Author Topic: Night Vison Scope for AR-15? Coyote Elimination Ideas? Night Shooting?  (Read 3199 times)

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I wish that I had a night vision scope on my ar-15 to take out some coyotes around my house. I've still got to check on the legality issues with it.. but if I can legally do it.. Is there a decent night vision scope out there for under $1000 that would actually work for this task. I would be taking shot from about 40-100 yrds away at night. Any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations for this task? I have zero night vision experience to date. I always see the coyotes in the middle of the night/ early morning right before sun up.. and then sometimes in the mornings hours.. but they are always out and about in the middle of the night here.. hence night vision??? 

ccd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
For Night Vision scopes you REALLY need 3rd generation due to imaging and tube life issues. I have been thinking of going this route for over ten years due to hogs, but have been hoping against hope that prices would come down ( I'll be waiting a LONG time I fear.) If you will be hunting in a wooded area you are more or less stuck with using a NV optic. If in open farmland (and you have good eyes) you should be able to get by using a decent scope(the moon is your friend) and a LIGHTFORCE setup.

You will most likely get a better, more thorough answer on one of the big predator hunting boards. Also contact your USDA county extension agent (or game warden) and he/she may be able to put you in contact with someone who currently is doing predator control in your area( you could pick their brain as to what equipment and local regulations.)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
As a former Boone Goon and Happy Appi,,, the price for this stuff is only getting more ridiculous by the month,..  Saw some night vision stuff on the web, but do not know how reputable it is for the price under $1000.00

Tough call.  Can you get them at dusk? Or morning? Similar to my squirrel problem, its dawn and dusk they rummage the most. ;D

As long as you don;t live in Alleghany County, you can get away with booby traps and as your avatar pic. More caliber.

Good Luck.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk