residence where you left the suppressor would be able to possess it as a trustee.  Best to check with a qualified attorney.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk