Author Topic: Mil-Spec vs. Commercial Diameter Buffer Tube ??  (Read 31102 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Mil-Spec vs. Commercial Diameter Buffer Tube ??
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 02:15:37 PM »
Tim, First off, the buffer spring.
The difference in is between Rifle length, or carbine length, both the spring, and the buffer it's self are different.
(want to buy a rifle length buffer and spring ? )
Second, Armalite.
pretty much everything about Armalite is proprietary, Your SIL would have been much better off going with DPMS since their AR internals are pretty much one size fits all, less expensive, and have a much better chance of being compatible with other "AR" after market products.

Timothy

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 02:29:10 PM »
Second, Armalite.
pretty much everything about Armalite is proprietary, Your SIL would have been much better off going with DPMS since their AR internals are pretty much one size fits all, less expensive, and have a much better chance of being compatible with other "AR" after market products.

Well, he knows that now but after dropping 1600 bucks on a build, he's gonna be hard pressed to get his money back!

This is kind of typical for him though.  He's always looked at the end before he realizes where he should begin and generally he's making the wrong choices.  Thankfully, he's my daughters problem, not mine!

BTW, I call him my SIL but they're not married...

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 03:19:35 PM »
Are there two different buffers and springs available or are they interchangeable?

Just curious as it would seem that the ID is more critical than the OD for operation.  The OD of the buffer tube would effect different stocks that would fit I'd expect.  The other thing I can see is that the Mil-Spec tube has a slanted ass end to it to more closely match the shoulder angle of a stock.

Correct me if I'm off here...

The buffers and springs are standard as well. I have seen buffer tubes folded in half before and do know that the mil-spec are much stronger with a thicker wall even though they are slightly smaller in O.D. If you have a commercial tube and you just use your rifle for recreation etc. then it's probably never going to be an issue unless you want some higher end stock that is only made in a mil-spec version like a sopmod or some of the vltor models. I don't see why you'd ever do a build with a commercial tube when the price really isn't that much different. For as much as some accessories and parts cost I wouldn't think twice about spending an extra $15 or so upfront. If I ever end up with a rifle I plan to keep thats the first thing I do as well. I like all my stuff to be uniform and I usually have a stock or 3 laying around in a parts box so I want all my stuff the same. I think just as important as the tube though is that the castle nut is properly staked. If you have a commercial tube and an unstaked castle nut now is the time to change it and properly install a mil-spec tube.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 03:23:29 PM »
Again, I don't know squat about these guns but my SIL just did an AR10 build starting with an Armalite lower.  He bought a bunch of stuff only to find that none of it fit properly and after numerous returns and speaking with whomever he bought the lower from, he ended up having to buy nearly everything from Armalite to complete the build.

His cost to build was more than he would have paid for a stock Armalite with a flattop upper, less the bull barrel he used.

He was pretty pissed at that point.

Nice rifle but it's not a plinker by any means.  Damn thing weighs nearly 15 pounds.

AR-10's are an entirely different animal, 2 distinct types with almost nothing interchangeable between the 2. There are other manufacturers that use the Armalite pattern, I think Knight's/Stoner and LaRue if I remember correctly and the other style is the DPMS/CMMG and others. You can tell by the way the receiver is shaped at the rear but I don't mess with either platform.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »
All of the above mentioned is why I don't want to change the buffer tube. I just want a simple slide off / slide on installation. Otherwise your looking at opening up a Pandora's Box of problems. Stuck Castle Nuts, tubes and springs that either don't match, or else won't run correctly, etc. I just want to replace the stock, nothing else. If it ain't broke, I don't want it "fixed".

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 01:08:17 AM »

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »
All of the above mentioned is why I don't want to change the buffer tube. I just want a simple slide off / slide on installation. Otherwise your looking at opening up a Pandora's Box of problems. Stuck Castle Nuts, tubes and springs that either don't match, or else won't run correctly, etc. I just want to replace the stock, nothing else. If it ain't broke, I don't want it "fixed".
I guess you answered your own question then. As long as the stock you want is available in a commercial model then you're good to go. If the stock you wanted was a mil-spec only stock then you should buy the complete assembly so you have everything you need. You really don't have to worry about springs, buffers, castle nuts etc. though since they are all standard size with the only difference being rifle or carbine and the weight of the buffers.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 05:45:24 PM »
If you look at the Magpul reference, it shows that the commercial tube has truncated or flat threads and the milspec tube has threads that have a well formed peaks.  I imagine that the commercial buffer tubes were developed, because they are probably cheaper to manufacture.

http://cdn.magpul.com/downloads/Receiver_Extension_Comparison.pdf
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk