Author Topic: Help- please, AR basics  (Read 15584 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Help- please, AR basics
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 02:45:22 PM »
Dude, Go to Brownell's or Midway, if you can work a screw driver you can do it yourself.

Here's the pair, front and rear, $90

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=44044/Product/AR-15-M16-MBUS-GEN-2-SIGHT-SYSTEM

Heres a sling swivel that attaches to the rail on the Handguard.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20697/Product/AR-15-M16-RAIL-SLING-ADAPTER

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 04:01:31 PM »
Dude, Go to Brownell's or Midway, if you can work a screw driver you can do it yourself.

Here's the pair, front and rear, $90

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=44044/Product/AR-15-M16-MBUS-GEN-2-SIGHT-SYSTEM

Heres a sling swivel that attaches to the rail on the Handguard.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20697/Product/AR-15-M16-RAIL-SLING-ADAPTER
I have no rail on my handguard. I have to drill and tap. Granted, its not rocket science, but I'd as soon let someone who knows what they're doing do the work. If that were it, I'd get out the drill and go for it. But as your post shows, the front sight won't work for a gas block mount, and the rear takes up more real estate that I have on the reciever rail. If I'm going to fix it, I'm going to fix it right. As it is, I have a very accurate range toy. It would be more accurate it I swapped out the eotech for a scope. Its a fun gun and I like it, but its not a weapon any more than my 10/22. They'll both do in a pinch, but its not what I want in a SHTF situation. Its frustrating. I should either reconcile myself to this fact, or just save my pennies for a new upper, as the lower is great. It has no dust cover or F/A, and I couldn't care less. The trigger is great. DPMS makes a great gun. I just thought it would be easy and relatively inexpensive to upgrade. I'm not caring about easy at this point, I don't mind doing some work, but the expense part? Well, it was the worst hundred bucks I ever saved, lets put it that way.
FQ13

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 06:24:50 PM »
Heck, FQ...everyone is in the AR parts business these days.... Wal-mart has BLACKHAWK! aluminum hand guards with rails and covers for around a $100.

And then there's any price you care to pay here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ar+handguard&sprefix=ar+hand%2Caps%2C201
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ar+handguard&sprefix=ar+hand%2Caps%2C201

Every wally world in my area has AR's for $700 to $1100 (depending on the model. I just bought two DPMS M4 carbines for $650 each, out the door, at an area gun store............ which is about $150 less than normal for most gun stores, but I had connections.  ;D

Now I'm researching sights and scopes and such also.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 06:43:12 PM »
I have no rail on my handguard. I have to drill and tap. Granted, its not rocket science, but I'd as soon let someone who knows what they're doing do the work. If that were it, I'd get out the drill and go for it. But as your post shows, the front sight won't work for a gas block mount, and the rear takes up more real estate that I have on the reciever rail. If I'm going to fix it, I'm going to fix it right. As it is, I have a very accurate range toy. It would be more accurate it I swapped out the eotech for a scope. Its a fun gun and I like it, but its not a weapon any more than my 10/22. They'll both do in a pinch, but its not what I want in a SHTF situation. Its frustrating. I should either reconcile myself to this fact, or just save my pennies for a new upper, as the lower is great. It has no dust cover or F/A, and I couldn't care less. The trigger is great. DPMS makes a great gun. I just thought it would be easy and relatively inexpensive to upgrade. I'm not caring about easy at this point, I don't mind doing some work, but the expense part? Well, it was the worst hundred bucks I ever saved, lets put it that way.
FQ13

No you don't

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41045/Product/AR-15-M16-UNDER-FOREARM-INTEGRATED-RAIL

You can do the whole thing yourself with nothing but a screw driver and MAYBE an allen wrench, (I didn't look at the rail )
for   <$150.
It sounds like your local gun guy is trying to hose you.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 06:49:06 PM »
It sounds like your local gun guy is trying to hose you.

Sadly, that happens all too often.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:45:42 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 06:51:59 PM »
Sadly, that happens all too often.

Car mechanics are the same way.
A lot of them see a woman, or a guy who is not that type of do it himselfer and they think "$PAYDAY$"

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 06:57:24 PM »
Hey FQ, they also make plastic Picatinny rails if you want to go super cheap. http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4750&storeid=1&image=ergoprail.gif&CFID=15524018&CFTOKEN=37214048 Keep in mind that the rail is parralel to the handguard and not the barrel.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

usmcdadx2

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 08:09:48 AM »
FQ...I didn't realize any of the Sportical models came without a railed gas block. My LoPro does have one and while I normally don't mount any BUIS the couple of times I have they lined up fine.
Gas blocks are easy to change and not all of them are pricey and a buddy of mine put a front sling swivel in his really cheapass plastic Olympic handguard in about 15 min with nothing but a drill, an Uncle Mike's swivel, a black nylon washer and small aluminum washer a lock nut and some JB Weld, looks and works great. I get that the rifle wasn't what you hoped for when you bought it but you have found it accurate and reliable so spend a little time and money to "make it yours". They really are very easy to work on.
Personally I would rather spend the money tweaking a gun I know than sell it in the hopes I find something "better". Then again, why sell? One AR never seems to be enough!

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 08:18:07 AM »
FQ...I didn't realize any of the Sportical models came without a railed gas block. My LoPro does have one and while I normally don't mount any BUIS the couple of times I have they lined up fine.
Gas blocks are easy to change and not all of them are pricey and a buddy of mine put a front sling swivel in his really cheapass plastic Olympic handguard in about 15 min with nothing but a drill, an Uncle Mike's swivel, a black nylon washer and small aluminum washer a lock nut and some JB Weld, looks and works great. I get that the rifle wasn't what you hoped for when you bought it but you have found it accurate and reliable so spend a little time and money to "make it yours". They really are very easy to work on.
Personally I would rather spend the money tweaking a gun I know than sell it in the hopes I find something "better". Then again, why sell? One AR never seems to be enough!
Debil get behind me! ;D Seriously, it really is just me being mad at myself for not doing my research before I bought and finding that the $100-$150 I saved was no savings at all. If I could get more space on the rail for a rear buis, I could mount a front gas block sight and still fit the optic. It just pisses me off that I'm at least $200 minimum in parts to make that happen when if I just shopped smarter it wouldn't be an issue. I consider it a lesson learned.
FQ13

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »
you didn't ask specifics... I'm a 3gun and practical rifle game player...some comments from an old fart

most everyone uses a forged 7075 T5 receiver
chrome lined barrels and chambers are accurate... mine shoots 4" at 400m
for consistent accuracy you need a full float front end, and not necessarily one with sharp rails
you need a flat top if you plan on shooting optics... I DO NOT have backup sights... I shoot a 4x32 TA31F with red chevron that cost more than the rifle
the bolt carrier needs to shroud the firing pin, and the carrier key needs to be properly staked
if you are particular, get a magnifluxed and prooftested bolt of Carpenter 158 or 9310
I use RRA NM triggers in all my rifles, even my Armalite 15T
if you shoot a short barrel it needs M4 feed ramp cut
a 4.2oz buffer seems to work best
if you play gun games a compensator is a good option
an A1 stock fits most better than an A2
you probably need a grip that puts your trigger on the tip pad

that gets you in the ball park

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk