Author Topic: 7mm Mag bases for scope, loctite or no?  (Read 8660 times)

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
7mm Mag bases for scope, loctite or no?
« on: April 11, 2008, 11:30:39 AM »
I'm just getting into bolt action rifles. I have a standard, plain-jaine Remington 700mm Magnum that I am going to be putting a Nikon Monarch scope on.. with weaver grand slam bases. My question is about the bases. Should I loctite them in right from the get go?.. or shoot the rifle first without loctite and see what happens. So, far people I have talked to said eventually the 7mm mag will work the scope loose if I don't loctite the base screws. Any thougts or info on a good solid base mounting system?? I would like to be able to remove the bases someday if needed, without them be "locktited in."

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: 7mm Mag bases for scope, loctite or no?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:36:14 AM »
Blue loctite.  You can unscrew them, but they will not unscrew themselves.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 01:12:29 PM »
I'm just getting into bolt action rifles. I have a standard, plain-jaine Remington 700mm Magnum that I am going to be putting a Nikon Monarch scope on.. with weaver grand slam bases. My question is about the bases. Should I loctite them in right from the get go?.. or shoot the rifle first without loctite and see what happens. So, far people I have talked to said eventually the 7mm mag will work the scope loose if I don't loctite the base screws. Any thougts or info on a good solid base mounting system?? I would like to be able to remove the bases someday if needed, without them be "locktited in."

I have a leupold one piece base on my 7mm mag and it works great. The instructions specifically say not to use loctite (because of their specifically designed screws), and Ive had no problems with it.

If not using leupold, I'd def use the blue loctite.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 08:37:48 PM »
The blue Threadlocker, "A literal drop on the threads". gives me piece of mind that it will stay put under many rounds, yet when I need it off, it comes off.

Don't get it on you clothes, for that it will be permanent.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »
hmm.. thanks for the replys guys.. (that rhymes lol) anyway.. so the blue seems to be needed.  umm any numbers of blue? If believe they have like 4 different grades of blue's.. or just any blue..  blue or blue blue or blue blue blue? .. lol

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:50:45 PM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »
Loctite 242 blue (medium grade)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 07:52:51 AM »
umm.. rgr that..  I think I'm off to get some loctite..  ;)

mward58

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 02:56:10 PM »
yep, blue loctitie. I had some screws blow off my 357 Uberti cattleman at the range and the boys at the counter loaned me there's and I have never had a problem since. They were debating the different loctites to use so if you have any questions a knowledgeable gunshop person should be able to meet your needs.

TexGun

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 08:26:25 PM »
Ditto...  I use loctite on all of my bases. 

ismram

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 10:44:59 AM »
Hawkfish, I have a 7mm mag A-Bolt I've shot it for about 7 years. No loctite and no problems. But I see no reason not to use it if it gives you peace of mind.
IDPA, NRA (IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR MILITARY PLEASE STAND IF FRONT OF THEM!!!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk