Author Topic: REVOLVERS for sale: Latest 686 and 66 for sale/auction  (Read 8709 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 467
REVOLVERS for sale: Latest 686 and 66 for sale/auction
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:17:05 AM »
[I thought about tacking this on the end of another thread, but figured it might deserve it's own post]

Checking this morning and there are two fairly priced 4"  686s for sale on Guns America that might interest some of you.

Here's the 686 [no dash]. This one's actually an "auction" ending on Sunday.  $500 right now with no bids.  Probably made in mid 1980's.  And I'd guess less than 100 round through it based on the owners description.
http://www.gunsamerica.com//936157226/Guns/Pistols/Smith-Wesson-Revolvers/Full-Frame-Revolver/SMITH_WESSON_MODEL_686_STAINLESS_357_MAGNUM_4_BARREL_RED_RAMP_ADJUSTABLE_REAR_SIGHT.htm?wl=1#

This one's a 66-1 w/ pinned barrel and recessed chambers.  Probably made in mid 1970's, only $400 buy now.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/952766335/Guns/Pistols/Smith-Wesson-Revolvers/Full-Frame-Revolver/Smith_Wesson_Model_66.htm

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: REVOLVERS for sale: Latest 686 and 66 for sale/auction
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:01:05 PM »
Here's a 4"  686  that's a " buy now " for $635 + $25 shipping. 

Note that it's a "no dash" and without the "M" modification that came along before they "-1".  Nothing exceptionally rare.  Just one of the first couple of hundred 686s made.

http://www.gunsamerica.com//914528824/Guns/Pistols/Smith-Wesson-Revolvers/Model-10/S_W_MODEL_68.htm?wl=1#

Will work for ammo

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:30:14 PM »
Very nice! Why didn't I buy one or more of these when there were hundreds for the pickings after a ton of PDs switched to autos?
I wasn't retired, had plenty of disposable income...instead I bought Sigs, blue S&Ws, rifles, S&W 629s...but didn't pick up a stainless 4" 357.

Anybody wanna buy a used kidney? Doesn't produce stones and has been well flushed with copious amounts of beer.
It's either that or I sell some guns and that is ALWAYS something I loath to do.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »
That Smith and a Colt Python have been a dream for me to own for many years.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: It Came Yesterday - 686 4"
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 07:28:42 AM »
Well it wasn't from a real "live" auction.  I got this off of Auction Arms.  My local shop called and said it was here, so we went out to pick it up last night.    The pawn shop selling this never once communicated with me, but they came through.  2 weeks and a day from when I mailed the money order till my shop got the gun, which is pretty good considering it came CA via USPS.   Oh, yes, I got this for $416  (plus $30 shipping).

(Sorry it isn't a better picture.  Just a quick point and shoot this morning.)

It does have some scratches.  Nothing big, but it appears to have been carried.  Locks up pretty tight and the barrel appears clean and sharp.   The action is smooth and feels good in DA, very crisp in SA.  This is a 686-1 and has the trigger stop.   Haven't opened the side plate but the stop has either been removed or rotated way back out of the way.   Not uncommon for a LEO carry piece.

Stainless, non-removable front sight with red insert and white outline rear.  Narrow serrated hammer spur and medium width smooth trigger.   Two piece Pachmayr grips.   

I'll probably adjust the trigger stop and see if I can get a pair of the newest S&W rubber grips which are a tad smaller in girth than the standard Hogue and Packmayrs.    My 686 collection is complete.  1 ea 4", 6" and 8-3/8" barrels.

To the range on Friday.

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:54:09 PM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 10:15:17 AM »
Good looking piece...I think the 686 is one of the best-ever revolvers. It's a really nicely made, nicely balanced handgun.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »
Very nice, Alf.  8)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »
Oh, yes, I got this for $416  (plus $30 shipping).

That explains the running when Alf sees a cop - HE STOLE IT!!  ;D
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »
alf, you are officially the S&W "Wheelie Gun Guy!".. 8)

Surface scratches just give it character. Hope it didn't burn your hands when you picked it up.....

;)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »

I sweated this one out.  The seller (a California pawn shop)  never once communicated with me.  For all I knew they'd gone out of business.   They didn't answer their phone when I called and this gun was their last listing on AA.    But the Lord was good to me.   And while the seller never communicated they did ship promptly once they received my money order.

As I've said, you have to be patient and not overbid. 

Oops, gotta go, there's a b&w circling the cul-de-sac.

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk