Author Topic: Another lesson learned  (Read 13396 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Another lesson learned
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 11:17:43 PM »
Tom... I love a challenge...and it was after 25years of 1911s for USPSA...I switched to a thumb forward grip at the same time

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 02:05:23 PM »
So I acquired a couple scrap plates that are 1/2" Stainless and used one to mount my press on my bench, instead of the 3/4" plywood I used before.  The difference in rigidity gives a better "feel" when seating primers and a more solid feel when seating bullets, now I just need to bolt the bench to the concrete floor so I'll quit tipping the entire bench back on the tight primers  ;D

BTW does anyone sort their brass by manufacturer?  I noticed that Remington brass had fewer issues when chamber checking than the other stuff I have (mostly Federal and Winchester) and started sorting last night as I loaded 150 rounds for my next USPSA match.  I may pull 10 of each to run across the chrono to see if there is any significant difference.

I must say this is more fun than I thought reloading would be, although there are times when it feels like a chore.  Even so I am going to load up 500 rounds for my son's Christmas present this year and my daughter is going to have to help out loading 9mm if she is serious about shooting USPSA with me.  A family that shoots together  ;)
He who dares wins.  SAS

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 08:04:44 PM »
I won't say it's a waste of time sorting brass but.....You might have umpteen lots of brass from the same mfg. which will differ slightly from each other.  This may or may not make a difference with your loads which you may or may not be able to tell.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 08:28:39 PM »
I won't say it's a waste of time sorting brass but.....You might have umpteen lots of brass from the same mfg. which will differ slightly from each other.  This may or may not make a difference with your loads which you may or may not be able to tell.

FWIW

Richard
That's what I figured early on but I was taking my time (escaping 3 teen aged daughters) and chamber checking every round when I noticed a pattern with the Remington brass.
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »
I haven't heard of it being an issue with rifles, but on pistol calibers some companies make "non toxic" ammo.
At least in the 45 acp they use a small pistol primer instead of the normal large pistol primer.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:17:16 AM »

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 04:36:58 AM »
Tom, that wasn't what I was refering to but that is a good point.  Up to now, I haven't had a problem with .45 brass w/sp primers.  Because I am unable to sit at the reloading bench or puter very long I take my time and am able to feel the resistence of the primer if I missed it in visual check so no problem.  I have read that htere is more varience in how you run the press than in lots of brass.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 09:21:11 AM »
I have taken to the military method on rifle brass:

First I sort by mfg, then I sort each by weight.

It may seem like over kill, but there is research that shows it makes a difference.  I'm not that good a shooter, but it does give me every possible chance to make sure I catch defects in advance.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 12:32:25 PM »
I have taken to the military method on rifle brass:

First I sort by mfg, then I sort each by weight.

It may seem like over kill, but there is research that shows it makes a difference.  I'm not that good a shooter, but it does give me every possible chance to make sure I catch defects in advance.

For me it gives me the confidence that the reason I can't hit anything is because of the idgit behind the trigger not because of the idgit that reloaded the ammo-one and the same BUT I want to be able to limit the variables as much as I can.
He who dares wins.  SAS

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 10:57:46 PM »
I sort by mfg, head stamp and weight.   I do wieght for bullets as well.   about every 50 rounds or so. I pull one from the bin and wiegh it.  If its what it should be, I dump the bin into the box, if not I start wieghing every one.   I have never had a squib or a overcharge.  I hope I never do.  This helps prevent that.   yeah I would have to wiegh every one, but with a 1050 that would really slow things down. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk