Author Topic: 300 Blackout question  (Read 12478 times)

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: 300 Blackout question
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 12:39:31 AM »
Exactly.  I've built 14 now and never had one not headspace...I have my local smith double check them ( he's a buddy of mine ) if you stick with quality parts, they are not at all hard to build.  About $100 bucks worth of tools and a little info and just about any body can build one.

okay, so I gotta ask.  If you have built 14 of them, versus what you could get off the shelf or off the rack as a complete gun from a major manufacturer, have you come out money ahead building it yourself?

tombogan03884

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »
okay, so I gotta ask.  If you have built 14 of them, versus what you could get off the shelf or off the rack as a complete gun from a major manufacturer, have you come out money ahead building it yourself?

At 14 I would guess money is not the object, it's the fun of doing it.
Either that or he is helping out less skilled friends, but that may not be a subject we really want to get into.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 02:40:13 PM »
okay, so I gotta ask.  If you have built 14 of them, versus what you could get off the shelf or off the rack as a complete gun from a major manufacturer, have you come out money ahead building it yourself?

I've built 1...And I can say for the parts I selected to use...if it were on sale "retail" as a custom build, it would be in the $1200-$1500
range.

In total I was right around $900. Including an AR-15 wrench, and a new gunsmith punch set from Midway.

The cool thing about the .300 is after SHOT, I'll bet even more folks will take an interest in it.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 05:50:26 PM »
I've built 1...And I can say for the parts I selected to use...if it were on sale "retail" as a custom build, it would be in the $1200-$1500
range.

In total I was right around $900. Including an AR-15 wrench, and a new gunsmith punch set from Midway.

The cool thing about the .300 is after SHOT, I'll bet even more folks will take an interest in it.

I hope so. I went to a large gun show here in ND, and not one vendor had any .300BLK. No uppers, no barrels, no ammo. I asked a lot, so maybe at the Grand Forks show in March I might see some. Lots of FUDDS up here though, and a lot of WWII collectors. Saw some nice Lugers, as well as modern stuff, just no .300. I was wearing our Range volunteer shirt (bright red, Range logo, even my name embroidered on it), so when I asked, I did have a couple of people ask me about the round.

Of course, I am still waiting to see and handle my first Kel-Tec RFB . . . . .  ???   ::)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

robheath

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »
I've only built 5.56 so far but I come out 3 or 400 dollars cheaper.  It depends on what parts I use.  I do it for the fun.  After I built the first one, all my friends wanted them.  I have them buy the lower because thats what is controled by the atf.  Then I see what they want in them and on them.   It,s just a blast to build them,
Give me liberty or I'll get my guns and get it myself.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:41:37 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk