Author Topic: Getting started...  (Read 17942 times)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Getting started...
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »
So a very nice software engineer I work with gave me a box of reloading equipment (I'll inventory it tonight and post here) since he doesn't shoot much anymore.  I have a bench that will be perfect for this in the garage and have a nice piece of 3/4" 6061 to mount the press to (looks like a single stage press).  There is a Speer Reloadering Manual Number Nine (1974 vintage), a Winchester Ball Powder Loading Data booklet (1975) and a Reloaders Guide by a R.A. Steindler (1975).  40 year old data that is probably good, but I'm just looking for some verification.

He told me he had everything to load .223, 45 ACP, 9mm, 38 and .357 as well as brass and bullets.  I currently only own a 45 out of those listed and would like someone to check my methods as I do this.  I see a box of Speer 45 Cal. (.451") 225 grain Jacket Magnum Hollow point in the box but I thought 45 ACP was .452" diam? 

Anyway, I'll post later tonight with the contents.  I am off this week and have all week to play with this stuff, so I'll be buying some powder at least.
He who dares wins.  SAS

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Getting started...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »
Magoo, be careful with any powder you have been given...not that the guy would tamper with it, but be sure it is in the original container so you can be pretty sure it is what  you think it is.

Also, I learned that if powder was over 10 years old, it may have deteriorated and it's burning properties will have changed....and they change to make the powder burn faster, which could be real trouble in a small case even if you are using a load near minimum.

I'd say it just isn't worth taking the risk....use it to light your charcoal for grilling or the logs in your fireplace.

Also, you want to get a good general book on reloading.  Lots of practices of which you will want to be aware and a good introduction to reloading and how it all fits together.   Things like how crimping and bullet seating will affect pressure;  what type of crimp to use for which cartridge type; what the different dies are use for and tips for proper setup and much more

I started with  The ABC's of reloading many years ago and there are newer versions available.  My advice is not to skip this introductory reading.

You can find it here  
http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading-C-Rodney-James/dp/0873491904

I'm sure others will be able to recommend different books.  

I don't think there is a Reloading for Dummies mainly because if  you are a dummy, you have no business any where near a reloading setup.  

You will enjoy this part of shooting.

Good luck  :D :D :D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »
Read the "Reloader's guide " first before you do anything else.

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 01:11:18 PM »
MAGOO, most of what Solus told you is correct. BUT if he gave you any powder if it still has an ether oder it should still be good. If it doesn't use it for fertilizer on your lawn. DO NOT use it in a fireplace to start a fire or you may be useing your fire insurance to rebuild your home. Definatly get the ABC of Reloading. You can also go to the on line sites for different powder companies to get information on the different powders available. There over 100 different powders for rifle, pistol and shotgun. Useing the wrong one can be very bad for your health. Any of the newer reloading manuals will have scads of info for a .45 auto. Also jacketed bullets are .451 and cast bullets are .452 inches.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »
Magoo, Hodgdon has a web site that will give you a lot of good reloading info for Hodgdon, Winchester Western and IMR powders.  You can compare the current data with the manual you have to see how it compares.  You may or may not be able to match the exact components you have but a close match is USUALLY alright.  As a rule of thumb, if any of your components aren't exactly the same start 10% lower and work up UNLESS the data says not to!  Also, I almost never start at the max load listed and NEVER exceed it! Loading .45 is fairly simple.  You might be able to find the "ABC's" book at a gunshow at a good price.

Be safe and wear eye protection always and load when and where you will not be interrupted.  Let your family know this rule.

Richard

PS:  I never tempt fate and say how long I have reloaded and how safe I have been...if you know what I mean.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:11:12 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »
Among what others have said, I have found the updated Lee manual very helpful The whole first half of the book is a step-by-step guide and also has sections on bullet types and other tid-bits.

$14 at Midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/484416/lee-modern-reloading-2nd-edition-reloading-manual

You can find current, modern load data on all the major powder manufacturers web sites.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 06:53:40 PM »
First off there was no powder in the box.

So this is what I have:
Lyman ST turret press (I think-it says Lyman on one side with a S-T on the other)
RCBS Powder Measure
RCBS Powder Trickler
Lyman Universal Case Trimmer
Redding Master Powder & Bullet scale (old beam style)
RCBS Case Lube Pad
Lyman A-A 38/357 3 Die Set
Lyman A-A 9mm Luger 3 Die Set (I know-its 9mm Parabellum-DUH)
Lyman A-A 45 ACP RN, SWC 3 die set
RCBS 45 ACP SWC 3 Die Set
Lyman Tungsten Carbide Resizing Die 38/357
CCI Small Pistol Magnum, CCI Small Rifle and Winchester Small Pistol Primers (6.49-7.49 a 1000 when purchased  :o )
A bunch of Speer bullets for 45 ACP, 9mm, and 38/357
A bunch of Brass and some old MCM bullet cases

So I know I need powder, is there a good powder that will cover these three?  All I will reload now is 45 so I can live with just one powder.

I'll be reading the books tonight and tomorrow and probably wont do any reloading until Thursday.

Anyone have any experience with the Lyman ST?

Thanks in advance.
He who dares wins.  SAS

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »
If all you load is .45 ACP, I have good results with 5.0grs (actually lower than min charge) of Accurate #5 pushing a 200gr RNL or semi-wadcutter.
It is a mild shooting load, but can be bumped a good bit for more velocity.

There is load data for all the calibers you mentioned.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 11:10:33 PM »
most of the intermediate burn rate shotgun powders are pretty good for target loads with .45, .38/357, and 9mm.. the Winchester ball process (the individual particles may not look spherical, the term relates to the exterior coating used to control burn rate) makes a pretty cool burning propellant for cast bullets as it tends to not burn the base, which is very detrimental to accuracy...I like WST (Winchester Super Target) for .45, and WSF (Winchester Super Field) for 9mm....don't load much .38/.357

remember that all lead compounds are poisonous, so don't drink or eat while reloading, and be sure to wash your hands when done

new reloaders have a tendency to load individual primer tubes, looking directly over the tube into the tray... a detonation would have very serious consequences... wear eye protection

if you are interrupted, stop your reloading....

stand up to reload, and have a light so you can see the propellant level in the case

mark a spot on your bench to consistently place your powder scale, and level the bench as best you can....calibrate your reloading scale, and if you don't have a set of calibration masses, factory bullets in a couple of weights can be used to check your scale.... don't use on top of a styrofoam packing box as static charge can vary the reading

drop at least 10 charges when adjusting your powder measure...move the decimal point...

for 9mm (realistically all autoloader cartridges) cases get a set of Lee reloading dies as they size further down the case

if you use found on range brass, shake a handful at a time, and you will be able to hear the "flat" tone of cracked cases

good luck and enjoy

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 12:28:39 PM »
I picked up a new Lyman's reloading manual and a pound of Bullseye last week hoping to get a start on loading a few rounds but had to travel on short notice.  So having read some about reloading and a good idea of the important thing-SAFETY I have a few questions.

First is what are some of the preferred place or places (I've heard powder valley is a good start) to buy reloading supplies like powder, bullets, primers and brass?

Second are tumblers (vibratory type) necessary for brass and completed bullets?

And finally is it worth casting your own bullets if you can't get your hands on used wheel weights?

Thanks,
Bryan
He who dares wins.  SAS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk